Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I know they're toy cars...but be careful out there. >

I know they're toy cars...but be careful out there.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I know they're toy cars...but be careful out there.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default I know they're toy cars...but be careful out there.

It's kinda hard to see on my hairy leg, but that's an imprint of a 1/8 E-buggy on my shin.

I was turn-marshalling at our local track last night during the 1/8th scale e-buggy A-main. Nothing eventful there, group of pretty talented drivers put on a great show. Two drivers were dicing it up pretty early, one small slip on the rhythm section was the difference in the race.

Race was over and I turned to walk off the track and suddenly I was hit in the left leg HARD. I'm a fairly large guy (6ft 2in, 250 lbs) and it very nearly knocked me off of my feet. Why couldn't it have been a 1/10 scale buggy!? Those 1/8 scales carry a little bit of mass. Hurt like a sumbitch and is pretty sore and stiff today.

I don't know what happened to cause that particular car to fly through the marshall's zone. The driver was very apologetic afterwards and I understand things happen. I blame myself for letting my guard down when the final tone sounded.

That's the only point I have...stay alert out there. As long as cars are moving on the track, things can happen.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

+1. I hate marshaling for 1/8th scale. Love em, love watching them. Just not whale I'm at the mercy of a bad landing
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I feel ya. I went to flip one once and when I turned around all I saw was a shock tower,Bam! Hit me right square on the chin. I guess the guy came off a jump sideways and flew in to the next lane. Luckily I didnt lose any teeth.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I once took a guy to the hospital after and 8th scale flew off the track a full speed and him in the thigh. He ended up with a deep bruise that went to the bone and had issues walking for a couple weeks. The bruise was about 9 inches diameter. I have found that sportsman/novice 8th scale is the very dangerous.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I have found that sportsman/novice 8th scale is the very dangerous.
Shouldn't be a "class," IMHO. And if it is, then their dad's need to be doing the marshalling of their sons' 10lb out of control landmissiles.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040
Shouldn't be a "class," IMHO. And if it is, then their dad's need to be doing the marshalling of their sons' 10lb out of control landmissiles.
who says it's only kids on the sportsman/novice classes?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

8th scale cars are really not toys at all. They could potentially kill you. They have always scared me a bit. Not so much getting hit by one, but rather hitting someone else. If there is a human being anywhere near my car on the track, I slow down. If I see a youth on the track, I'm running at half speed if they are anywhere near me.

If I ever seriously hurt someone with my car, I would probably give up 8th scale altogether.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
who says it's only kids on the sportsman/novice classes?
Then they need to get their wife/gf/significant others/etc to do it.

Originally Posted by blade329
8th scale cars are really not toys at all. They could potentially kill you. They have always scared me a bit. Not so much getting hit by one, but rather hitting someone else. If there is a human being anywhere near my car on the track, I slow down. If I see a youth on the track, I'm running at half speed if they are anywhere near me.

If I ever seriously hurt someone with my car, I would probably give up 8th scale altogether.
I agree, and that's where I feel like "sportsman classes" need to be limited to something other than these 10lb-landmissiles.
Whether it's kids (that usually drive like they don't care), or adults (that might care, but lack experience) - new drivers lack the car control and experience that make them dangerous.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This was not sportsman or novice. These guys were pros. As a matter of fact, the guy who hit me is chassis sponsored.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Yeah I felt bad one day when I hit a friend of mine in the foot with my rc8, wasn't entirely my fault but I took full blame and didn't run my rc8 the rest of the day....... I've actually been hit dead on in my chest by a 4x4sct when the driver took the jump wrong (a triple) and it bout knocked me off my feet, I can only imagine how much worst it would of been if it were an 8th scale going full speed...........
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I race with a guy here in Atlanta that was hit in the sholder by an E-truggy and has since had surgery to fix the damage that it caused. 1/10 scale buggies can be dangerous and i have a couple scars on my shin to prove it. people need to keep their heads on a swivel and watch their corners and not the race.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

My son almost took an eTruggy to the head last summer while marshaling near a triple. He saw it and ducked just in time for it to fly right over his head. The trajectory would have pt it right in his ear.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

About 10 years ago when we still used crystals I was doing some testing. I landed a small double coming onto the straightaway. My crystal broke instantly and my engine stuck full throttle. There was one guy standing in pit lane with a fuel bottle. My car hit the wall full speed, popped straight up and hit him in the face. The fuel bottle he was holding flew at least 10 feet into the air. He was knocked out.

After hitting him my car continued running full throttle through the pits. Eventually hitting a tree and landing back on its wheels. As I was running to help him the car came back and hit him in the head once again and wrapped itself up in his hooded sweatshirt and was running full throttle still. I had to kill the engine and pull it out of his sweatshirt.

These cars are dangerous. While there was obviously nothing that anyone could have done in this case we all need to keep our eyes open and stay alert.

I got hit in the leg at Nitro Challenge this year so hard that I almost fell down. I thought for a second my leg had been broken. It was an E buggy that came up short on a jump and landed full throttle.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

There is always a risk with no matter what u are doin, so I always tell everyone when announcing at the beginning of a race " stay alert and be aware that there are vehicles everywhere yes in the air too haha
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I hate it when it happens to the younger kids. My 7 year old got hit by an 8th scale was bleeding and started crying. He was really embarrassed that he cried I felt bad for him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.