Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Slash 4x4 sway bars are worthless >

Slash 4x4 sway bars are worthless

Slash 4x4 sway bars are worthless

Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry Slash 4x4 sway bars are worthless

The sway bars do nothing! When you compress one side, the sway bar should compress the other side, but it does nothing. I have the "stiff" bar installed. I confirmed this with my friends slash as well, it doesn't work on his either. Is there a sway bar for the slash that actually works, mods I can do, or do I need to adjust something?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah i would be in for an upgrade. I bent mine in the front and have been running without it and it drives the same. So some sway bars that worked would be great.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is the case with just about all sway bars. It doesnt lift the inside tire during cornering as much as it pushes the outside tire down. Just adds tension to aid the spring, not resist it. Youre not gonna a sway bar to act like it does on other cars in a 4wd SC, htey are just too top heavy.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Hoese37
It doesnt lift the inside tire during cornering as much as it pushes the outside tire down. Just adds tension to aid the spring, not resist it.
Yes.

Youre not gonna a sway bar to act like it does on other cars in a 4wd SC, htey are just too top heavy.
Untrue, weight has nothing to do with it, its a problem with either the design or torsion strength of the bar. Testing the bar with no wheels touching the ground takes the weight distribution out of the equation.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Since the sway bar does nothing to actually prevent sway, it only acts as a negative component to the suspension, introducing un-tunable and un-dampened resistance, and more friction points.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

I know on my TS4 if I remove the rear swaybar, I really have to lower the ride height to keep from tractin rolling. So yes, they do actually work.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

The swaybar is NOT supposed to lift the inside tire. That is a SIDE EFFECT of a stiff swaybar and a soft shock spring.

If the bar bends, then the force bending the bar goes somewhere, it's going into the outside tire. Your swaybar works fine.

The swaybar takes the inside shock springs force, and transfers it to the other suspension arm. If the swaybar is stiffer than you shock spring, then your inside arm may lift. Not the actual purpose of a swaybar, but can also help as well, even though it's more of a side effect.

Look and see how much the bar is bent when you roll the chassis over by hand. Remove sway bar and bend it in your hands the same amount. That's how much force it's applying to the outside wheel.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Oh boy, this is gonna be a good one once.....well I'll just say it's gonna be good.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

You can see the effect better if you disconnect your shocks.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
The swaybar is NOT supposed to lift the inside tire. That is a SIDE EFFECT of a stiff swaybar and a soft shock spring.

If the bar bends, then the force bending the bar goes somewhere, it's going into the outside tire. Your swaybar works fine.

The swaybar takes the inside shock springs force, and transfers it to the other suspension arm. If the swaybar is stiffer than you shock spring, then your inside arm may lift. Not the actual purpose of a swaybar, but can also help as well, even though it's more of a side effect.

Look and see how much the bar is bent when you roll the chassis over by hand. Remove sway bar and bend it in your hands the same amount. That's how much force it's applying to the outside wheel.
So your theory of how it works is similar/same as mine?

Originally Posted by racer1812
Oh boy, this is gonna be a good one once.....well I'll just say it's gonna be good.
Got your finger on the "Lock Thread" button?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

^^^I'll just say that going to Google first would have been less painful than getting schooled/educated on here
Old 06-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

So your theory of how it works is similar/same as mine?

?
Yes. I was just expanding on what you said.

If the sway bar bends, the force that's bending it goes somewhere.

And the bar only bends when one arm is moving different than the other. So regular bumps are absorbed softly without swaybar effect.

Somewhere on here, years ago, it got spread that the bar is supposed to lift the inside tire allowing the inside of the car to fall back down to earth. While that might actually happen a little in bumpy turns, it just ain't so. The g force rolling the car in turns is greater than that.

Thanks to 1/8th scale "stiffbar softspring" setups, the side effect of lifting the inside tire became obvious to see and everyone thought that was the bars only purpose. It's not. It's supposed to stiffen the outside suspension in turns.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I realize this is an old thread, but installing the front swaybar on my 4Pede (same kit as the 4Slash uses) made a significant difference in handling. You can only confirm that a swaybar works properly and isn't binding by disconnecting the shocks before moving the suspension. Otherwise, the spring pressure from the shocks will keep the swaybar from lifting both sides of the suspension simultaneously. That doesn't mean it isn't working, it just means the two sides of the suspension aren't locked together. They're not supposed to be locked together anyway. The swaybar is only there to reduce body roll, not eliminate it.