R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default xxx-4 g+ needs more steering

I was wonder if any one has got more steering out of there xxx-4 if so which parts were used and what was removed. please help
pvtysux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1armed1

What type of track, current setup, tires?
Push going in or coming out of the corner?
Rear end planted or loose?
1armed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Do you run on a high traction track? If so try a set of holeshots on the front i found that they gave me the steering i was chasing, but there was a couple of guy's that put some of there mods on the xxx4 thread on this forum.

Hope this helps,
Adam
ADZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
Tech Elite

A one way works great at our track. Just make sure you use outdrive savers and dremel down the cvds so they don't pull out the outdrives
Old 04-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Anybody ever wonder why they still use those composite outdrives?
I wish they'd just make them out of steel and be done with it...
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1armed1

Just build a rear diff and put it in the front.
THe only difference is the steel outdrives and the bearing tube that the bearing and gear rides on.
1armed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Here's a few of the major changes that I always change on my car when you are trying to find a good setup where you need steering.

FRONT END CHANGES:
----------------------------
A one-way will be one of the biggest changes in giving you more steering. It will make the car a little harder to drive though. If you don't have a one-way, you can loosen the front diff for more turn in. The car will want to push or wander coming out of the corner though. If you tighten the front diff, the car will push going into a corner, but it will square up and have a lot more on power steering as you exit the corner.

Another big change can be the front camber link. If you shorten it, you will gain steering, however the car gets more twitchy as you get shorter. If you use the lower holes on the tower, this will give you more camber change as the suspension compresses, therefore giving you more high speed steering. You can also accomplish this same effect or add greater effect by adding a washer or two under the carrier ball stud.

Changing the front kickup also has a big effect. Generally, I think 7.5 works the best, however 5 degrees will give you more steering. Don't use the 5 degree block though unless your track is very smooth. If the track is rough, you may want to go to the 10 degree blocks as this will help absorb the bumps much better.

REAR END CHANGES:
--------------------------
If you run a short camber link in the rear, your car will carry more corner speed going in, however it will have more traction therefore making the car push. A short link is best used on slick surfaces where you have a lot of steering already. The shorter you go however, the more twitchy the car will get. If you run a longer rear link, the rear end will react slower, but you will gain steering. A good starting point is the middle of the tower and the outside of the hubs.

The rear anti-squat is also a major change. Running more anti-squat (-3) will make the rear end a little looser, therefore giving the feeling of more steering. Running less anti-squat (-1) or pro squat (1) will give you more rear traction. This works best on high traction tracks to keep the rear end front sliding out on high speed corners.

The last of the major changes in the rear is hub spacing. If you make the wheelbase shorter, the car will have more steering entering a corner and have more off power steering. This will make the car harder to driver at times however. By making the wheelbase longer, the car will enter corners smoother and not as hard, but you will gain exit steering and on power steering.

OTHER CHANGES:
----------------------
Obviously, suspension settings play a major part in the steering of the car, but generally I try to let the suspension work best for the way the car jumps and rolls into the corners, and let the geometry of the car affect how it steers and pivots.

Moving the battery forward will also give you more steering. Moving the battery back will give less steering, but make the rear end want to dump over and swing out more exiting a corner.

If you let us know what kind of track and surface you are running on, I can try to post a good starting setup for you.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I get the impression you are actually looking for more lock on your car? not just more steering from your setup?

if this is the case then someone I know makes steering extensions and a shorter draglink.
It also has the ball mounted in the centre of the draglink for a more consistant left to right steering curve.

This actually reduces the ackerman that the car has. the outside wheel turns a lot more than the standard setup. You get a much tighter turning circle than with the std g+ steering setup.

You need to take a small amount out of the drive tunnel but nothing that would leave a hole for the dirt to get in. in the above pictures I have not done this yet so you would actually get more lock than is pictured.

this was origionally designed and tested for the super high bite UK tracks where its not possible to get the car to pivot in the corners, you need to 'drive' around the corners so we designed these to get a tighter turning circle to allow this.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:17 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Thanks Chris,

The carbon fibre steering mods you see on Chris's car were something e friend of mine an myself designed and had made. As Chris says they physically increase the physical lock which on a very tight section of track if on high bite is essential to a good lap time in the UK.

The steering centre link has also been reduced by 4mm which also increases lock. The servo link pickup is relocated to the centre, this gives a flatter angle of the servo link which seems to increases the linearity of the steering.

For any other info look at
Carbon steering link

Read through the bit on carbon towers as the steering bit is further down I think.

Any comments I would find interesting.

Dan
super__dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

how much are those in us dollars and the shock towers and what would be shipping.

thanks mark
pvtysux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:33 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Hi,

The steering bits would $20 and the towers $20 each.

The steering sets could be a bit cheaper if you didn't want the screws and nuts as these are the bits we often run out of, so if you have lots of screws and just wanted the carbon bits we could do that for say $15.

If you are seriously interested let me know and I'll price postage up at the post office!

Dan

PS If mentioning prices is not allowed on this forum please selete and apologies
super__dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #12
Tech Adept

have you tried running a sway bar in the rear, i found that would increase steering and that was even on rough tracks. if holeshots work on your track but your track is rough you may want to take a set of red x-2000 cut the cent row out and reglue the tire. this tire is flatter and does not catch the holes and ruts.
DAVE BERNATH is offline   Reply With Quote