Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storage charge rate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Hey Guys, I'm getting back in hobby after a long lay off so the girlfriends kid can race. So the lipo thing is new for me, is doing a discharge the same as using the storage mode on the charger? If not, is one way better than the other? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stewy28
Hey Guys, I'm getting back in hobby after a long lay off so the girlfriends kid can race. So the lipo thing is new for me, is doing a discharge the same as using the storage mode on the charger? If not, is one way better than the other? Thanks.
There is no good reason to discharge a lipo unless it's holding a lot of charge and you want to store it. As long as you're using if somewhat frequently and leave it about 1/2 charged, you're good.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I store my lipos at full charge...other than that they seem to git puffy...but it could be just me:/
This contradicts your last post. Well it's just stupid not to store lipos in the right voltage.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lower amp rates charging and discharging will give your batteries a longer lifespan. Discharge them as slow as you have the patience for.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My charger stops at 7.60volts.
You really have to have a storage charge mode for Lipos. My Hitec X4 AC Plus
has it built in. I put them on the charger in storage charge mode once a week to keep them there.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by nanoverse
This contradicts your last post. Well it's just stupid not to store lipos in the right voltage.
How does that contradict my last post.?...I said that I store them at full charge, cause the other bats I had got puffy...and I was storing them at half full....so now thatbi store these at full, they havnt puffed yet
Old 02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Storage Charge with a Hitec. Seems to work well. I have let some sit at 100% with no ill effects.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by PureEvil95
Storage Charge with a Hitec. Seems to work well. I have let some sit at 100% with no ill effects.
YEAH i let them sit all the time...i mean if its at 60% why not let it be at 100'''
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
YEAH i let them sit all the time...i mean if its at 60% why not let it be at 100'''
Because it typically causes the Internal Resistance to go up, reducing performance (effectively lowers C). And frequently, but not always, leads to puffing.

Generally more of a problem with higher performance lipos.

Curious, how low do you typically run/discharge them?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by stewy28
Storage mode is to get the lipo somewhere around 50% in capacity. Which may take either some discharging or charging depending on where it was to start with.

Agree with Davidka that discharging is rarely needed. Perhaps occasionally as a capacity check as one measure of condition. But be careful, lipos don't like heavy discharges. Most chargers discharge slowly and thus need a higher cutoff voltage than when running in a RC. Reason is the higher load of the RC causes more voltage drop than a slow charger discharge. 3.6V/cell on a typical 5 to 10W discharge power charger is pretty low relative to lipo capacity. Perhaps a little lower than 3.6V if you have a higher discharge capable device, in the 10 amps or higher range.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
My charger stops at 7.60volts.
Check to see if your charger has the option to change the lvc/volts per cell on discharge. If it does then you can just discharge to whatever v/cell you'd like to store at after you're done running.