New to RC Cars

Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Default New to RC Cars

Hey everyone!
I've just started getting into this hobby and I would like to know what is a good Electric Off-Road car to buy and what things to buy with it? If anyone could help me it would be nice By the way I don't know anything at the moment so bare with me Thank you!
Runtskies is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Blackfoot Idaho.
Posts: 3,426
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Are you looking to race or bash with it?
rcgod is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM
  #3  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Are you looking to race or bash with it?
Not knowing the term bash, but not racing that's for sure.
Runtskies is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by Runtskies View Post
Hey everyone!
I've just started getting into this hobby and I would like to know what is a good Electric Off-Road car to buy and what things to buy with it? If anyone could help me it would be nice By the way I don't know anything at the moment so bare with me Thank you!
Originally Posted by Runtskies View Post
Not knowing the term bash, but not racing that's for sure.
This is more of a racers forum, so I'm not sure this is the best place to ask and there's really no good answer to your question. It's like asking, "what's best, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Honda?"

But my advice would be to spend a lot of time reading around the different topics and educating yourself what's out there, and then searching for and going to the manufacturer websites to further educate yourself what's available, a then finally (since you didn't mention how much money you plan on spending) take your budget and DOUBLE since things always end up costing more than you probably planned for.
jonzee is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
symmetricon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 4,882
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Find out what you want to do with you rc car, and what to expect from it. Then you should find which scale/type/platform of rc best suits what you want to do. Take your time and read alot or you will end up having buyers remorse.
symmetricon is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM
  #6  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

What kind of terrain do you plan to run it in? I highly recommend building a kit. You'll learn so much about your car and know how to fix it.
CTRJ is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (71)
 
mkiiina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frisco TX
Posts: 2,403
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jonzee View Post
This is more of a racers forum, so I'm not sure this is the best place to ask and there's really no good answer to your question. It's like asking, "what's best, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Honda?"

But my advice would be to spend a lot of time reading around the different topics and educating yourself what's out there, and then searching for and going to the manufacturer websites to further educate yourself what's available, a then finally (since you didn't mention how much money you plan on spending) take your budget and DOUBLE since things always end up costing more than you probably planned for.
I don't think this is any more a racer forum or a basher forum. The header says "rctech" not "rc-racers only".

If you want something durable, reasonably quick, with easily available parts, buy a Traxxas 4x4 Slash. Will have everything in the box you need to get rolling.
mkiiina is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
  #8  
Suspended
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cali
Posts: 4,003
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
I don't think this is any more a racer forum or a basher forum. The header says "rctech" not "rc-racers only".

If you want something durable, reasonably quick, with easily available parts, buy a Traxxas 4x4 Slash. Will have everything in the box you need to get rolling.
I agree, very basher and newb popular place and as far as the question, I can assure ya there are vehicles for every style of driving, so u just decide what style it is and then go from there
theblitzkidd is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Blackfoot Idaho.
Posts: 3,426
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

That's what I was thinking. Slash 4x4.

Some good info also on WWW.beatyourtruck.com or WWW.rcshortcourse.com
rcgod is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 AM
  #10  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 138
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Sounds like you aren't interested in racing. Traxxas makes a lot of RC's for different types of driving you might want to do. Just make sure you pick up the right batteries and charger with whatever you purchase! A couple of new Traxxas RC's do come with a charger and a battery combo if I am not mistaken.
JetBlast is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
  #11  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
rjohn929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jonzee View Post
This is more of a racers forum, so I'm not sure this is the best place to ask and there's really no good answer to your question. It's like asking, "what's best, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Honda?"

But my advice would be to spend a lot of time reading around the different topics and educating yourself what's out there, and then searching for and going to the manufacturer websites to further educate yourself what's available, a then finally (since you didn't mention how much money you plan on spending) take your budget and DOUBLE since things always end up costing more than you probably planned for.
Definetley not a "racers forum". If he's interested in electric off-road then I say the "electric off-road" section is probably a good place to start. And he is asking this forum to help further educate himself. He probably has no idea what he's looking for or at so reading webpages may not help him too much.

Like everyone has already said, figure out what you want to do with it. If you want more of a basher/rock crawler check out Axial. If you want to do high speed parking lot runs, look for somehting brushless rtr (they all are more for speed then actual handling). If your thinking of racing but still want to bash the backyard then a 4x4 shortcourse may be the way to go. I personally think my Tekno SCT410 would make a perfect basher except for the fact that parts are hard to find, although it really doesnt break. The Losi SCTE would be another good one for racing and bashiing as it's also very strong and parts are more readily available at locol hobby stores. I say to figue out your budget first, then we can help find things that hit the price point.
rjohn929 is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
mydudrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,518
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The traxxas slash I think is the best first car for anybody it's very versatile it's a short course truck but can be turned into whatever you want ex. Monster truck, mini truggy, buggy, I mean the options on that truck are limitless and you can get one used here or elsewhere for pretty cheap I'm about to sell my platinum set-up for racing on here because I'm ready to move up to a better truck now

If your interested pm me
I also have a e- Revo brushless for sale
mydudrevo is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM
  #13  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 138
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rjohn929 View Post
The Losi SCTE would be another good one for racing and bashiing as it's also very strong and parts are more readily available at locol hobby stores.
I discovered this the hard way on my local track! I swear I was bashing on my track with all the wrecks I had! Definitely built tough!
JetBlast is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM
  #14  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
RacerX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Best thing to do is to go to your local hobby shop and see what cars and parts they carry. A Traxxas Slash is a good basher truck to start at and I don't know of any hobby shops that dont carry Traxxas parts, at least around here.
RacerX11 is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM
  #15  
Suspended
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cali
Posts: 4,003
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RacerX11 View Post
Best thing to do is to go to your local hobby shop and see what cars and parts they carry. A Traxxas Slash is a good basher truck to start at and I don't know of any hobby shops that dont carry Traxxas parts, at least around here.
Traxxas is ok, and parts are relatively cheap on eBay!!
theblitzkidd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.