Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Slash 4x4 upgrade help ? >

Slash 4x4 upgrade help ?

Slash 4x4 upgrade help ?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Slash 4x4 upgrade help ?

I have just inherited a Traxxas Slash 4x4 after my brother passed. I have done some reading but I don't know much about electric cars since I have always ran my Nitro Savage. I would like some suggestions on what to upgrade. I will be running at the track but just for fun. But I do like my rcs to be nicely equipped. The slash does have the brushless motor and esc and a 2.4 radio so I am good there. Have read about the proline shocks being a good upgrade also.

I am looking for suggestions on:

Shocks
Tires
Wheels
Suspensions upgrades
Axle shafts
Cooling fan for esc?

Or anything else the more well versed people know works.

Thx of the help.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It sounds like you are willing to spend some money so... The first thing I would get is a LCG chassis... Look into the Slash LCG kit or the STRC kit.. Keep in mind if you plan on spending a lot to make your Slash competitive, you might as well sell the Slash and purchase a Tekno SC410. It will be a wash, but you will have a much better vehicle....
Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Well I won't be racing it. I just like to have fun. It was my brothers so it will never be sold.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

If that's the case, and I fully understand that, I have one (4x4) and I only race around with friends in fields by our church. All I did was change tires to some Prolines, changed the motor to a Castle 4600, added a cooling fan, and stuck some Tekno axles (6mm) in it. Plenty fasssst and durable. Some RPM A arms would help to increase durability. I also got some Outerwear shock covers (which you have to cut to size for the stock shocks) and a over tray cover to keep most of the dirt out.It's powered w/ either a 2cell or 3 cell Lipo (depending on what I feel like using.) I also went with aluminum shock caps since the plastic ones have a tendency to pop off on occasion. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Tech Rookie

The LCG chassis is awesome, but if your not racing - don't worry about converting it. Sway bar kit. Gtr shocks traxxas #'s 7461X and 7462X. Springs traxxas # 7444 and 7446. Rpm A arms. Rear hub carriers. Proline caliber tires. 2s lipo. and bash the heck out of it.

Last edited by badaml; 03-03-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

The slipper bearing holder, get the aluminum one. Costs approx. $5.

Aluminum shock caps as mentioned. The new Traxxas high volume GTR shocks are supposed to be nice. The CG chassis is nice, but then you are not retaining much of the original truck.

RPM bumpers are nice. I haven't broke an arm yet, but will probably get the RPM's when I do (had them on other rc's and they were great).

Since part of this is for sentimental reasons (sorry to hear about your loss), why not add a little flash? Get some led lights If you have the TQI radio, maybe add telemetry just for the cool factor of being able to monitor temps and speed.

Stay away from Integy...
Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Slo-wrx View Post
The LCG chassis is awesome, but if your not racing - don't worry about converting it. Sway bar kit. Gtr shocks traxxas #'s 7461X and 7462X. Springs traxxas # 7444 and 7446. Rpm A arms. Rear hub carriers. Proline caliber tires. 2s lipo. and bash the heck out of it.
I took a look at the shock numbers you gave me. They are not far off from thr Proline shock prices. Which do you think is better?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have both sets of shocks on 2 different slashes, I like the GTR better, others may agree, disagree; just my opinion....
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Firefighter1406 View Post
Well I won't be racing it. I just like to have fun. It was my brothers so it will never be sold.
Don't use it.. Keep it as a shelf queen, otherwise it will inevitably break and you'll regret not keeping it as-is (or restored) for sentimental reasons.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

It sounds to me like u wanna keep the truck, so if u do all these upgrades u will mostly be replacing all of the truck...the shocks, and chassis as well as parts as far as arms and so on...then ur bros truck wont even be the same truck...js lol, but all these options r a must if u want the thing to handle right....