Buggy mod class

Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Some people always have sand in their vagina
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My only experience running hotter mods is using 6.5 and 7.5 in 4wd buggy, and there's a night and day (or more) difference between those two, and they are the same Novak silver cans. The 6.5 is frikkin brutal. The 7.5 is driveable. The 7.5 is driveable in a ST on a outdoor track. Indoors 9.5 is fine.

Back to 2wd buggy.....So what's everyone's opinion on using smaller rotors to soften the bottom end torque? Say putting a 12.0 or 11.5mm rotor in a 8.5 to get softer low end, and a gajillion rpm top end rush? Will it kill the short run up jump pop?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040
So you're saying that now that you got your shiney new 1,000 post badge in the mail you're now allowed to run around (see: making your own useless posts) picking on us new guys here ?
shiny* (1,000 posts gives me grammar nazi privileges as well)

That's Sheriff to you, punk.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
No need for drivers who prefer to run lower winds to diminish the skill level of drivers who don't like to run low winds. I'm with DavidK on this one. My feeling is that each driver has to determine for themselves the risk/reward ratio of running a lower wind. Count each second that is added by a mistake, compare that time lost to the time gained during the good laps.
For me I just am not good with more power, always been like that. Doesn't mean I don;t have skill and am slow... like the day with stock truck I was overall TQ among all classes inc mod 4wd and pro4sc....
I guess it is this, use as much as you need but no more.
That just has to do with the guys you run against being slow. Swing on down to Utah this weekend for the April Fools Classic. Run stock truck, and see if you can out pace Robbie and company. He did win the Reedy race, and there are about 4-5 other guys that can run his pace down there. There are guys who can go faster with mod motors, it's just a very small number.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanielC.
shiny* (1,000 posts gives me grammar nazi privileges as well)

That's Sheriff to you, punk.
Don't make me call your mom.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
That just has to do with the guys you run against being slow. Swing on down to Utah this weekend for the April Fools Classic. Run stock truck, and see if you can out pace Robbie and company. He did win the Reedy race, and there are about 4-5 other guys that can run his pace down there. There are guys who can go faster with mod motors, it's just a very small number.
+1
Has anybody bothered to explain why, if you bother checking lap times and totals from races, why the fast stock guys can run the same pace (or nearly so) as the fast mod guys?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Heck, who runs 7.5 anymore? I'm running a 4.5; RM and RC better watch out!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mel_russ615
i run a 10.5 in my 2wd buggy and a 7.5 in my 2wd st truck and i can run similar lap times with both. it all comes down to throttle control, tires, and what line you run
I always ran a hotter motor in my ST too. Gets the larger wheels moving better. I ran as low as a 6.5T but not that the batteries are so good I don't use more than an 8.5 in ST anymore.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Suspended

+1
Has anybody bothered to explain why, if you bother checking lap times and totals from races, why the fast stock guys can run the same pace (or nearly so) as the fast mod guys?
That's what happens when the "fast" guys run stock, and the guys who have no business running mod, run mod. Separating the classes by motor is antiquated. Everything needs to just be done by lap times instead. Run whatever you think you can handle. If you strap in way too much power and are out of control, you will be on the track with the other guys with too much power and no skill. Plus it will eliminate the motor/esc of the month problem with the spec classes we have now.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Budget 'racer' here. Can I limit my throttle EPA to mimic a 8.5-10.5 on my 7.5T motor? Thx,
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by gelshocker
Budget 'racer' here. Can I limit my throttle EPA to mimic a 8.5-10.5 on my 7.5T motor? Thx,
Changing the epa will slow the motor down so the top speed will be the same, but the feel will not be the same. End point adjustments are meant to set the end points on a servo, not to trick the esc into going slower. Punch settings, current limiters, throttle profiles and gearing are ways to mellow out the power.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Changing the epa will slow the motor down so the top speed will be the same, but the feel will not be the same. End point adjustments are meant to set the end points on a servo, not to trick the esc into going slower. Punch settings, current limiters, throttle profiles and gearing are ways to mellow out the power.
Thanks, that makes sense. Agree the feel will be different. Cheers,
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

”slowing” a motor down isn't the same as running a higher turn motor. Each turn is built to run in a specific peak rpm range. Use as little motor as necessary. There is a reason why often times slower motors yield similar if not the same lap times.. (the 17.5 4wd buggy that was running with 7/8.5s that was posted here in the past few days)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Tech Legend

+1
All depends on the track size and layout ...

Smaller tracks or tight layouts equalize the mod motors speed advantages.

At Trcr our last layout had the both class's posting similar lap times .
On our new layout mod is a lot faster ..
Difference is a longer straight & sweeper , a big triple no 17.5 can clear..

For those who are using EPA to tame the power ..

Its just another band aid for fixing a bad trigger finger.

When you do lower the EPa ?

It destroys the "feel" of the motor making small adjustment to power unpredictable or even impossible .

Does not really work >>> and will not help the driver learn to improve and be better with throttler control .

Go back to 100% ....

Sure it will be a bit faster ... Thats Ok , you can get use to it ..
The feel of the motor will
be way better and control easier & more predictable ....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 04-02-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
All depends on the track size and layout ...

Smaller tracks or tight layouts equalize the mod motors speed advantages.

At Trcr our last layout had the both class's posting similar lap times .
On our new layout mod is a lot faster ..
Difference is a longer straight & sweeper , a big triple no 17.5 can clear..

For those who are using EPA to tame the power ..

Its just another band aid for fixing a bad trigger finger.

When you do lower the EPa ?

It destroys the "feel" of the motor making small adjustment to power unpredictable or even impossible .

Does not really work >>> and will not help the driver learn to improve and be better with throttler control .

Go back to 100% ....

Sure it will be a bit faster ... Thats Ok , you can get use to it ..
The feel of the motor will
be way better and control easier & more predictable ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwzJDc_7hs

around 6 mins in, Jason Ruona turning max EPA down?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.