Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novice here and NEED help with gearing/timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Novice here and NEED help with gearing/timing

I run a slash 2wd and slowly made it more race suitable. After racing sportsmen for a few months, i figured it was time to make the move to 17.5. I am running the Anza LCG chassis which is pretty heavy and I just put in a FUZE sensored 17.5 and ESC combo. I also have the pro line transimission and you can only run their spur gears on them. Right now they only come in 84 tooth or 78. So right now I am running a 78 spur and a 28t pinion and the truck still seems WAY too slow. I adjusted the esc to the max throttle setting and, I'm still crawling around the track. I can't clear ANY of the jumps, even the little sets of doubles. With the gears I"m running now, the motor gets hot after an 8 minute main, but it's not bad. The shop owner even told me to go up another tooth on my pinion. I'm wondering if it would be better to do that or try the advance timing. I feel like I"m right on the brink of the engine getting TOO hot. Like, if I do anything else, it's gonna be too much and blow the motor, and I can't afford another one. I could really use some advice. FYI, it's not a radio issue, that's all configured correctly.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

If the motor is already hot I definitely would not add any more timing. That's just going to create more heat. Before you up the pinion size I would recalibrate the esc to the radio. Then make sure the esc isn't in a low power mode like the traxxas system has. I'm not familiar with the dynamite systems so I don't know if they even have a beginner profile. Also double check your batteries. Make sure they are still taking a full charge.

Lastly I would duplicate the stock gearing by using a gearing calculator. Find out what spur and pinion sizes you need and see if that takes care of it.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

What did the motor temp at after 8 minutes?