R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Factory Team GT VS. Losi AD2

This is probably the best forum I have ever been on. Anyway I am about to buy a new nitro truck to start racing. I am in a bind with which one to buy, AD2 or FTGT. I had a GT back in 1997 when I used to race, but I got rid of it when I started college. I like how the Losi is ready to race out of the box; the GT you have to buy extra parts from Crescenzi to make it drive smoother, but this does not mean I am biased to either one. Please help a fellow racer out on deciding which truck to buy. Take it easy fellas.
Brad8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mountaindr3wz

i would go with the ad2 beacuse of of the great durability it has for a small truck also its interchangeable tires
mountaindr3wz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Default Race Truck

Well, this is just me, but I'd go with the GT because they are easier to work on. Its still raceable too.
ChrisOFNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

What kind of track are you running on?
For bumpy/loose tracks the GT will work well...
For hard packed track the AD2 is dominant...
This is what I've heard from everybody, but I think on the club level it may not be too big of a deal. I woudl probably personally go with the AD2, since it has alot of really nice features. Its true the GT is a bit easier to work on, but once you get the hang of the NT its really easy as well. It might just come down to what your LHS carries more parts for...waiting for parts sucks! Also go down to your local track and see what the guys there are running.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Tech Adept

The track conditions vary, I race at three different tracks. I want the most versitile truck, and I dont want to get stuck buying a truck and a new one comes out ie the GT (I read about a new one coming out in Xtreme RC magazine). Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I don't think the new GT is coming out anytime soon. The GT is more durable, and easier to work on. It has shown its versatility by the fact it can win on any track, although I totally agree the Losi is probably better on smoother tracks. If parts availability is equal, I would get the GT. If not, get whichever parts are easier to obtain. The trucks are very different, but until you try them you won't know which suits you better. See if you can test drive them from some of the racers at the tracks.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Thank for the suggestions fellas. I loved my RC10GT when I had it, but the only thing that is making me lean towards the AD2 is that I wont have to buy too many hopups to get it running smooth. The GT you have to add a bunch of widening kits from Crescenzi to get it planted. I like my trucks as wide as the rules allows; it gives me more confidence on landing big jumps.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Go with the AD2,Great truck.
Sofast-NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To me, at a club level the AD2 (and AD1 for that matter) are 10x easier to get setup to be fast. The GT can be a bit difficult, and I didnt like it as much. The new Losi has lots of rear traction which make the car easy to drive. I dont think either are hard to work on, the losi has a radio tray, so I guess its "more difficult". Ive only broken about 3 parts on my AD2, and as you said with the GT if you do get the widening kits, and break say a castor block. When you go to buy new ones you have to drill out the hinge pin holes to accomodate the bigger pins. Either truck is equally fast, I just its easier to get a AD2 to be fast for a club level racer. Good luck with your decision, an just remember to race it and have fun!
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I like my truck better at the stock width. Only hopup you need is a trans brace.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I really like my gt. It's got the widening kits on it. They make it much more stable. I keep front spares already assembled just in case. But haven't broken a steering block yet in over a year of racing. Funny b/c I see T4's break them all the time. ??? Anyhow I would like to drive the new ad2 just to see what it feels like. I've never drivin a losi. But the gt I can tear down and have back together in no time at all. That means alot to me as I do it quite often. But I've never worked on a losi so can't compare in that department.

Personally I'd say go to the track and see if you can get anyone to let you drive their trucks. Try em both out and see what you like better. I'd let you try mine if you were careful with it. Just have to pick what you want. I don't think one is any better than the other. But have heard plenty of times that the losi is easier to drive outta the box. Good luck and welcome back to Nitro!!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Id say the AD2 takes about 5 more minutes to completely un-assemble (for cleaning puproses). Ive had them both. They both are good. Go to the tracks locally and figure out who is running what. The more of those cars, the more setup help you can get. Id go with the AD2, I love the truck. But the GT is still national champ and is very race worthy.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Default GT vs AD2

I see the losi trucks break here and there at my track all the time. AE trucks hold up somehow.
ChrisOFNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:11 AM   #15
Tech Regular

I owned and racet two gt's for over a year, every weekend, and liked the truck.

for the last four months or so I switched, to ad2, and like it MUCH BETTER, it requrires far less maintence to keep running, and is much easier to set up for tracks, and you dont have to put a ton of mods on it, and its TOUGHER THEn the gt

The ad2 handles far better, and every gt owner i have let drive my losi agrees on that.

Quick change wheels, for the rear, wich can be interchanged to the front, really comes in handy!!!

Losi tech support to be able to talk to factory team drivers is far better the associate, wich has non.

good luck
D Mac is offline   Reply With Quote