Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
17.5 blinky ability to run a faster motor esc >

17.5 blinky ability to run a faster motor esc

17.5 blinky ability to run a faster motor esc

Old 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default 17.5 blinky ability to run a faster motor esc

so,is there an esc out there i can run in my sc10b that will run the reedy 3300kv sensorless for jacking around at my place and a good 17.5 motor in blinky mode for the track?

i don't wanna switch esc and motors...only motors

any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sawhead View Post
so,is there an esc out there i can run in my sc10b that will run the reedy 3300kv sensorless for jacking around at my place and a good 17.5 motor in blinky mode for the track?

i don't wanna switch esc and motors...only motors

any suggestions?
hobbywing esc's have the ability to run both sensored and sensor-less motors, this one would be a good choice

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...k-esc-for-1-10

you would just have to put bullet connectors on this and the other 17.5 motor that are the same size as the reedy 3300kv motor connectors so its super easy to switch out between the two.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

mamba max pro comes to mind personally.

I run speed passion gear but I am not sure if the ESCs can do sensorless - actually looks like they do.

Though, I will say, the current price of the V3.0 competition and non-comp motors is such that you could probably replace your current reedy motor with one and probably come out with little to no out of pocket expense, motor to motor.

Last edited by Cain; 03-02-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im pretty sure the GT 2.0 will run sensored and sensorless. and i kno the GT 2.1 Pro-stock will run both. Cain, just remove the sensor wire from your motor and if it still runs you are good.

my vote goes for the Mamba system tho. always had fantastic luck with their gear(on the road, in the air, AND in the water) and their Customer Service is awesome.

Matt
Old 03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
im pretty sure the GT 2.0 will run sensored and sensorless. and i kno the GT 2.1 Pro-stock will run both. Cain, just remove the sensor wire from your motor and if it still runs you are good.

my vote goes for the Mamba system tho. always had fantastic luck with their gear(on the road, in the air, AND in the water) and their Customer Service is awesome.

Matt
yeah just saw that in the manual.

The mamba max pro is very versatile for the money, can do 1/8 electric on 4S. however, the GT2.0 Pro and similar has a more robust BEC from what I can tell. Programmer card is also a nice feature too

Have to give it up to castle though on warranty stuff, 1 year.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

plus you get the castle link! love that thing. i know some of their newer ESC's have a "sensored start" feature. they will start the motor on sensored mode and then switch to sensorless. just make sure the mamba is approved to run at your local track. im pretty sure its not roar approved yet. if its not approved, then you cant go wrong with the GT 2.0 pro or the GT 2.1 prostock.

Matt
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

ok...will the EZRUN WP-SC8 ESC run both the reedy 3300 and a 17.5 sensored in blinky also?

sorry,i don't know how to tell or what to look for in the literature...from what i can read it will not

thanks guys
Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
hobbywing esc's have the ability to run both sensored and sensor-less motors, this one would be a good choice

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...k-esc-for-1-10

you would just have to put bullet connectors on this and the other 17.5 motor that are the same size as the reedy 3300kv motor connectors so its super easy to switch out between the two.

yep...that's my plan on the bullets

so,this esc is definitely enough to not worry about heat issues or anything with the the reedy and then i could run a sensored 17.5 in blinky mode right?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

yep...that's my plan on the bullets

so,this esc is definitely enough to not worry about heat issues or anything with the the reedy and then i could run a sensored 17.5 in blinky mode right?
oh yeah easily it will run both of those, it says it can run down to 8.5 turn motor. so a 17.5 is fine and the reedy is id say around 13.5 to a 10.5 max judging by how many kv it has. as long as you know how to gear them properly it should run smooth and cool
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

ok...i got the gearing off associated website for proper gearing with the reedy 3300,but thats with the oem esc...i assume the esc doesn't change the needed gearing,only the motor (at least assuming wiring and batteries are correct right)?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

ok...i got the gearing off associated website for proper gearing with the reedy 3300,but thats with the oem esc...i assume the esc doesn't change the needed gearing,only the motor (at least assuming wiring and batteries are correct right)?
yeah the esc wont change anything gearing wise, but switching out motors will so you will have to change pinions and most likely spur gears when you swap from motor to motor. The associated gearing chart is more id say a starting point because type of track and track size is always a factor in finding the right gearing.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

yep,i follow you there...thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

yep,i follow you there...thanks
alright sweet man welll good luck!