Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
losi scte steering rack stuck >

losi scte steering rack stuck

losi scte steering rack stuck

Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default losi scte steering rack stuck

So i have a ten-te that i am putting the TLR4000 flex tuned chassis so i get everything transferred i get to the steering rack and the screws are VERY TIGHT so i got the heat gun and got one out but i still have that top plate on the right post and i stripped bolth the screws and i tried the screw extractor but the screws are too tight.

I am not sure what to do.

any idea's?

thank you
-ben
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by benji molina
So i have a ten-te that i am putting the TLR4000 flex tuned chassis so i get everything transferred i get to the steering rack and the screws are VERY TIGHT so i got the heat gun and got one out but i still have that top plate on the right post and i stripped bolth the screws and i tried the screw extractor but the screws are too tight.

I am not sure what to do.

any idea's?

thank you
-ben
Heat will help if there is locktight (use the solder gun tip), using your dremel and a cut wheel make a slot in the top and use a flathead screwdriver. goodluck.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not a big fan of the dremel tool slot because it will usually damage the chassis or what ever is around the screw head. I like to take a drill bit the same size as the screw and drill just enough that the head pops off the screw. When you take the part off the chassis it will have enough left to grab it with pliers and no damage to the chassis.
Most of the time if the screw isn't thread locked in place it will unscrew by hand because there is no pressure from the head now. Hope this helps
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Suspended

I'm not a big fan of using a drill bit method because either most people don't have a drill press (so you can't drill the hole straight) or you burn up and ruin a lot of bits drilling into any screw that's not aluminum.
I've used the dremel method dozens of times over the years (noted in the first response), and at the most left very small knotches that were easily repaired/filled in with JBweld. Hope this helps[/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

they have screw removal tools tap in with a small bit into screw then use the backwards bit to pull out/unscrew.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by benji molina
i tried the screw extractor but the screws are too tight.
Originally Posted by mugenlife
they have screw removal tools tap in with a small bit into screw then use the backwards bit to pull out/unscrew.

He tried a screw extractor.
They often do not work well on the smaller screws in these cars.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If your worried about the chassis drill it out, at worst you'll have to buy new post, cheap parts, IMO, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ware-Set-Ten-T.