Favorites?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Favorites?

I am somewhat new to the RC mania and I am wondering how do many of you guys choose which RC vehicle you want to buy? When I walk into my local RC shop, I see nothing but Losi and Team Associated all over the shelves and walls. It seems to be a common thing because I see the same stuff on other shelves and walls in my area. When i read up on race reports from my area, I see a lot of Team Associated and Losi running 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the races.

I have a Losi XXX-SCB because I took an interest in a buggy and my shop sold me this one for $169 because they were due to be discontinued. After having fun with my SCB, I realized how much I wanted to buy an SCT and look into racing. I like how parts are easily obtained for Team Associated and I am leaning towards their SCT's for my 2nd RC.

Are there any factors you guys consider when you choose which brand you want to go with? Like customer service, parts availability, RC pro's driving them, etc. Are there any factors for considering HPI or any other brand out there? This is open to buggies and SCT's seeing all brands sell some type of buggy, SCT, or SCB.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Mostly parts availability
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Parts support is #1. Not necessarily local.
User community is #2, again not necessarily local.

Traxxas is headquartered nearby. Xray's USA distributor is in Dallas also. Both brands have a strong local following with local parts availabilty being very good. But I didn't seriously consider either brand and not because I think their products are not good.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

* Parts Support (not just local)
* Durability
* Customer Service (not so much for vehicles)
* Aftermarket Support (depending on if you want something different)
* Popularity/Cummunity (compare and discuss tips with other owners)
* Cost of spare parts (a-arms etc.)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. nostalgia
2. quality
3. parts support
4. price
5. parking space
Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

1) Parts Support (Both O/S and Local)
2) Local Racers (Always good to be able to borrow a part from a fellow racer)
3) Price - Saving for a Wedding I need to scrounge ever Benjamin I can.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 AM
fmo
Tech Rookie

1. quality
2. quality
3. quality

seriously
Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 AM
Suspended

For purchasing any rc any one should considerate on the type of rc which he or she wants.Nitro, Racing, off road etc.After realising this then the quality of that rc first of all matters that quality should be fine and then after this the availability of its parts.

Regards.
Andy.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

One thing about collecting a fleet of rc cars is having some parts compatibility between cars. Especially TIRES, being able to use a set of tires on 2-3 vehicles saves you a TON of money.
With that said, get a Losi SCT, it is 90% plus the same as an SCB so tools, parts etc can be used on either one. If you are tired of the SCB then a few parts will convert it to an SCT.
If you had an Associated scb I would have told you to get a Asc SCT.
Brandwise they are pretty much equal.
Both are safe bets as you learn your way in the hobby.
If you think you are going to stay in the hobby spend your money wisely. Electronics are an investment. Get the good stuff.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
Are there any factors you guys consider when you choose which brand you want to go with? Like customer service, parts availability, RC pro's driving them, etc. Are there any factors for considering HPI or any other brand out there? This is open to buggies and SCT's seeing all brands sell some type of buggy, SCT, or SCB.

These are good questions. Parts support, quality, performance, cost and durability are what I look for. Word of mouth is invaluable to get the low down on these cars. I look at what the locals are running and how well their cars look on the track. If a I see a bunch of guys running Mugen and the LHS stocks tons of Mugen, I'm going to look at that brand. If I see a car breaking over and over again at the track, I take note. Cruising these boards is also good for investigating brands.

Parts support is major. If you can't get parts locally, you have buy off the internet. That means stocking up ahead of time, which can be a pain and expensive. Nothing sucks worse that breaking down at the track and having no way to fix it. I've seen guys buy a second car just to use as a parts repository. I don't have deep pockets, so that is not my preferred strategy.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

In my local area, Team Associated is very strong in the shops followed by Losi. I am considering the 22 SCT because there are so many parts available in my shops (along with Team Associated). A couple of guys said the same thing: stick with Losi for parts compatibility. I am considering this route along with looking at Team Associated. I will give it more time before i decide which SCT i want to accompany my SCB. I already bought a Castle Sidewinder 3 kit and I have a DX3C radio as well as new shock oils, pink spring and green spring kits to try out. I plan on going for wheels/tires next.

My local track is clay. The owner told me what the clay was but I forgot so I will ask him again. He stocks numerous tires for different tracks but my local shop does weekly race events and I want to get in on that one day.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

In my local area, Team Associated is very strong in the shops followed by Losi. I am considering the 22 SCT because there are so many parts available in my shops (along with Team Associated). A couple of guys said the same thing: stick with Losi for parts compatibility. I am considering this route along with looking at Team Associated. I will give it more time before i decide which SCT i want to accompany my SCB. I already bought a Castle Sidewinder 3 kit and I have a DX3C radio as well as new shock oils, pink spring and green spring kits to try out. I plan on going for wheels/tires next.

My local track is clay. The owner told me what the clay was but I forgot so I will ask him again. He stocks numerous tires for different tracks but my local shop does weekly race events and I want to get in on that one day.
Well when heating your tires just ask what everyone else is using and get those, that way u don't have to get a whole bunch of dif tires and try tonsee what grips
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am somewhat new to the RC mania and I am wondering how do many of you guys choose which RC vehicle you want to buy? When I walk into my local RC shop, I see nothing but Losi and Team Associated all over the shelves and walls. It seems to be a common thing because I see the same stuff on other shelves and walls in my area. When i read up on race reports from my area, I see a lot of Team Associated and Losi running 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the races.

I have a Losi XXX-SCB because I took an interest in a buggy and my shop sold me this one for $169 because they were due to be discontinued. After having fun with my SCB, I realized how much I wanted to buy an SCT and look into racing. I like how parts are easily obtained for Team Associated and I am leaning towards their SCT's for my 2nd RC.

Honestly you should go try a couple of races with your SCB Even if they don't have a class they will probably run you with the normal SCT.

This will give you the opportunity to get your feet wet and see what you like before you purchase anything specific. I HIGHLY recommend that.

Never know, you might find a great deal on a nice used setup while you are there!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone! I plan on doing a lot of practice with my SCB. Some of the local drivers told me they would probably group me with the SCT's. I have a couple of outdoor tracks and I want to get some dirt tires for them in the future but I dont want to rush myself just yet. For now, I will just have fun on the clay track.

I looked kind of silly running my stock tires on the clay. I had zero traction and I could not clear the jumps due to traction issues. I spent more time flipping my own car over than I did racing it around! I just happen to be there when no one else was there so I had to constantly flip myself over.

I am thinking this upcoming weekend, I will go there and pick up some tires that are recommended and give them a whirl. My hobby shop only charges $50 a year for unlimited use, $4 an hour, or $10 a day. The yearly price is worth it's weight in gold seeing it rains all the time here in WA state.

I also need new batteries. Before I toasted my brushed Losi motor (literally!), I am running 2S Racers Edge 2800's 25c. I would like to get a couple 5000's just to last longer. Im running 16/90 with the pinion/spur on my Castle Sidewinder 3 kit. Would it be smart to stick with 25c batteries or should I bump that up on the next battery purchase? I have done a TON of reading and research on all aspects of electronics.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

25C might be light for 2800 cells. 25C 5000's are more than enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service