R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   E-Truggy! Mechanical or motor brakes? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/705360-e-truggy-mechanical-motor-brakes.html)

KC10Chief 02-16-2013 02:14 AM

E-Truggy! Mechanical or motor brakes?

I'm building an RC8T E-truggy at the moment with a Tekno V4 chassis. I'm thinking about running mechanical brakes. Do I need a high torque servo for that? I was thinking about going with a Savox SC-0252MG which is a standard metal gear servo. It is rated at 145oz of torque at 6.0V. I am using a Savox SC-1256TG for the steering. It's rated at 277oz of torque at 6.0V. But then I've been eyeballing the Savox SA-1283SG. It's rated at 416oz of torque at 6.0V! I thought about getting the 1283 (416oz) and making that my steering servo, and making the 1256 (277oz) my brake servo. But it's probably overkill for both. Right? The 1283 is $100. The 0252 is $37.

Thoughts?

Pulse_ 02-16-2013 03:57 AM

mechnical brakes = more parts + heavier + more expensive + less room + potentially an added source of trouble

it's interesting to try mechanical brakes but the large majority of drivers do just fine with motor brakes

Davidka 02-16-2013 06:59 AM

I run motor brakes on my buggy but for truggy I'd try mechanical brakes over motor. Motor brakes are hard on motors and this will be exaggerated with the extra weight and traction of a truggy. They're more complicated but you can adjust bias and it should help you keep your motor temperatures in the safe zone and maybe even improve run time.

I agree with Pulse about the negative points of them but on the other side the system is no different than on a nitro buggy and reliability isn't a big issue with those guys. Just have to set them up right.

tc5 man 02-16-2013 08:20 AM

I would do just motor brakes on the Truggy i ran E-Truggy last season and the hottest my motor ran was 145 degress on a big outdoor track. I do gota agree with Pulse on the Mechnical brake it is just something extra to go wrong and added weight for sure and lets be honest you switch to electric to get away from Nitro stuff.

Take a look at the traction control clutch from Tekno if anything !

KC10Chief 02-16-2013 01:13 PM

Thanks for the advice! I do have the Traktion clutch. I guess I'll just try the motor brakes for now and can always add mechanical brakes later. I'll be racing here in Alaska for the first part of the season. It rarely gets above 65 degrees outside in the summer. But I'm moving to Oklahoma in July. It's hot down there. 110 in the summer. Motor temps are a concern down there I'd think.

8ight-e 02-16-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pulse_ (Post 11822056)
mechnical brakes = more parts + heavier + more expensive + less room + potentially an added source of trouble

it's interesting to try mechanical brakes but the large majority of drivers do just fine with motor brakes

a second servo, break linkage ? really? They have been in nitro truggys for what? Ever? lol almost no weight, in fact it balances the truggy better w/ the tekno kit using the mech brakes.

a few more items to add to the list..

front rear brake bais, save 10+ degrees on motor temps, extend motor life x2 due to less work. Everything is a source of trouble, but a servo tied in doing brakes is not one of them. This almost never fails (again see nitro use). The only time a servo fails on a nitro is due to improper setup. I've run the same brake servo for 3+ years now. Never had a single brake issue, period.

Just my 2c, I've run it both way's I'd do the mechanical brake option every time. The traktrion drive or a e-clutch imo is almost a must especially w/ the torque these things have, huge drive train saver and huge rear diff saver.

My 2c

Pulse_ 02-17-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 8ight-e (Post 11824253)
a second servo, break linkage ? really? They have been in nitro truggys for what? Ever? lol almost no weight, in fact it balances the truggy better w/ the tekno kit using the mech brakes.

front rear break bais, save 10+ degrees on motor temps, extend motor life x2 due to less work. Everything is a source of trouble, but a servo tied in doing brakes is not one of them. This almost never fails (again see nitro use). The only time a servo fails on a nitro is due to improper setup. I've run the same brake servo for 3+ years now. Never had a single brake issue, period.

Just my 2c, I've run it both way's I'd do the mechanical brake option every time. The traktrion drive or a e-clutch imo is almost a must especially w/ the torque these things have, huge drive train saver and huge rear diff saver.

My 2c

where did you get these infos? I'm quite surprised about mechanical brakes extending motor life x2

8ight-e 02-17-2013 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pulse_ (Post 11826928)
where did you get these infos? I'm quite surprised about mechanical brakes extending motor life x2

Just avg's from experience, I'd guess 4+ years now since the release of the first tekno v1 i've been playing w/ these.. not included the 3+ years on my converted nitro e-revo prior to that running these type of systems. Running at a minimum of 10' cooler all the time, up to 20' at times depending on the motor and setup and ambiant temps. Just simply extended rebuild times btw bearings & rotor strength.

Dan 02-18-2013 12:21 AM

Running mechanical brakes on my MBX6T Tekno V4. Just plain like the feel of it better and increased run time too.

LRPO 08-23-2013 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=8ight-e;11824253]a second servo, break linkage ? really? They have been in nitro truggys for what? Ever? lol almost no weight, in fact it balances the truggy better w/ the tekno kit using the mech brakes.

front rear brake bais, save 10+ degrees on motor temps, extend motor life x2 due to less work. Everything is a source of trouble, but a servo tied in doing brakes is not one of them. This almost never fails (again see nitro use). The only time a servo fails on a nitro is due to improper setup. I've run the same brake servo for 3+ years now. Never had a single brake issue, period.

My 2c

sorry to bring this post back up from the dead but I wd go with mech brakes for a truggy. If you got the extra coin the why not? I see why alot of folks use the motor brakes and thats cool....but I also like my motor to run cool. I'm in Northern Ca where we see 93 to 100 degree weather throught the summer. I'm sure the motor breaks wd over heat a motor way quicker then mech brakes...plus the wear and tear. I think folks use the motor breaks over mech brakes because they dont wanna buy a new chassis to get it properly set up. Tekno all the way with traction drive/mech brakes. I have my stock chassis and a Losi conversion kit sitting here...maybe I'll try it someday?

RavensNightFury 08-23-2013 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 11828846)
Running mechanical brakes on my MBX6T Tekno V4. Just plain like the feel of it better and increased run time too.

how does it incress run time

aloksatoor 08-23-2013 04:52 PM

I would always go mechanical brakes. Just love the feel of it on my nitro car. Brakes make an important part of the driving experience for me. And since you can tune them to the nth degree with mech brakes I would prefer that. Motor brakes are essentially slamming 3 shorted coils on the rotor which eventually will weaken it. Lot easier to replace a steel disc and pads than a rotor.

aloksatoor 08-23-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by RavensNightFury (Post 12477716)
how does it incress run time

Less heat from motor, less battery consumption. That brake servo sips amps from the receiver battery.

RavensNightFury 08-23-2013 05:21 PM

its like the current control limted what tekin got on there rx8

portyansky 08-23-2013 06:33 PM

If you like to tinker, go with the servo, but most drivers don't. Even the pro drivers that wanna sell servos that they are sponsored by don't. But it's your choice, just get yourself an external bec.