Wiki Posts
Search

INDOOR RACING V.S OUTDOOR RACING

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Just practice being consistent at the track - making the majority of your laps without getting marshalled. Don't worry about being slow. You don't have to be the fastest, just the most consistent. It is much better to run all 22-23 second laps for instance than one or two 20-21 second laps and then a bunch of 24 second laps because you keep hitting tubes or getting marshalled.

You absolutely don't have to be the fastest guy to be in the Amain, just the most consistent.

Once you can make it around the track without being marshalled more than once or twice for a full qualifier, then focus on shaving some time off your laps through setup changes and faster motors. You want to get to a point with your driving where it is the car holding you back, not yourself.

It takes a ton of time and doesn't happen over night.
Thanks for the pointers. I've got my electronics identical to some of the top finishers locally. lrp esc with reedy sonic 17.5 I plan on running it with no to little timing at first until like you said I can make it around the track for the whole race without being marshalled.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

17.5 racing is fun. I wouldnt get rid of it for nothing.
Im used to running modified but rather run 17.5 for the extra runtime you get.

Stadium trucks are coming back here with the release of the T4.2 truck.
Im gonna have to get me one now.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by gticlay
I've always enjoyed outdoor racing quite a bit more than indoor. Bigger, wide open, and, well, not inside a building all day. Looking foward to summer racing, outside!
Same here, I enjoy outdoor tracks over indoor. Only "true" off-roading is done outdoors!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The only thing that i do different from indoors to outdoors is change tires and change shock oil if depending on the temperature throughout the day and thats pretty much it besides along with adapting to the outdoor conditions
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by kman16jr
The only thing that i do different from indoors to outdoors is change tires and change shock oil if depending on the temperature throughout the day and thats pretty much it besides along with adapting to the outdoor conditions

Well yea your right its somewhat similar . Although if your running on a indoor carpet track you do need to do a couple of diffrent things but nothing extreme though. But one thing you do want when you run on a tight indoor track than compared to running outdoor is trying to make your truck/ buggy etc lighter because thats when you will notice heavyest.

I like carpet indoors better than the indoor you dont lose traction lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sur3fir3
In reading through this thread being 100% new to racing, I see that before I worry about any changes to my b4.2 I should just work on my driving until I can make it through a race without crashing once right? I've already got some of the recommended tires for my area, that coupled with the b4.2 I should just keep to stock parts, and worry about shaving time when I start being consistent in my laps.

Also do you guys think it would be beneficial for me to practice on asphalt with no jumps, just practicing turns and etc? I think this wouldnt work cause of the traction differences. please I need to figure out a way to practice besides going to the track. any advice is appreciated.
I would with everything everyone has said but with one thing to consider.

If the fact you are crashing so much is because of a setup issue causing it (say, not enough pack so you nose down off of jumps), making a change at that point can be beneficial and help you not crash.

So don't be opposed to doing that just for the sake of not making changes when you have an issue identified.

Also, your idea to practice turns, nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind that how the vehicle feels doing turns will probably different on different surfaces (more push, etc). This at times can affect how you drive the vehicle.