Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Duratrax 835E 1/8th RTR Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Gnarlly
Yeah, that loctite they use is strong stuff. Stronger than blue loctite. I was using a wrench on the shock mount and a hex wrench on the screw, turning both. Screw head came off when trying to break the loctite, but oh well, I rigged a MacGyver fix to be able to race today that worked and I have new screws on the way. Despite the soft screws and too strong loctite, the buggy ran great today and had no issues.
So gnarlly,,when you made your shock changes,,did you go 40wt oil in all 4,,im kinda leaning that way as i kinda think the oil in it now is like 30wt,,,feels a little soft for bashing.

oh yea,,i will use the servo till it dies,,,but if i had to get a new one,,{on a buget!!,,my lady likes it that way!!lolha,,, for like 30 or 40 bucks,,what would you guys recomend for a decent servo,,like some diffrent choices ect. thx,,
Old 07-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Regarding budjet servos I recommend the A-main Protec 100T servo. It is a $50 servo, but it has great torque and speed numbers for the price.

Regarding diff weights, I can't help you much. I don't bash much and when I do I just bash with my race setups. I don't even own any oil over 7K weight. I'ld try your 10-30-7 guess, but it's just a guess for me too. I think there's a forum devoted to bashing on rctech. Ask your diff question there, you'll get better answers. Have fun

Edit: I checked the forums. I didn't see a bashing forum. There is a "Rookie Zone" and "Monster Truck" forum though, or start a new thread on Electric Offroad asking about diff weights for bashing.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rufus,

Thanks for the info on the servo. Truth be told, I need to learn more about Servos. In the past, I'd just upgrade to the servo everyone suggested on a particular RC. Sure, I'd notice maybe a slight increase in steering response, and maybe that's "enough" when it comes to competition racing. But for me, someone who mainly bashes around in his back yard or occasionally at a dirt track, is it a necessary upgrade? It seems like every RTR has the same common request, regardless of company or RC, everyone says "upgrade the servo". I truly wonder if its become a habit in people's reviews? I drove the buggy in my yard and it seemed to do great... Turned on a dime... In fact, flipped over a couple times.

So I guess my question is: how bad is the servo? In terms of torque and speed, what should I look for in a 1/8 scale buggy? And lastly, is their an equivalent tote Protec T100 servo that maybe Tower Hobbies carries? I certainly don't want you to google Tower Hobbies looking, but maybe you know of another brand that has the same servo. In sure there has to be one out there. They are all made in Taiwan or China, so someone else that does budget parts has to have the same one with a different label.

Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RALLY JIM
So gnarlly,,when you made your shock changes,,did you go 40wt oil in all 4,,im kinda leaning that way as i kinda think the oil in it now is like 30wt,,,feels a little soft for bashing.

oh yea,,i will use the servo till it dies,,,but if i had to get a new one,,{on a buget!!,,my lady likes it that way!!lolha,,, for like 30 or 40 bucks,,what would you guys recomend for a decent servo,,like some diffrent choices ect. thx,,
Right now I'm using the stock shock oil. Once it gets too dirty and the shocks are not as smooth I plan on trying 40 weight up front and 30 weight in the rear (or maybe 50/40 if that feels too light).

I'm also using the stock servo and plan to keep it until it dies (RTR servos don't always live too long I've found). I did order a Solar D772 high torque servo from hobbypartz as a backup for $17; kind of slow, but plenty of torque.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok guys,,thanks for the info on the oils and servos,,, im gona check around a bit before i make any changes. And no Joe,, you dont have to change the servos,,just loosen your servo saver nut to soft,,{tward the top of the post,,less pressure on the spring},,and it should last quite awhile,,at the expence of a more tighter precision steering responce like for racing,,which i dont care about right now,,,thats usualy why they change the servos out,,the stock ones are usualy very "generic" in speed and torque,,,which are usualy fine for bashing,,but if and when it goes,,you kinda want to have something ready in mind to get thats got good torque,,speed,,and a good price!!! for me at least!!lolhaha
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Some nice jumps at the end.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

i got one nice price . occasional club races couldnt see droppin a grand on an 1/8buggy for what i do
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

jump and flies well ! mostly rtr fon now . have parts on order . I removed f/r sway bars 50/45 shocks as much droop as i could get f/r shock collars almost all the way up almost got rid of that rear kickup it has and it corners better swaybars holdi back rear susp.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

havent gotten into the diffs yet thinki 10/7/2 or 3 my biggest beef with the buggy [3] the locktighted parts soft plastics and soft hdwr, i almost dont want to take anything apart for fear of snapping screws or striipng parts
Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

had to use my soldering iron on the hdwr. takes i few times but it eventually works ! BTW Integy makes a sweet turnbuckle wrench too 4/5/6 mm
Old 09-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bob.less
i got one nice price . occasional club races couldnt see droppin a grand on an 1/8buggy for what i do
congrats on the new buggy,,, yea my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Initiate

I removed f/r sway bars 50/45 shocks as much droop as i could get yea,, i was thinking that too

i was thinking 40 -40 to try,,,you think thats still to light?,,,and yea,,its true, for all the street cars iv had sway bars defiantly help,,but i really don't know how good they do in off-road,,,i mean,, i can see hard packed dirt tracks or the like,,especially sweeping corners,,,,but for all around bashing,,i don't think they really help all that much

also level it and check the droop for evenness,,,you cant count on the droop screws working it all out for you,,because,,when i change my oil,,i need to adjust the shock shaft length,,cause i found they are like 3mm difference between them,,i actually have to use a little droop screw adjustment to make them even down right now,{finally bit the bullet and got a aluminum shock body and shock shaft holder tool from amain,,so i don't tear em up}
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Tech Initiate

haven't gotten into the diffs yet thinki 10/7/2 or 3 my biggest beef with the buggy [3] the locktighted parts soft plastics and soft hdwr, i almost dont want to take anything apart for fear of snapping screws or striipng parts
yea the big bitch on the rc8.2e was no locktight,and everything coming loose,,they even have a utube vid for it,,so duratrax wanted to cover that i guess,,but,,,its like their blue locktight in china is like our red locktight over here,,lol,,i guess,,,,, anyway the only real problem was the shock mount posts,,,so just use a lighter and hold it over the flange for a Minuit,,and use a good hex and good open end wrench and it came loose pretty easy for me,,,then i redid it with our blue locktight,,,,but since i already new of the problem,,i had ordered spares just in case it busted.

as for the plastics being soft,,its actually worked out good for me,,instead of brittle and cracking,,,i found the only prob was the fine thread screws on the support posts across the wing struts,,no prob,,,i just replaced them all with the next size {in diameter} screw with a course thread and bam,,fixed,,i can even tighten them up tight now,,the plastic stretches and takes it,,instead of cracking.,, also don't forget on any other screws into the plastic for more of a hold,,just put a drop of superglue on the screw and put it back in,,,trust me,it hold better and yes ,you can still unscrew it,,that,,or switch it out for a course thread screw,,,,but really ,,theirs just not that many screws in the plastic to really worry about.

as for the hex head screws,,yea iv seen better{harder},,but just use a good set of hexes with good tips,,if you use worn ones,,they are gona strip pretty easy.,,i found that out a long time ago,,a little better tools saves a huge headache,,lol
Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

one of the parts i ordered was 2deg rear pivot/rear toe less rear traction more steering i also think shock pisyon holes too big
Old 09-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Tech Initiate

one of the parts i ordered was 2deg rear pivot/rear toe less rear traction more steering i also think shock pisyon holes too big
whats the part number?,,, i guess i got it backward,,i thought 3% was for more traction and turning,,???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.