R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default first nitro!

i just bought a nitro sport off ebay. its my first nitro, real r/c for that matter. i was wondering where i could go to do some reading about them. i have been reading some here and other sites. i guess my guestion is what do i need to know so i dont burn the engine up or fry something?
wlvrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm quite surprised you started off with an old nitro R/C for a first...that's quite a learning curve. To read up on your Nitro Sport, check the Official Traxxas forums or just ask us what you want to learn about in particular.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Tech Master

HeY!!!

One of most important things is to constantly stay on top of the motors settings because they will constantly change all the time.... mainly the low and high end and all that should be on the traxxas website... just go to your lhs and they should help ya tune it out and explain everything in detail.... if not we could prolly tell ya what to do, or try to help. good luck and have fun!!
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

learning curve? how so? ive been to the traxxas site and it wont let me register and im waiting to get an email back for them to get registered.

how do i monitor and change the settings?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvrn
learning curve? how so? ive been to the traxxas site and it wont let me register and im waiting to get an email back for them to get registered.

how do i monitor and change the settings?
Learning how to "monitor and change" the settings is basically the learning curve. Nitro takes a good year to get the hang of tuning as far as I'm concerned. First thing you should do is get yourself a temp gun. Tower sells one by duratrax for about 26 bux. You want to run it around 220 degrees generally. The cooler you run it the longer the motor lasts. You keep it cool by adjusting the carb mixture settings. The more rich (more gas going into motor) you run it the cooler it stays.

Now you've also got to balance the low speed needle and the high speed needle together to get the acceleration and top speed you want while maintaining a decent temp. Also thrown in the mix is the idle speed, brake adjustments, and clutch tuning. It's a ton of stuff to learn how to adjust, and how to troubleshoot. If your settings get off to much, the thing won't even start. Or the glow plug could fail and you may attribute not starting to bad settings or worn motor. I could go on and on. But I'll give you a couple good tips.

Always tune the high speed needle first. It feeds the low speed needle.
Then tune the low speed needle for the take-off you desire.
Then tune the idle so that it's not to high, yet not so low it stalls.
Brakes, well that's a personal preferance, just set enough to hold it still at idle to begin with. And set it with the linkage, not the radio trim.
* To richen turn counter clockwise, to lean turn clockwise.

Once you get good enough after a long time, you won't really need the temp gun. You'll be able to set it by feel, sound, and performance. Good luck to ya.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Welcome to nitro! You'll love it.

Brief overview with some startup/shutdown vitals.

Do yourself a favor, right now, don't hesitate, invest $25 in an Ofna Micro or other failsafe and search forums for throttle return spring.

If you lose radio signal, often the engine will go to full throttle and what happens next is anyone's guess. Usually it's an unfortunate meeting with an immovable object or a blown engine. A failsafe closes the throttle and applies full brake until you can figure out what went wrong.
rocknbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

thanks guys!! this helped out a lot! once i get to playing around im sure ill have more question i just need to start messin with it
Old 06-04-2005, 04:29 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

hey!, im new to nitro too! i just ordered a nitro rush off ebay should be delivered soon! go to www.nitroreview.com too read information on nitro trucks (nitro sport)..i had to post the pic lol
Attached Thumbnails
first nitro!-hpi-rush_.jpg  
st_driva23 is offline   Reply With Quote