1/8 2wd buggy?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Wasn't this class popular in Europe at one time?
I think they race converted buggies in France. They just lock the center diff and take the front drive line out.

I don't see the need for all the weight. That just strains the electronics and hurts traction. It wouldn't translate as well as it does with 4x4.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Weight improves traction. that's why every act gets weight added. they are too light to the contact patch of the tires to hook up. it hurts acceleration and can affect weigh transfer so be museum of where its placed. but yes the more weight the harder it is on electronics, just make sure you get the right ones and don't over/under gear. but I do think a 1/8 buggy should weigh close to the same or just a little more than a 1/10 sct.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Damn auto correct. sorry about weird words in last post. phone doesn't like rc tech that much
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Weight improves traction. that's why every act gets weight added. they are too light to the contact patch of the tires to hook up.
Not true. Weight increase friction, not traction. It never happens on a beneficial scale. This is why there are no maximum weights in wheeled racing sports, only minimum. A good way to demonstrate this is to put an object on a slope (to simulate lateral secondary force) and let it slide down. Add weight and it will slide down faster. The weight overcomes the traction.

If the weight isn't enough to create the right contact patch then the tire/foam is wrong, not the vehicle weight.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

I guess every team driver for 1/10 must be wrong when they add weight well above the minimum. And always be using the wrong tire/foam when they add the weight.

But back to the topic at hand. Are there any places in th states besides back yard bashers that run 1/8 2wd.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I guess every team driver for 1/10 must be wrong when they add weight well above the minimum. And always be using the wrong tire/foam when they add the weight.
If that were what they were doing then yes, they would all be wrong but that's not what they're doing. Most are near legal weight using short packs (light weight) and up to 2oz weight in the car (AE, most losi guys use much less and up front) to control the balance of their cars.

Some time ago, when lipo became common, many racers added lots of weight to make their old setups work. That came and went as soon as everyone figured out how to set up for the new weight.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You just cant change physics no matter how hard you try.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Until there is a consistent "scale" in r/c there is no point in mentioning scale at all.
The Glamis pic I posted is listed as 1/8th scale but it's wheelbase is shorter ( see the edit ) than any of my "1/10th" scale SC's. But... longer than my Eco. ??? OH YEA My Losi SCB has a longer wheelbase than the Eco.... again my head explodes.
The Kyosho VEXXL is listed as 1/7th scale and it's wheelbase is way longer. It should be 13% bigger than the Eco but it's almost 30% longer than an Eco.
So.... what do you want ? the correct scale ? 4s ?

EDIT correction, got my chicken scratch notes mixed up
the Glamis wheelbase is 347mm
Eco 325
SCB 329
VE XXL 452

Last edited by asc6000; 02-21-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The reason a little weight is added to every 1/10 vehicle is because a balanced car works better than a lighter car.

The Scorpion XXL is selling for $534 @ Amain and it includes a 1/8 motor and ESC. This is from the same company selling RB6's for $449?

Can we really believe AE, LOSI, Durango, Schumacher and Kyosho arent making a killing in the $260+ 2wd buggy segment?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
The reason a little weight is added to every 1/10 vehicle is because a balanced car works better than a lighter car.

The Scorpion XXL is selling for $534 @ Amain and it includes a 1/8 motor and ESC. This is from the same company selling RB6's for $449?

Can we really believe AE, LOSI, Durango, Schumacher and Kyosho arent making a killing in the $260+ 2wd buggy segment?
One is made in china and one in japan. The plastics are different, the research done, pay drivers etc and everything and it adds up. One is an RTR and the other is a ferrari w.r.t. kyosho.

Durangos are new, so they are a loss leader now selling for cheap, schumacher hasnt won anything big in years except a few national races here and there, so they are cheaper than the kyosho as well. AE is making a killing because they pay the right drivers to drive for them using a proven years old platform, so they can afford to sell their cars cheaper. Losi dunno hate the 22T I got but they did innovate and get mid/rear motor cars on one platform out first so kudos to them.
And yeah I am not exactly a kyosho fanboi been wanting the mp9 for months, but just cannot justify that insane price when I can buy xray which is better quality for little more than half the price!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Man, I dig the look of that Glamis buggy. I do think it would be fun to race some 1/8 2wd, they would fit the outdoor tracks around here better than a 1/10 car. Make them durable like a reg 1/8th, keep the bodies scale looking. But you know if it caught on they would end up looking like some fugly cab forward downforce nonsense.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chevis View Post
Man, I dig the look of that Glamis buggy. I do think it would be fun to race some 1/8 2wd, they would fit the outdoor tracks around here better than a 1/10 car. Make them durable like a reg 1/8th, keep the bodies scale looking. But you know if it caught on they would end up looking like some fugly cab forward downforce nonsense.
X2 on that. Who ever thought roll cages were ugly was way off their rocker. Roll cages and a few panels here and there, and all we keep replacing on our race rides are tires and fuel/motors/batteries . Hate that part about SCTs.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I think they race converted buggies in France. They just lock the center diff and take the front drive line out.

I don't see the need for all the weight. That just strains the electronics and hurts traction. It wouldn't translate as well as it does with 4x4.
I suggested 5.5-6lb of weight because current 4x4SCT electronics can easily handle that. Also, I'd want to run outdoor on big tracks with big jumps that 4x4 1/8th buggies run on and a little more weight will help with stability and shunning the wind. Maybe a slightly wider tire than current 8th 4x4 tires will help with the traction issues.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I suggested 5.5-6lb of weight because current 4x4SCT electronics can easily handle that. Also, I'd want to run outdoor on big tracks with big jumps that 4x4 1/8th buggies run on and a little more weight will help with stability and shunning the wind. Maybe a slightly wider tire than current 8th 4x4 tires will help with the traction issues.
I think it would be hard to put enough power down to move 6lbs without 4wd, even with wider tires. I could be wrong, I've never seen a vehicle like that run.

I agree on the weight/jumps, light cars/trucks don't fly that well.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

my bad, made a correction to Glamis the wheelbase post.
They list the weight as 6.75 lbs and it comes with a 4500kv motor (it's an RTR).
The videos look good and the diff is interesting. Tire options available.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-_-VTR04000#t1
The Scorpion XXL is 4s but it's also almost 10 lbs. no tire options...
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...duct_id=109240

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service