Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why do AKA SC tyres come with foams? >

Why do AKA SC tyres come with foams?

Why do AKA SC tyres come with foams?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 AM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 262
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Why do AKA SC tyres come with foams?

Has anyone else wondered this?

They are not included for buggy tyres, so why SC. There is no need for me to re-use my SC foams so I now have about 3 dozen in a box and have to constantly keep paying to buy more. It's wasteful and unnecessarily expensive, where as I pay $7 per pair less for my buggy tyres and just recycle the foams!

Anyone know why SC is picked on? I have pro line tyres too and they're the same, albeit they provide crappy foam with their buggy tyres.

How about a petition to SC tyre manufacturers to reduce the price and not provide foams?
whittie is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 AM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
sickpuppy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gardner,KS
Posts: 1,623
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

No way! AKA makes the best foams for SC trucks and they cannot be bought separately. I would use them for any other brands of SC tires you may use. JConcept inserts are toast and crumbling b4 half the tread is gone, but they make good tires. I'd save the used AKA foams and reuse them.
sickpuppy1 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM
  #3  
Tech Master
iTrader: (73)
 
stunter38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: st.louis mo
Posts: 1,366
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
No way! AKA makes the best foams for SC trucks and they cannot be bought separately. I would use them for any other brands of SC tires you may use. JConcept inserts are toast and crumbling b4 half the tread is gone, but they make good tires. I'd save the used AKA foams and reuse them.
++1
stunter38 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM
  #4  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
sugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 791
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Although I agree with you why don't you just sell them? Or use them for your 1/8th tires which you can buy without. They are the same insert.
sugs is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM
  #5  
Suspended
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mother America
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Because if they didn't come with foam, then someone would start a thread complaining about it on rctech.
ifuonlyknew is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
  #6  
dtr
Tech Master
 
dtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: budapest, hungary
Posts: 1,662
Default

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
No way! AKA makes the best foams for SC trucks and they cannot be bought separately.
The foams are available separately, though maybe they are listed only in the 1/8 buggy foams category az those are the same.
dtr is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM
  #7  
Suspended
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mother America
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

The real reason is SC is the cash cow of the hobby right now. Most of the people that SC brought into the hobby are blissfully unaware. SC guys want it easy. They see that Johnny Fastguy is running an AKA tire, but they don't have the experience to ask what insert Johnny Fastguy is running, so they just figure they must be the ones that come with the tires.

If you are going to do something smart (re-using inserts, running the right insert for the track conditions) concerning a SC truck, you can't get caught up by a company catering to the huddled masses of the SC truck market (the guys that have no idea, and blissfully plunk down an extra $7 because they don't know any better).
ifuonlyknew is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Hoese37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

You can get AKA tires with no foams.
Hoese37 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
  #9  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 105
Default

Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
You can get AKA tires with no foams.
Never seen aka sc tires with no foams, just 1/8.

To the op, If they came with no foams you might save $3 a pair. If you're on that much of a budget then maybe you should look for another hobby.
Homer723 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 AM
  #10  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (52)
 
thebizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 809
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Just released from AKA. Best foam out
[IMG][/IMG]
thebizz is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
  #11  
Tech Fanatic
 
vabroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: dark side of the moon
Posts: 935
Default

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew View Post
Because if they didn't come with foam, then someone would start a thread complaining about it on rctech.
True True
vabroom is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
  #12  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,851
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

The foam they do come with is valuable. If you have leftovers from previously used sets of tires, sell the new ones that come with your new tires. It should be easy to turn them over and it will take a bite out of the cost of your new tires.

If those black foams are the same hardness as the original 1/8 black foams they're WAY to firm for SCT's. The originals were too firm for 1/8th buggies which weigh 2x what a 2wd SCT does.
Davidka is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 AM
  #13  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 590
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
Just released from AKA. Best foam out
[IMG][/IMG]
Not seeing these on aka website.
Micah123 is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 AM
  #14  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 262
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Homer723 View Post
To the op, If they came with no foams you might save $3 a pair. If you're on that much of a budget then maybe you should look for another hobby.
This is not a whinge thread - it's a genuine query that I couldn't find anywhere else on an internet search.

Most of you seem to be missing the point: The cost is irrelevant in this question - it's a matter of waste. Why buy foams with every new set of tyres when I don't need them. At a set of tyres per race meet (20 minutes track time), it's wasteful enough, why throw away more? I see where a lot of you are coming from with "sell them" but where I'm racing I can't give them away - everyone else is in the same position.

Let's put AKA aside, Proline etc are the same (the only manufacturers I have experience with) and except for Hot Boddies (who charge the same regardless) they seem to all be the same.

Except for one response, the one I agree with, that SC is the 'cash cow' why do manufacturers do this?

Now if I want to use AKA medium foams I have to buy 2 sets of foams per pair of tyres????
whittie is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 AM
  #15  
Suspended
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mother America
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by whittie View Post
This is not a whinge thread - it's a genuine query that I couldn't find anywhere else on an internet search.

Most of you seem to be missing the point: The cost is irrelevant in this question - it's a matter of waste. Why buy foams with every new set of tyres when I don't need them. At a set of tyres per race meet (20 minutes track time), it's wasteful enough, why throw away more? I see where a lot of you are coming from with "sell them" but where I'm racing I can't give them away - everyone else is in the same position.

Let's put AKA aside, Proline etc are the same (the only manufacturers I have experience with) and except for Hot Boddies (who charge the same regardless) they seem to all be the same.

Except for one response, the one I agree with, that SC is the 'cash cow' why do manufacturers do this?

Now if I want to use AKA medium foams I have to buy 2 sets of foams per pair of tyres????
Sell them on here. At least the inserts can be used for SC or 1/8th scale. In your for sale thread explain why you are selling them, and you will move them quickly.

Everything that manufactures do with products for SC trucks is to maximize their profits and to cater to the majority of SC guys. You are in a special situation. Most of the time by the time a set of tires are worn out, the foams are shot too. There is always that fine line that the track owner has to walk. Little traction and no tire wear and everyone complains about the lack of traction. High traction and high tire wear and people complain about wearing out tires. If you are racing on dirt, maybe see if they can and some sand in next time they change the track. It will make the dirt hold together less, and hopefully cut down on tire wear. Or run the track wet.

Where are you from, and where do you race?
ifuonlyknew is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.