Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest 13.5 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
McKinley, are you coming out for the Dirt Invert next weekend?
Not sure yet got to see if work allows
Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any 13.5 can be fast and if you are running the Hacker it's just like the Orion which isn't slow at all. Also if you are running Hacker you should be talking to Kyle he can get you going fast as he works there and definitely knows his way around them.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I also think 13.5'S are a little funny, reminds me of brushed motors
.... regardless of brand sometimes you just get a good one that's bad fasy and sometimes you get a dog
Old 05-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Why even ask? Almost everyone is going to say the motor they run is the fastest. Really it doesn't matter. Of all the people that have posted here, how many of you can run a battery from full to lvc, at race pace, without a single crash? How many of you turn laps within .5 seconds of one another for an entire race? If you can't drive that consistently, the slight edge the most powerful motor creates means nothing. Seems like kind of an odd thread for a sponsored racer to start.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Why even ask? Almost everyone is going to say the motor they run is the fastest. Really it doesn't matter. Of all the people that have posted here, how many of you can run a battery from full to lvc, at race pace, without a single crash? How many of you turn laps within .5 seconds of one another for an entire race? If you can't drive that consistently, the slight edge the most powerful motor creates means nothing. Seems like kind of an odd thread for a sponsored racer to start.

I am sorry you find it "odd" didn't know I had to have permission to post a thread for a curiosity question I had. I will make sure to ask next time.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

3 Cactus Classic A-main drivers and 2 Cactus Classic B-main drivers.
Your name is ironic.

Last edited by nismomike; 05-18-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nismomike
2 Cactus Classic A-main drivers and 2 Cactus Classic B-main drivers.
Your name is ironic.
Don't forget AZ States Race winner and Hot Rod Hobbies Shootout a-Main driver
Old 05-19-2013, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can thank you for playing come again!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

I never run my batteries to LVC, even when I'm drinking. Batteries will survive that but they don't like it. Should I start doing this to get faster?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by longlivethe3
I never run my batteries to LVC, even when I'm drinking. Batteries will survive that but they don't like it. Should I start doing this to get faster?
Actually LT, when you and I are in a race together, you should start the race at lvc. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well it depends. The reason running to lvc can be bad for a pack is because when the voltage gets that low, the voltage can sag under load enough to damage whichever cell is at a lower voltage. I set my lvc to 6.6 volts. It protects whichever cell ends up with the slightly lower voltage from getting over discharged. I have been doing this ever since I switched to Tekin speed controls and could set a custom lvc via the computer. I always run my pack down to lvc in practice before the races start. That way they have a fresh full charge for racing. My current pack in my 2wd is 2 years old. I guess running mod I can't really tell if the pack is sagging a bit. I run a 7.5, and can hit tripples even on the lap when the car hits lvc. If I was going to run spec, a newer pack would be a bit better, but that's just because of the age of my pack, not because I run it to lvc. If they were to come out with an esc that read the voltage of each cell then we wouldn't have to worry. The slightly higher lvc is just the best way to protect your packs if you choose to run them down. If you ask me it is actually better to run them down. My last set of packs lost a lot of capacity towards the end of their life. I never really ran them down to lvc, and eventually they get use to that and lost capacity. Remember NiMH and NiCad? They had a really bad memory problem, and needed to be discharged. All batteries are just chemical devices for storing energy. Lipos are just much more efficient, so their characteristics are not as dramatic, but they do still form a memory.

Even still, the point I was trying to make is that most people spend just as much time during practice walking over to marshal their car as they do driving. If that is the case, the most powerful spec motor is not going to do anything but make their car just a little faster when they crash. These are the same guys that are going to post that the motor they run is the fastest.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Isn't the traxxas velineon a 13.5?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
Isn't the traxxas velineon a 13.5?
Yes it is.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Advantage R/C
Yes it is.
If you're talking about this motor scroll down to where it says 'features'. If a Velineon is a 13.5 there are some people missing out in Super Stock and we've solved the 'what is the fastest 13.5?' question.

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/mo...ineon3500motor
Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Suspended

If you're talking about this motor scroll down to where it says 'features'. If a Velineon is a 13.5 there are some people missing out in Super Stock and we've solved the 'what is the fastest 13.5?' question.

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/mo...ineon3500motor
lol I saw somewhere on this thread it was a 13.5 so I went off what they said