Wiki Posts
Search

Team Durango DEX408 or Serpent 811-BE. help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Team Durango DEX408 or Serpent 811-BE. help

I just cant decide between these two cars. On one end I see parts support for the Durango being much greater in the Chicago area, on the other end, I hardly ever broke anything with my RC8b so I am not too worried about the Serpent.

I know the durango seems to get criticized for two main reasons. 1.) ESC is up high rather than low like the 811-be. 2)The rear end on this car seems to have a lot of problems braaking loose.

Serpent
Parts are pretty expensive and availability seems to be pretty impossible.

Can you guys / girls give some opinions. I plan on ordering something by Monday
Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I driven both cars and they are both really good with the right setup. I run a rc8.2e now. I personally like the layout and build quality on the Durango. The serpent is really packed together, but it can run really good. Either way, you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I don't like the esc being mounted on the top of the center diff on the Durango but that's the only problem I have with it. Mine handles great and is tough as nails. It's fast and is definitely no looser than an 8ight 2.0 in the back end. I had my one month old DEX408 listed on here last week in the for sale ads and then took it down. If you are serious about buying one send me a PM and we might can work something out.

I've never owned the Serpent so I can't give a direct comparison of the two.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. Anyone else?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

the way the ESC is mounted on the Durango is on a plastic plate that is separated from the chassis. If you case a jump, the chassis and the plastic plate absorb the shock rather than it going directly to your ESC. Food for thought.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 191 (100%+)
Default Dex vs 811

Was in same boat bout a month ago. I drove Mugen Eco at the time. after driving a friends serpent, I bought the dex. Can't go wrong with either. Parts availability and personal driving style make difference for me. I love my dex, but unfortunately it is for sale.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Serpent.....both are nice but id say serpent for parts availability and just remember use loctite...
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

So far 4 are saying DEX 1 saying Serpent. Not gonna lie a little shocked. Keep the recommendations rolling in. Will be ordering something in the next 12 hours. Still liking the dex, but still considering the Serpent.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Have you checked out the tekno eb48?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tommytom
So far 4 are saying DEX 1 saying Serpent. Not gonna lie a little shocked. Keep the recommendations rolling in. Will be ordering something in the next 12 hours. Still liking the dex, but still considering the Serpent.
I'll have my dex at lhs wed if u want to try it out. I'll also be there sat.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

No, only reason is I really like the twin 2s battery configuration. I have an rc8.2e right now that I haven't even driven, but I cant justify running a 4s pack, when I have so many 2s stick packs, plus if 4s pack has a cell die I'm out a good chunk of money where as stick packs I can replace one stick and they are cheaper.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

mate i like my serpent its a beast i have driven alot but serpent made to fit my driving styie as i am going too it
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have purchased a Dex408, Eco, 811be & Tekno. The DEX is very inconsistent, it can turn very fast laps. For some reason I broke over 6 rear outer hinge pins. The rest of the car is a tank. The Eco is just a great car with cat like reflexes.

The Tekno Eb48 is the best out of the bunch, handles great out of the box. So you may want to reconsider your list.

The serpent is a good car, but it is very heavy. It is not the best car, but does everything pretty good with no outstanding weaknesses.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jpas
I have purchased a Dex408, Eco, 811be & Tekno. The DEX is very inconsistent, it can turn very fast laps. For some reason I broke over 6 rear outer hinge pins. The rest of the car is a tank. The Eco is just a great car with cat like reflexes.

The Tekno Eb48 is the best out of the bunch, handles great out of the box. So you may want to reconsider your list.

The serpent is a good car, but it is very heavy. It is not the best car, but does everything pretty good with no outstanding weaknesses.
Did you break the hinge pins while taking hard hits on the track? I hadn't heard of hinge pin weakness issues.....?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I'm running an 811 nitro converted over to ebuggy. I am running staggered 2s packs in the tray without any issue, and the same can be done with most if not all of the ebuggies today. I would not let battery choice disuade you from a car option.

That being said, which one is actually being driven at your track? My assumption (could be wrong) is if you are asking for help here, then you are a beginner driver to ebuggy and performance should probably take a back seat to setup help, durability, and parts availability (in that order).

Serpent and Durango both make very good cars, but if you can't get one setup correctly, you will not enjoy it. Mugen is the flavor of the month here and I have one of the few Serpents running (nitro or ebuggy). Went racing over the weekend with 2 friends, one driving a new Kyosho MP9 nitro and the other a new Mugen MBX6 ebuggy. They both had setup advice from others at the track while I was on my own.

Something to keep in mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.