Wiki Posts
Search

Kind of sick of DEANS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Kind of sick of DEANS

What are you guys using? I'm sick of using Deans, it just seams like there has to be a better choice here. I'm getting ready to dump some more $$ into some batteries for racing and was just curious what you guys are using and why you like what your using over the other types of connectors..
Old 05-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

What deans are you using?the real ones or the cheap ones?i have never had issues with soldering or using deans. the good ones.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Prophet

I Never had a issue with Dean plugs the real ones just some dont connect fully and can come apart during a race but most of them are not like that. I use them on all my trucks 1/10 and 1/8 scales on all lipos.

Yea if your using the knockoff ones they suck i would know ! Are you using the Real Dean plugs or the knockoff (Hobbyking) ones ?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ultra Deans is what the package says.. I have them on all my batts but they just kind of suck to fiddle with. I might try and MacGyver something to make it easier to connect and disconnect..
Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yup, same here, it seems you have to work at getting them
together at times.
Like they must line up exactly.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
Ultra Deans is what the package says.. I have them on all my batts but they just kind of suck to fiddle with. I might try and MacGyver something to make it easier to connect and disconnect..

Yea some of them are hard to pull apart for sure i seen somewhere where somebody put a big piece of shink wrap. Around the connecter to make it easier to pull part but il tell you what i rather have a plug that is tight not to tight than loose !
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

take a look at xt60's and xt90's.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I didn't like my deans either so I decided to try the hobbyking ones to see if they were easier. That was okay until they began to unplug mid run. I might go try those new castle connectors...
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

the only reason why they might be hard to put together could be to much heat when soldering them and causing the tabs to be crooked which makes them hard to align.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Prophet

I was thinking about changing over to diffrent connecters before but than i looked at the cost of buying them for all my lipos and ESC. In the fact that if i needed to borrow somebodys lipo or something like that its a pain.

And than a butch of soldering i changed my mind.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bullet connectors
Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Icero
I didn't like my deans either so I decided to try the hobbyking ones to see if they were easier. That was okay until they began to unplug mid run. I might go try those new castle connectors...
I was just looking at those but i think im going to try some EC5's on a couple and see how i like them, im running 1/8 truggy and the deans look funny with my big @ss wires thats on some of my batts. I was actually thinking about bullets but decided against those for now. Coming unplugged mid run is the real reason im thinking about switching, i had it happen a couple of times already. At first i thought i didn't have enough slack in my wires and was getting flex and they was pulling apart, that wasn't the case though. Plus they are just fiddly to connect and disconnect..

Originally Posted by kman16jr
the only reason why they might be hard to put together could be to much heat when soldering them and causing the tabs to be crooked which makes them hard to align.
Mine go together pretty smooth and also come apart pretty smooth other than the pressure created from the small arced metal tabs, it's pretty easy but fiddly, sometimes i wind up pulling on the wires, not trying to but i find myself doing it sometimes.. I am pretty good at soldering so i haven't pulled the wire off but i can see it happening..

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I was thinking about changing over to different connecters before but than i looked at the cost of buying them for all my lipos and ESC. In the fact that if i needed to borrow somebodys lipo or something like that its a pain.

And than a butch of soldering i changed my mind.
LOL!! That is one of the reasons i don't want to change, all that soldering lol..

I think for my everyday runners im going to just leave the deans but for racing i am going to give the EC5's a go..
Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EricW
Bullet connectors
Dammit! Thats what i was really wanting to try.. Im getting ready to dump some more $$ in batts and the ones im looking at take bullets..
Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I love soldering and using deans, but the Traxxas connectors have always been easy to solder and reliable. Also, Castle just came out with their own.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Suspended

Not sure what to tell you, but if you were having trouble with Deans connectors you're going to have the same kind of problem with whatever you choose to use.

I never had any problem with Deans, but I could always solder.

Originally Posted by jmackani
I disagree. I do not use deans either simply because they have nothing to grip a hold of when connecting and disconnecting. Most other connectors have a raised area or textured surface.
What-ever YOU'RE WRONG!

Last edited by jonzee; 05-26-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.