Wiki Posts
Search

most durable 1/10 4WD buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Iv only run one 4wd buggy, a dozen or so times, and that was a Durango 410, and the thing would break just looking at it wrong. Sold it as fast as I could.
They all break when you run into crap all the time, most make the mistake of too much motor too fast.

I've been running the dex410 v3 for a 3+ mos now racing 1-2x weekly. My broken parts include front drive shaft (just had a weak spot on the inside ball area), rear plastic diff retainers started to break, just swapped on the alum no issues since. I did put new ends on one of my steering turnbuckles.

Guy last wed's hit me head on while he was going down the straight the wrong way.. not sure what he was doing, but wow did it make a bad noise! I got lucky and only broke my front plastic brace $5 part. Glad the race was over or I would have been going a LOT faster down the straight too.. but wow this little bugger can take a hit.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
They all break when you run into crap all the time, most make the mistake of too much motor too fast.

I've been running the dex410 v3 for a 3+ mos now racing 1-2x weekly. My broken parts include front drive shaft (just had a weak spot on the inside ball area), rear plastic diff retainers started to break, just swapped on the alum no issues since. I did put new ends on one of my steering turnbuckles.

Guy last wed's hit me head on while he was going down the straight the wrong way.. not sure what he was doing, but wow did it make a bad noise! I got lucky and only broke my front plastic brace $5 part. Glad the race was over or I would have been going a LOT faster down the straight too.. but wow this little bugger can take a hit.
I find it hard to believe that anyone would have serious issues with a 410. I bought it specifically for durability and glad that I did. I actually thought to buy the b44.1 but chose the rango because everyone at the track said it was more durable. There are an equal amount of b44 series and rangos at the track. I've seen a couple of K cars but people seem to have problems getting them to handle as well. I find that odd too considering how good most K cars are. Anywho.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I have owned and ran Losi, Kyosho, Durango and AE now I am running the new Schumacher Cat K1. This this is very well built and very durable. I took a huge cart wheel tumble and everyone thought the car was broke for sure...I finished the race and then checked the car out and NOTHING! Only part I have had to change out is the front bumper. I am totally sold on Schumachers love their SVR 2wd buggy too
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
I find it hard to believe that anyone would have serious issues with a 410. I bought it specifically for durability and glad that I did. I actually thought to buy the b44.1 but chose the rango because everyone at the track said it was more durable. There are an equal amount of b44 series and rangos at the track. I've seen a couple of K cars but people seem to have problems getting them to handle as well. I find that odd too considering how good most K cars are. Anywho.
Issues I see regularly on v1 and v3: diff, shock shafts, inner and outer suspension shafts, front hubs, suspension towers. Also bad landings leading to the drive shafts eating the battery and motor cables
Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silvalis
Issues I see regularly on v1 and v3: diff, shock shafts, inner and outer suspension shafts, front hubs, suspension towers. Also bad landings leading to the drive shafts eating the battery and motor cables
Hmmmm, I haven't experienced any of these issues running mine, guess I'm lucky. I have only broken 2 parts on min in 3 months. The stock setup sucks though.

I can say that I had a b44.1 and broke several front shock towers and front a arms. I have also seen both the xb4s that race locally break shock towers and front bulkhead, along with toasting the plastic diff gears.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdl060374
Alot of conflicting opinion here regarding the brands durability...
Thats how all these types of threads are.

I have an XB4. It's the first 4mod I've owned. All I can tell you about it is its by far the best quality offroad kit I've ever built. People had a few issues with them when they first came out, just like every other kit thats ever been released. Xray was extremely quick in my opinion in getting the issues dealt with. I can't comment on how it drives or how durable it is yet because I haven't gotten to run it yet. None of the guys who run them local (5 people, not including myself) have broken anything yet.

That being said my suggestion to people is to get something that has good support at your track. If the Durango is the predominate car at your track that would probably be a good choice. You'd get plenty of setup help and there would be parts available.

ALL of the 4mods will break if you throw a 5.5 in them and drive like an idiot.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Initiate

I just traded up from my beloved XX4 to a Durango DEX410v3. I could not be happier. All my buddies with B44's will occasionally pop a ball cup and I have not had one pop yet. I love the gear diffs and how solid the car is. In fact, I have 8 5 minute races in a row without a failure.

The local pro at my track races an xray and when it stays together, its really fast. I actually beat him last night because his diff went out . . .
Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I find it very funny that half the posts are XRAY why would you guys suggest that buggy to somebody getting into 4wd buggy. When that buggy is flawed right outta the box..pretty bias don't you think fellas I'm not gonna suggest a 4wd buggy. but i will say this parts support is important take a look around your local track what are they running there.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 I had high hopes for that Xray buggy too! I thought finally someone will come out with a quality and durable buggy. Lucky I held out and kept my 410v3.

Originally Posted by tedstryker
I find it very funny that half the posts are XRAY why would you guys suggest that buggy to somebody getting into 4wd buggy. When that buggy is flawed right outta the box..pretty bias don't you think fellas I'm not gonna suggest a 4wd buggy. but i will say this parts support is important take a look around your local track what are they running there.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zzztech
+1 I had high hopes for that Xray buggy too! I thought finally someone will come out with a quality and durable buggy. Lucky I held out and kept my 410v3.
Give Xray a little more time to work out the kinks and it will be good. I thought of buying one as I love building and trying out kits but decided to wait and see.

If you want a more solid but similar platform, get the Yoke though it costs even more.

What's neat about the Xray though is that you can tune the chassis flex. I'd consider buying whatever updated Xray version they come out with assuming they do so.

Xray won't turn a blind eye to the issues users have encountered. They won't risk what is otherwise a pretty stellar reputation regarding quality. lI'dook at that one, but just not yet.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mat3833
so ive been running my B4 for a few weeks and am throwing down consistent laps without hitting something every lap. and ive decided i would like to pick up a 4WD buggy since its another big class at my track.

the track has a hobby shop and they carry Traxxas, Associated, and Losi spares, but thats all. i have been leaning towards the B44, but at the same time i would like to get something that runs a Stick pack if possible so i dont have to buy new batteries as well.

im not looking for the top of the line racer, more or less something i can take to the track with me on practice days and run when the other 4WD guys come out.

Matt
Get the B44 it just makes sense for you. However... The xb4 has been pretty solid, having owned S-A-Y-L-O-T and other brand 4w buggies I'd say if you want to get into 4w buggies then the XB4 is a good choice. Each brand has it's own issues so it's a matter of personal priorities. Sometimes running the same brand with local support is a wiser choice than another car even if it has some redeeming qualities.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

XB4 is most durable by far. Also, the easiest to work on as well.

The XB4 had a minor issue with the front diff case being a little weak which the promptly fixed (released a reinforced case along with some other protection for people running 3mm towers). FOR FREE. WITHIN A MONTH of release of the car after people brought it to their attention.

All one has to do is look at the arms on the XB4 and you can see how much more beefier it is than a regular 10th scale.

I came from the Durango and while it was a very solid car, it is in no way on the same level as the XB4 durability wise. Anyone that says otherwise has not owned an XB4.

The Durango arms are weak. The hinge pins bend just by thinking about it. You need the alum diff holders. The plastic strips easily (can barely use a power driver). The drive shaft rubs on batteries.

They all are capable of winning, but I can say without question the xb4 is the most durable if that is what you are seeking.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've bought 2 xb4s in past month and both already had the new parts included in the factory sealed bags .
Theirs no supliment bag of parts to confuse ...
The sponsored guys that got first dibs got the kits with issues and if they r anything like me we will run them as is till the defective parts give up then we will replace with good parts . We have 5 current xb4 s at our track and 0 have not finished a race . I think the only issue anyone has had with this buggy was 1 cracked rim but it was small crack in outer bead cause a person came off the jump and hit the xb4 on the strait ...(at full speed ) the K car broke a front arm and hinge pin...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't have a 4wd buggy but I have seen and held most of them in my own hands. The Caster buggy is by far the beefiest looking and would be my choice if I were to get one.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some love the Dex410, others do not.

if they are build correctly they are by far one of the strongest and best handeling buggys on the market in my opinion. I have taken some crazy tumbles on my Durango, Most of the time it comes out of it without a broken part. Currently Running 2-3+ months with only 2 broken parts, Main reason I broke them was because I just installed a new 5.5t into my buggy and had no idea how much power it was going to have.

I agree with 8ight-e, a lot of the time its just too much motor. 1/10th buggys are great at laying the power down. You really have to get good at controlling your throttle finger.

Last edited by 1slash; 03-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.