R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   New to RC Cars (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/733472-new-rc-cars.html)

Runtskies 05-28-2013 07:02 AM

New to RC Cars

Hey everyone!
I've just started getting into this hobby and I would like to know what is a good Electric Off-Road car to buy and what things to buy with it? If anyone could help me it would be nice :) By the way I don't know anything at the moment so bare with me :) Thank you!

rcgod 05-28-2013 07:07 AM

Are you looking to race or bash with it?

Runtskies 05-28-2013 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by rcgod (Post 12198113)
Are you looking to race or bash with it?

Not knowing the term bash, but not racing that's for sure.

jonzee 05-28-2013 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Runtskies (Post 12198095)
Hey everyone!
I've just started getting into this hobby and I would like to know what is a good Electric Off-Road car to buy and what things to buy with it? If anyone could help me it would be nice :) By the way I don't know anything at the moment so bare with me :) Thank you!

Originally Posted by Runtskies (Post 12198117)
Not knowing the term bash, but not racing that's for sure.

This is more of a racers forum, so I'm not sure this is the best place to ask and there's really no good answer to your question. It's like asking, "what's best, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Honda?"

But my advice would be to spend a lot of time reading around the different topics and educating yourself what's out there, and then searching for and going to the manufacturer websites to further educate yourself what's available, a then finally (since you didn't mention how much money you plan on spending) take your budget and DOUBLE since things always end up costing more than you probably planned for.

symmetricon 05-28-2013 07:29 AM

Find out what you want to do with you rc car, and what to expect from it. Then you should find which scale/type/platform of rc best suits what you want to do. Take your time and read alot or you will end up having buyers remorse.

CTRJ 05-28-2013 07:47 AM

What kind of terrain do you plan to run it in? I highly recommend building a kit. You'll learn so much about your car and know how to fix it.

mkiiina 05-28-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jonzee (Post 12198169)
This is more of a racers forum, so I'm not sure this is the best place to ask and there's really no good answer to your question. It's like asking, "what's best, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Honda?"

But my advice would be to spend a lot of time reading around the different topics and educating yourself what's out there, and then searching for and going to the manufacturer websites to further educate yourself what's available, a then finally (since you didn't mention how much money you plan on spending) take your budget and DOUBLE since things always end up costing more than you probably planned for.

I don't think this is any more a racer forum or a basher forum. The header says "rctech" not "rc-racers only".

If you want something durable, reasonably quick, with easily available parts, buy a Traxxas 4x4 Slash. Will have everything in the box you need to get rolling.

theblitzkidd 05-28-2013 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mkiiina (Post 12198332)
I don't think this is any more a racer forum or a basher forum. The header says "rctech" not "rc-racers only".

If you want something durable, reasonably quick, with easily available parts, buy a Traxxas 4x4 Slash. Will have everything in the box you need to get rolling.

I agree, very basher and newb popular place :nod: and as far as the question, I can assure ya there are vehicles for every style of driving, so u just decide what style it is and then go from there;)

rcgod 05-28-2013 09:01 AM

That's what I was thinking. Slash 4x4.

Some good info also on WWW.beatyourtruck.com or WWW.rcshortcourse.com

JetBlast 05-28-2013 09:05 AM

Sounds like you aren't interested in racing. Traxxas makes a lot of RC's for different types of driving you might want to do. Just make sure you pick up the right batteries and charger with whatever you purchase! A couple of new Traxxas RC's do come with a charger and a battery combo if I am not mistaken.

rjohn929 05-28-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by jonzee (Post 12198169)

Definetley not a "racers forum". If he's interested in electric off-road then I say the "electric off-road" section is probably a good place to start. And he is asking this forum to help further educate himself. He probably has no idea what he's looking for or at so reading webpages may not help him too much.

Like everyone has already said, figure out what you want to do with it. If you want more of a basher/rock crawler check out Axial. If you want to do high speed parking lot runs, look for somehting brushless rtr (they all are more for speed then actual handling). If your thinking of racing but still want to bash the backyard then a 4x4 shortcourse may be the way to go. I personally think my Tekno SCT410 would make a perfect basher except for the fact that parts are hard to find, although it really doesnt break. The Losi SCTE would be another good one for racing and bashiing as it's also very strong and parts are more readily available at locol hobby stores. I say to figue out your budget first, then we can help find things that hit the price point.

mydudrevo 05-28-2013 12:44 PM

The traxxas slash I think is the best first car for anybody it's very versatile it's a short course truck but can be turned into whatever you want ex. Monster truck, mini truggy, buggy, I mean the options on that truck are limitless and you can get one used here or elsewhere for pretty cheap I'm about to sell my platinum set-up for racing on here because I'm ready to move up to a better truck now

If your interested pm me
I also have a e- Revo brushless for sale

JetBlast 05-28-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by rjohn929 (Post 12198665)
The Losi SCTE would be another good one for racing and bashiing as it's also very strong and parts are more readily available at locol hobby stores.

I discovered this the hard way on my local track! I swear I was bashing on my track with all the wrecks I had! Definitely built tough!

RacerX11 05-28-2013 02:07 PM

Best thing to do is to go to your local hobby shop and see what cars and parts they carry. A Traxxas Slash is a good basher truck to start at and I don't know of any hobby shops that dont carry Traxxas parts, at least around here.

theblitzkidd 05-28-2013 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX11 (Post 12199496)
Best thing to do is to go to your local hobby shop and see what cars and parts they carry. A Traxxas Slash is a good basher truck to start at and I don't know of any hobby shops that dont carry Traxxas parts, at least around here.

Traxxas is ok, and parts are relatively cheap on eBay!!