Wiki Posts
Search

DF03RA to DF03

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default DF03RA to DF03

Hi guys

My local track doesn't so have a class for rally cars, or 4x4 buggies but they do have a "run what ya brung" class.

The track is a little bit much for my DF03RA. Some areas of the track have very loose, somewhat deep dirt/sandy areas and sedan sized wheels/tires don't seem to really cut it. I have only been there practicing once so it may just be my inexperience. Nonetheless I think the buggy will perform much better and will be less frustrating.

I'm figuring out the parts to buy and I wouldn't mind if you guys had a look to maybe just give me a hand to make sure im not missing anything?

Thanks

Suspension Uprights/Towers
Turnbuckles
Suspension Arms
Shocks
Universal Shafts

From what I can see in the manual for each vehicle the uprights/hubs/spindles (whatever you want to call them) front and rear are the same for both kits, so don't need to get those.

Then I just need Wheels and Tires.

I'm sorry but I don't have enough posts on the forum to actually post links to the products I'm talking about apparently....whenever I try to put the link in the forum gives me a Forbidden error when I try to post it. Anyway, all the stuff I put here is available on RCMART (minus the wheels/tires) for just under $100.

Is there something I am missing here? Obviously I am trying to keep the price as low as possible, otherwise I might as well just buy a 2WD buggy to race in the actual class haha. I can get a TLR 22 or a DEX210 for $279-289 though I'd rather just use the DF03 because I'm more of a basher at heart and will most likely not race too seriously/competitively.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Best bet is to spend the money on a used buggy. After shipping and tires and wheels you will be close to the cost of a used buggy. You will be much better off, as the DF03 is not much of a track vehicle. There are just a bunch of design flaws that prevent it from performing very well, or being very reliable. As a rally car the stress isn't as much, but when you put the larger tires at the end of longer suspension arms things start to go bad.

Get a used track specific vehicle and install your rally cars electronics in it. Then start saving up for good electronics for your track car, and start moving electronics back to the rally car as you upgrade the stuff in your track car. Then once you have a full set of good electronics for your track car, upgrade the car to something nice and new. Odds are though, once you see how much fun racing can be, you won't want to run the rally car much.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi,

I`ve turned a DF03 into a competitive race buggy, but it cost me more than my Durango DEX410, and the later is still better..
If you do build a DF03 you will also need a FIVE STAR input shaft, a slipper, ceramic or carbide diff balls and you must strengthen the gearbox mount for the rear tower. To make it handle you will need quality dampers and maybe a carbon chassis.
So my advice is also to buy a used race buggy.