Wiki Posts
Search

2wd buggy racing help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 2wd buggy racing help.

Yesterday, I went to a track for the first time with my DEX210 RTR.. It was really hard to control, took corners to wide (that was my fault as a little kid I let try it had no problems. I know it was only my first time on a track. Another big problem is on the track there is a big blind spot for me for like 10 feet so I feel like that hurts me a lot as I am going into that turn blind but is there anything you guys could tell me that would help the learning curve? I would be extremely grateful.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cripplethreat
but is there anything you guys could tell me that would help the learning curve? I would be extremely grateful.
Spend time driving your car, spend at least as much time working on your car and reading about all aspects of racing that you enjoy.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Slow down to go faster, good rule to live by when learning the ropes.

Entering the turn you are easing the car into the turn with your wheel. Once in the center of the turn you will have your wheel at full lock (unless its a really open turn or a kink) and by that time you are controlling how tight your turning radius is with the throttle. More throttle, wider turn. Less throttle, tighter turn.
Then exiting the turn you are releasing the wheel to straighten out and feeding in more throttle.

In the middle of the turn you are controling the radius of your line with your throttle, not the wheel.

And like asc said... there's nothing better for driving faster than track time. Spend your money on track fees, not hop ups

Nothing you can do about the blind spot. Just slow down when your getting into it so you can be inline and straight for the section that you can't see. Once again, slow down to go faster. If you come into it fast and squirrly you will lose time compared to easing up preparing for it.

Give them some time and they will change the track design and the blind spot will probably be gone.

Last edited by fq06; 05-18-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Agree with everything above, drive as much as you can. For the blind spot maybe you can minimize it by moving around on the drivers stand-try a different spot. Don't start moving around when you're driving
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by longlivethe3
Agree with everything above, drive as much as you can. For the blind spot maybe you can minimize it by moving around on the drivers stand-try a different spot. Don't start moving around when you're driving

Thank you all for the input.. As far as moving around the stand that's not possible. the stand is up stairs and I'm in a wheelchair.. However the owner has made a spot in the middle of the track I just get lose in the one turn as it's drops into a ditch a little for about 10 feet. The rest of the track is perfectly fine.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Practice...Practice...Practice! I would recommend checking out what tires the others are using. Ease into the throttle.. If the thing is really squirrely try loosening the slipper a 1/4 turn and see if it helps. You may be able to help the turning by laying the front shocks in one hole on the tower. You can also move the rear shocks to the inside hole on the arm.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Driving from the middle of the track? Too bad the track owner is not able to change up the stairs to a ramp. It would have to extend from the stand more and maybe that's the problem, not enough room to extend it out?
Every track I've been to has been wheel chair accessible, this hobby is a obvious choice for a moto head that jacked up his spine on a dirt bike or some other wheeled machine.
Like my brother in-law that I rode dirt bikes with for over a decade, he loves the dirt and this is something he can do from his chair. The outdoor track that he lives by that I turned him on to is a recently (re)opened track and they built the stand with a ramp so he can just wheel up there and he has the same view and advantage that the rest of us do.

But easy rule to keep in your mind as your driving, if your going wide in a turn that the kid was able to keep a tight line in with your buggy... use less throttle.
Once you get that down and can control the throttle to hold the line you want to drive, work on your next weakness... pick them off one at a time. Otherwise there's just way too much going on in your head trying to work on multiple skills at once.

Last edited by fq06; 05-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You will be very challenged to hit lines from your vantage point on the track. The very steep sight-lines make it extremely difficult to judge distances (a 12ft wide lane will look like a sidewalk).

Best advice I know for new drivers: drive the car as slowly as you need to in order to place it where you want it on the track. Practice that and don't worry about overall speed. The idea is to make line and placement a habit. Speed will follow with time but having the right habits in place will make learning a new layout easier/faster.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
Driving from the middle of the track? Too bad the track owner is not able to change up the stairs to a ramp. It would have to extend from the stand more and maybe that's the problem, not enough room to extend it out?
Every track I've been to has been wheel chair accessible, this hobby is a obvious choice for a moto head that jacked up his spine on a dirt bike or some other wheeled machine.
Like my brother in-law that I rode dirt bikes with for over a decade, he loves the dirt and this is something he can do from his chair. The outdoor track that he lives by that I turned him on to is a recently (re)opened track and they built the stand with a ramp so he can just wheel up there and he has the same view and advantage that the rest of us do.

But easy rule to keep in your mind as your driving, if your going wide in a turn that the kid was able to keep a tight line in with your buggy... use less throttle.
Once you get that down and can control the throttle to hold the line you want to drive, work on your next weakness... pick them off one at a time. Otherwise there's just way too much going on in your head trying to work on multiple skills at once.
I would doubt he means the actual middle of the track. I'm guessing he, and maybe you, mean he's at track level centered, under/below maybe, the drivers stand?
Old 05-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by racer1812
I would doubt he means the actual middle of the track. I'm guessing he, and maybe you, mean he's at track level centered, under/below maybe, the drivers stand?
Pretty much level. It may be 6 inches to a foot about the track.. and the part that is blind is probably a foot below the railing
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know it is really expensive to get a wheelchair ramp made because of all of the material needed to make a ramp that high that is up to code. Maybe you can see if they could do a fund raiser race to get a ramp built. It probably wouldn't be up to code, but with the help of another racer, you can get up the ramp. I know that one of the guys over at liverc.com is in a wheelchair, and he races all over the country. He has a weekly column called "Moment with Mike". Maybe try to talk with him and see what he has to say. As for the controlling the car on track, welcome to the rewarding side of the hobby. Driving a car on a track is not easy. When you get good, put in work on your equipment, and do well on track, you actually get a sense of accomplishment. Bashing only takes a big bank account. Racing takes skill (and a big bank account).
Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
I know it is really expensive to get a wheelchair ramp made because of all of the material needed to make a ramp that high that is up to code. Maybe you can see if they could do a fund raiser race to get a ramp built. It probably wouldn't be up to code, but with the help of another racer, you can get up the ramp. I know that one of the guys over at liverc.com is in a wheelchair, and he races all over the country. He has a weekly column called "Moment with Mike". Maybe try to talk with him and see what he has to say. As for the controlling the car on track, welcome to the rewarding side of the hobby. Driving a car on a track is not easy. When you get good, put in work on your equipment, and do well on track, you actually get a sense of accomplishment. Bashing only takes a big bank account. Racing takes skill (and a big bank account).
I knew nothing about this guy.. I will definitely look into contacting him. I just would feel weird approaching the owner about that when I've only been there a few times. It's not even so much the money.. I just want to bring it up in a nice manner. As his staff and shop are rad.. I just can't see in some important area's