What 1/8 buggy to buy!!?!! >

What 1/8 buggy to buy!!?!!

What 1/8 buggy to buy!!?!!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default What 1/8 buggy to buy!!?!!

PLEASE DELETE THREAD

i am looking to build a 1/8 buggy and could use some serious help. I was at first looking into buying the hpi vorza flux hp but i have heard building a kit is the way to go. However its alot more expensive. So now i am looking around trying to figure out what kit to build and what to put in the kit after.

Some of the kits i am interested in would be:
-Team associated rc8.2e $468.00 amainhobbies
-Ofna Nexx8 $250.00 amainhobbies
-Duratrax DXR8 $350.00 towerhobbies
-hotbodies Ve8 $300.00 towerhobbies

As far as the Tx/Rx i have been looking at either the :
Flysky 4-CH FS-iT4 TX, RX W/ Telemetry/Tem/Vol Sensors $170.00
Spektrum SPM3140 w/ telemetry (2 rx) $150.00

As far as the motor/servo/esc i have no idea what i want other then some brand preferences such as Novac

My end budget i would like to keep under $800.00(not including batteries or the charger witch i still have to buy so suggestions on those are welcome too)

Any build suggestions or examples would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by cmeans_23; 02-11-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: DELETE THREAD
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Also i see myself leaning toward the duratrax or the rx8.2e more then others for the parts availability but i am open to any other buggys as well

Can you also include price/locations of the items you suggest if you have them Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Someone has a similar thread to what you are talking about...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...buggy-buy.html

I got a Duratrax DXR8-e and love it!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Look for a losi 8ight-e 2.0 on mark down, most resellers if they have stock left are moving these at 279 to 299 usd. Then get a 150amp combo from falcon to power it.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

The only thing that concerns me about the losi is the lack of parts here at the local hobby shop however i'm sure you can find them very easily online being that they are a fairly new vehicle.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I purchased a Flysky transmitter.. I think it's called GTB for about $40 bucks. It is ok, but probably not the best for racing... For a charger I would recommend a Thunder AC6 charger at Hobbypartz.com for approx. 40 bucks You could also purchase two for $80ish to charge two batts. at once... or check into a charger that may charge two lipos at once.. for less than a hunderd if they exist... Your charger decision may depend on what vehicle you get.. Will you get a vehicle that uses a 4s battery or two 2s batteries i.e.... Do you plan on racing? If so, visit a local track and ask around. Someone may have a good quality used buggy for sale with equip. They can also help u set it up.... If you are not going to purchase used I would try to purchase the best quality buggy you can.. You want a buggy that will not wear out... 8ight also gives some good advice.... As far as batteries a lot of guys like SMC... They appear cheap and are of good quality according to others... If you are bashing any good quality buggy will be fun... just don't get a cheap one as it will give u headaches... I like Serpent, Tekno, and Mugen... for durability and lack of wear. Associated would be 4th in my book.... Losi would be ok... Xray would also be an elite buggy, but I heard they have problems blowing diff bearings... but are high quality otherwise.. Also, if you are racing outdoors you will need a more durable buggy.. Indoors tend to have smaller jumps and are quite as hard on vehicles... I would not purchase a duratrax or Nexx 8 as I do not think they will last... I think the Nexx8 would need about a hundred bucks to make it more durable.. might as well buy a better car up front.... Serpent has a sport version new for $399... I hope u heed my advice... it will save u money and aggravation in the long run....
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cmeans_23 View Post
The only thing that concerns me about the losi is the lack of parts here at the local hobby shop however i'm sure you can find them very easily online being that they are a fairly new vehicle.
It's pretty hard to brake the 8ight-e, maybe keep a spare spur.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Out of all of the 1/8ebuggies I've ever owned, The Tekno RC EB48 is by far my favorite. Tekno RC is setting new standards for racing kit performance
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Responding to SOUTHFLORIDAAPP (sry mean to quote it i am new to the forums so bear with me lol)

Thanks for the feedback first of all. To help understand my intentions i am building for a racer not to bash. The track here in town is a outdoor track and seems to have pretty good size jumps as does the track in omaha witch i would race during the offseason(indoor hoppy plex with a very well set up track).

The fly sky transmitter i am looking at is a touchscreen with telemetry(i want this to monitor heat) and the price i posted was with a rx and the telemetry connectors. However i dont know much about flysky just seems as if its a popular brand. However i am leaning toward the spektrum due to the fact that is comes with two r/x's so i could use one in the 1/8 scale buggy and one in my xxx-s touring car.

Now for the charger i want to be able to charge atleast a 4s battery on it(probably will end up running a dual 4s if capable or even 2 3s batterys). The only think i see with the thunder charger you recommend is that is is a 50w and i've read people are charging alot faster then that. Otherwise i like it. My dilemma with battery choice right now is trying to figure out what i need for the 1/8 scale(2s x 2 or 3s x 2) cause i am upgrading my xxx-s for on-road racing too and would like to be able to use the same batteries for both if possible.

As far as 8eights advice the hobbywing esc motor combos seam like a pretty popular/affordable set-up however i have not heard much feedback on them are these of a good quality line?are they common to deal well with heat?

Now as far as your top three brand choices i hear of Mugen over and over again and have heard nothing but good so far. These are a expensive kit from what i see but how easy are the parts to get i dont know if the LHS here sells them i kno they dont sell any kits of the Mugen line up though. Serpent i have only seen online i have not read or heard anything of them so some feedback on why you like them would be helpful as well as tekno.

I appreciate every last bit of info you give me and am doing my best to "heed" your advice. I am not trying to build a cheap car for the fact that i dont want to have to upgrade in the near future however i have to try and keep a reasonable budget for i am not just doing a 1/8 scale buggy i am also revamping my xxx-s to try out the on-road raceing as well as buying the battery charger and lipos too. And ill say again Thanks for all the advice I NEED IT
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
It's pretty hard to brake the 8ight-e, maybe keep a spare spur.
Thanks again i am looking at them right now You also recommended the hobbywing set up... do you run this ? If so do you have anyproblems with overheating? I will be racing outside and i dont want to have any issues with the heat. And Looking at the motor on there site it doesnt show the "kv" rating or the turn of the motor ?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
Out of all of the 1/8ebuggies I've ever owned, The Tekno RC EB48 is by far my favorite. Tekno RC is setting new standards for racing kit performance
have you been able to find parts for this easily? And what other buggys have you owned to compare to?Looking at this buggy it appears to be of good quality however it is at the top of the price range i would like too spend(witch is why i ask what other buggys you have owned and are comparing it too)

Thanks again for the advice
Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Id recomend a serpent 811be 2.0
Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
Id recomend a serpent 811be 2.0
Glad to see another good recommendation of this brand the buggy looks nice agian with the question though of how hard is it to get parts for this car and is there any common problems of your knowledge(every car has them so i aint trying to hold it against them just weigh my options)

Thanks again
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Car is extremely good on parts.... go to serpent site and try to find a item that's out of stock lol.... i have a ton of spare parts because i have honestly never broke a single thing on this car and all spares i ordered to begin with are still nip
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cmeans_23 View Post
Thanks again i am looking at them right now You also recommended the hobbywing set up... do you run this ? If so do you have anyproblems with overheating? I will be racing outside and i dont want to have any issues with the heat. And Looking at the motor on there site it doesnt show the "kv" rating or the turn of the motor ?
In fact the hobbywing esc's are better than more expensive ones (caugh caugh rx8). I ran the 150a esc's in both my 1/8 scale's for over a year now w/o a single issue. The hobbywing motors are super strong if u find one in the right kv range. I'm running tekin t8 motors in both of mine but I'm at 6s lipo. For a 4s lipo run 1800-2200kv motors (1900-2000 for sweet spot). For 6s run 1400-1550 range for best results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service