Buggy mod class

Old 04-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
I'll suggest using as LITTLE power as you need to get the job done. Too many people hamper themselves with too much power. My suggestion would be to use the power the track requires and NOT the power it takes to be as "fast" as the other cars. Going fast is fun but if lower lap times are the goal ..... I'll take 20 mistake free laps anyday. 10.5 is a common mod class, try that and if you need a bit more "speed" on a big straight just add some boost.
Then bolt in the 6.5 and go to the bmx track.
+100
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
That's what happens when the "fast" guys run stock, and the guys who have no business running mod, run mod. Separating the classes by motor is antiquated. Everything needs to just be done by lap times instead. Run whatever you think you can handle. If you strap in way too much power and are out of control, you will be on the track with the other guys with too much power and no skill. Plus it will eliminate the motor/esc of the month problem with the spec classes we have now.
Agreed, at most of the local tracks, a good 17.5 driver can finish well in mod. The only real disadvantage is straight line speed, and having to pick a different line over the big jumps. Stock buggy has killed mod at my local track. I don't want to run 17.5, but if myself, and the fast guy move to stock, I doubt we'd be much slower.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Suspended

I'll suggest using as LITTLE power as you need to get the job done. Too many people hamper themselves with too much power. My suggestion would be to use the power the track requires and NOT the power it takes to be as "fast" as the other cars. Going fast is fun but if lower lap times are the goal ..... I'll take 20 mistake free laps anyday. 10.5 is a common mod class, try that and if you need a bit more "speed" on a big straight just add some boost.
+1
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That just has to do with the guys you run against being slow. Swing on down to Utah this weekend for the April Fools Classic. Run stock truck, and see if you can out pace Robbie and company. He did win the Reedy race, and there are about 4-5 other guys that can run his pace down there. There are guys who can go faster with mod motors, it's just a very small number.
I raced those guys plenty in the late 80's. Rob Sr is an old foe. They have a distinct advantage of having an indoor track for 20 some years.
And it has nothing to do with guys being slow, some of the guys I outpaced that day have won at Magna.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
For those who are using EPA to tame the power ..

Its just another band aid for fixing a bad trigger finger.
same for using expo, if you soften the bottom end then the mid to top end "rush" will be more aggresive so your throttle control then will suffer.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I raced those guys plenty in the late 80's. Rob Sr is an old foe. They have a distinct advantage of having an indoor track for 20 some years.
And it has nothing to do with guys being slow, some of the guys I outpaced that day have won at Magna.
Winning at Magna, and being on pace with Robbie are two different things. I have won plenty down in Magna, I have only ever finished on the same lap as Robbie once. There are some good stock/super stock drivers at IR/CR, but they are always 1-2 laps off pace of the mod guys. I use IR/CR as an example because that is one of the only tracks I have ever been to where all the fastest guys only run mod. They all run 7.5s or 8.5s and use every bit of the power on a track where lap times are in the 15 second range. The traction is high, and the layouts are tight and technical with huge jumps right out of the corners. A 17.5 can sometime clear their triple, if you run wide in the corner before, but because you have to hit it with so much speed you will over shoot the corner that starts at the base of the landing. Meanwhile, Robbie and company can graze the inner corner marker with the tire sidewall, pull trigger, flick the steering opposite lock to set the car for the next turn, land the tripple and apex the next corner perfect. Look at any really big race (cactus, nats, hr shootout, ect...). The fast guys always rise to the top, yet the stock classes are always 1-2 laps slower than the mod class. I still stand firm with open motor sorted by the clock. Club racing just run how we have been. Big races should have a timed practice to seed everyone (fastest 3 consecutive laps or whatever). Then the fastest 1/3 are in the pro class, the middle 1/3 are in sportsman, and the bottom 1/3 in novice. It would eliminate sandbagging and the motor/esc of the month.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I still stand firm with open motor sorted by the clock. Club racing just run how we have been. Big races should have a timed practice to seed everyone (fastest 3 consecutive laps or whatever). Then the fastest 1/3 are in the pro class, the middle 1/3 are in sportsman, and the bottom 1/3 in novice. It would eliminate sandbagging and the motor/esc of the month.
I can dig it...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
I can dig it...
defiently..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Legend

Default The future class system

Open 2w bug
17.5 ST
mod ST
17.5 SC 2W
mod Sc 2w
mod 4w bug
mod Sc4x4
17.5 SCB
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Suspended

The future class system
Open 2w bug
17.5 ST
mod ST
17.5 SC 2W
mod Sc 2w
mod 4w bug
mod Sc4x4
17.5 SCB
Too many stock/17.5 classes, and "17.5 SC 2W" & "17.5 SCB" are essentially the same thing.
I agree we should get rid of all the middling (13.5) classes, but we have far too many stock classes or replicate classes too. IMHO the only stock class should be stock buggy, it being around since the beginning of offroad, and all other vehicle classes (ST, SCT, 4wd, etc) should be open mod. IMHO
EDIT = Maybe the only other stock class should be SCB, to separate it from SCT.

Last edited by pablo040; 04-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Robbie laps his dad twice as well as the rest of the field with exception to 1 or 2 drivers. I'm sure Rob Sr was every bit as fast in his prime or so I hear but he is more a casual racer now. Cool dude too. Corey Peterson is every bit as fast as Robbie and 2 other guys are in a close third. Anybody racing april fools mod buggy has their work cut out for them if they want to get on the podium.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by pablo040
Too many stock/17.5 classes, and "17.5 SC 2W" & "17.5 SCB" are essentially the same thing.
I agree we should get rid of all the middling (13.5) classes, but we have far too many stock classes or replicate classes too. IMHO the only stock class should be stock buggy, it being around since the beginning of offroad, and all other vehicle classes (ST, SCT, 4wd, etc) should be open mod. IMHO
EDIT = Maybe the only other stock class should be SCB, to separate it from SCT.
Need 17.5 class's that work for the new & just starting racer ...

We have a broken race program these days , made only for $$$ instead of promoting the sport to grow .
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Suspended

Need 17.5 class's that work for the new & just starting racer ...

We have a broken race program these days , made only for $$$ instead of promoting the sport to grow .
I agree, our "race program is broken these days."

The "new and starting racers" don't need 5 classes to choose from, they need one to get their feet we in and then move up when they learn to drive. Stock/17.5 classes don't promote or grow the hobby, as they're dominated by the experienced racers anyway. But when we have as many 17.5/stock classes as we do modified classes it just makes for a needlessly long race day.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Winning at Magna, and being on pace with Robbie are two different things. I have won plenty down in Magna, I have only ever finished on the same lap as Robbie once. There are some good stock/super stock drivers at IR/CR, but they are always 1-2 laps off pace of the mod guys. I use IR/CR as an example because that is one of the only tracks I have ever been to where all the fastest guys only run mod. They all run 7.5s or 8.5s and use every bit of the power on a track where lap times are in the 15 second range. The traction is high, and the layouts are tight and technical with huge jumps right out of the corners. A 17.5 can sometime clear their triple, if you run wide in the corner before, but because you have to hit it with so much speed you will over shoot the corner that starts at the base of the landing. Meanwhile, Robbie and company can graze the inner corner marker with the tire sidewall, pull trigger, flick the steering opposite lock to set the car for the next turn, land the tripple and apex the next corner perfect. Look at any really big race (cactus, nats, hr shootout, ect...). The fast guys always rise to the top, yet the stock classes are always 1-2 laps slower than the mod class. I still stand firm with open motor sorted by the clock. Club racing just run how we have been. Big races should have a timed practice to seed everyone (fastest 3 consecutive laps or whatever). Then the fastest 1/3 are in the pro class, the middle 1/3 are in sportsman, and the bottom 1/3 in novice. It would eliminate sandbagging and the motor/esc of the month.
I don't want to get into a Salt Lake vs Boise argument, it's pointless to attack the skill levels of a whole group of drivers without merit. Also this is not 1985 anymore. I'm using that example to lend credence to my theory of using only the power you need ( and it appears others agree ). The original poster asked which is best, 10.5 or 8.5 and my answer was to use as little power as possible and I believe that my example backs that up 100%.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

well since you guys brought the thread back up, lets talk traction. whats everyone doing to hook and go? ive seen a few little mods to the hinge brace of people sanding it down?

i know tire plays a big roll, i have found a decent tire. just wondering some tips i suppose to put the power down on the track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.