Buggy mod class

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You finger controls wheelspin, from 17.5 on down to 5.5. We have a few jumps with short run ups, and even with my 8.5 they can be tough to clear.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
You finger controls wheelspin, from 17.5 on down to 5.5. We have a few jumps with short run ups, and even with my 8.5 they can be tough to clear.
you are correct there.. also, once you change to a mod motor such as an 8.5, what are you running your gearing as?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I ran a x12 7.5 in my B4 and hated it. Went back to 13.5 for a while. Then got a 10.5 Gen2 I liked it but it was a little soft for our tripple. Went to a 8.5 Gen2 and it felt just right. I put the X12 7.5 in my B44 and it works perfect. The b44 feels much faster then my B4.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have always run 9.5s in mod... but my tracks are small/tight indoor clay tracks.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I have always run 9.5s in mod... but my tracks are small/tight indoor clay tracks.
Thats how our track is, except dirt.. small and tight. so you ended up with a 9.5? im thinking about doing that same setup.

I honestly just don't want to put a motor in that is too much or isn't enough..
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have ran on the track in question. A 10.5 is fine for the layout as it is. The track is also low to medium traction so putting a 7.5 in will not benefit you. You will spend most of your time trying to not step the rear end out when applying throttle. None of the current jumps require anymore than a 17.5 and a 10.5 is plenty fast for the back strait.

That said, I like to run more motor than I need to work on throttle control. So I am going to put an 8.5 in. Any more than that for my skill level would just cost me too much money in parts and tires.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you have to ask, you are not ready for mod. If you put a mod motor in your car you are not going to go faster. What you need is about 3 more years of track time. Question, can you go an entire battery at race pace without crashing with your 17.5? Didn't think so.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
If you have to ask, you are not ready for mod. If you put a mod motor in your car you are not going to go faster. What you need is about 3 more years of track time. Question, can you go an entire battery at race pace without crashing with your 17.5? Didn't think so.
I can run an entire 500mah battery at race pace with out crashing. So I should be good.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlantonBx8
Thats how our track is, except dirt.. small and tight. so you ended up with a 9.5? im thinking about doing that same setup.

I honestly just don't want to put a motor in that is too much or isn't enough..
Dirt usually means less traction, which might mean a harder time controlling wheel spin with a hot motor like a 7.5. But brand also needs to be considered. For example, if running Viper, you need to motor up by 1 compared to most others. (7.5 instead of 8.5 for example). In mod, you want a smooth / predictable power band motor. Which motor "feels" best to you will be a matter of test/try/trial&error.

We have a lot of Stock Short Course drivers at my track, so we can't make jumps that only mod buggies can clear... so really hot mod motors typically aren't needed. So layout trends also need to be looked at. If your track builds easier jumps, and it's small and tight, heck, even a 13.5 might be the best motor for the track.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Dirt usually means less traction, which might mean a harder time controlling wheel spin with a hot motor like a 7.5. But brand also needs to be considered. For example, if running Viper, you need to motor up by 1 compared to most others. (7.5 instead of 8.5 for example). In mod, you want a smooth / predictable power band motor. Which motor "feels" best to you will be a matter of test/try/trial&error.

We have a lot of Stock Short Course drivers at my track, so we can't make jumps that only mod buggies can clear... so really hot mod motors typically aren't needed. So layout trends also need to be looked at. If your track builds easier jumps, and it's small and tight, heck, even a 13.5 might be the best motor for the track.
Good advice. And at my home track they always build tripples with a tiny run up that only mod can clear. A 10.5 wont cut it most of the time.

I also think the LRP has more power then most and I would motor down 1 turn in comparison.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rnpnick
I have ran on the track in question. A 10.5 is fine for the layout as it is. The track is also low to medium traction so putting a 7.5 in will not benefit you. You will spend most of your time trying to not step the rear end out when applying throttle. None of the current jumps require anymore than a 17.5 and a 10.5 is plenty fast for the back strait.

That said, I like to run more motor than I need to work on throttle control. So I am going to put an 8.5 in. Any more than that for my skill level would just cost me too much money in parts and tires.
Thanks Nick, yeah my worry is all about the backstraight and the shacains after you come off the tripple, i just dont seem to have enough power. just wanted to add a little more power and be racing with the group that i go to the track with.

I know i wont go a 5000 pack without crashing lol. thats about 30 min. sorry not a professional.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

well, how much motor can you handle. Buying more than you can handles will do you no good. If you are a fast guy, then 7.5 probably. If you are new to RC and 2wd buggy, I would get a 10.5 and run an esc that can boost and set accordingly.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
well, how much motor can you handle. Buying more than you can handles will do you no good. If you are a fast guy, then 7.5 probably. If you are new to RC and 2wd buggy, I would get a 10.5 and run an esc that can boost and set accordingly.
im leaning toward the 10.5.. i feel like that is going to be what im looking for. new to 2wd buggy. i will be runnin a rs pro and i have a hotwire so i can tune it in how it needs to be for my driving.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rnpnick
I can run an entire 500mah battery at race pace with out crashing. So I should be good.
I was speaking to the guy that started the thread.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
Totally agree ..

Many use a milder motor just because they still have not learn to use the trigger finger ..

Most are used to 17.5 and with that motor the first part of the throttle is very dead , same goes for milder mod motor's like a 10.5 ..

If you try a 7.5 the first part of the throttle is all there at your command .

If you stab the gas with 7.5 ?

O-man ....

So this shows where the racer has not learned a thing with using the slower motor & has now realize he is only using a slower motor as a crutch or a band aid to help um control his bad form with the trigger.

Takes time and practice to learn how to do , when you do learn ?

You will be all the faster then the rest driving with band aids...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.