Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What 1/8 buggy to buy!!?!! >

What 1/8 buggy to buy!!?!!

What 1/8 buggy to buy!!?!!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

mugens battery case uses either or..2 2s or 1 4s battery

noper never used a serpent...Dont plan on it either..Good car im sure,but this guy need good options for parts

sounds like this guy is on a budget so,I say he can get a used good mugen for very cheap!! And he can also convert with parts or the Tekno conversion..

The losi is in the same boat as the mugen,you can get a used car and convert for cheap,plus the option of going back to nitro if u want,losi and mugen can convert to the newest platforms on the market(losi 3.0 and mbx7)..No other kit can do that without changing the a lot..

also speed passion is great!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That is true but for most part u have to order and take parts with you, I've never had serpent tell me anything was on backorder and he has a large budget to work with
Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Id sell mugen ready to race minus reciever and transponder for 600 with 2 packs new servo speedo and motor... id even throw in a couple sets of tires
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

My son races for mugen but I would seriously say losi,Never had one but I know all the losi drivers here in socal..Good car for a budget racer and im sure your lhs can get parts,also associated...As a racer,all these kits are awesome,but for someone on a budget and not trying to do too much online shopping,I would say losi or associated
I think you have to be really into racing to appreciate the cars like the serpent,durango,tekno,mugen kits..Those are race kits meant for racing..Not good for the budget racer,or bashing...
Buy american!! Losi/AE
Also major props to you man for trying to support your LHS and not do too much online shopping!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

True but a lot of people quit the hobby cause of inferior equipment and no help.... rather help someone get good equipment to learn with and stick around. seen way to many quit over the past 30 years
Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
True but a lot of people quit the hobby cause of inferior equipment and no help.... rather help someone get good equipment to learn with and stick around. seen way to many quit over the past 30 years
True,I use speedpassion esc and tekin motor..Get a good esc speedpassion/hobby wing..They are not expensive and have good reliability.. A couple fried esc's will turn you off in Ebuggy...Good use out of castle also
Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmeans_23 View Post
OK so to update my opinion on everything i am thinking ill look around for a decent used roller if i can find one otherwise bite the bullet on a big money roller such as the serpent .

As far as the electronics i am thinking ill use :
Hobbywing 150a esc $95
most likely a tekin 1900 kv motor $140
Spektrum Dxs3 w/ 2 rx's &telmetry $150

So far i still need a servo(probably have to pick a roller first i assume?) and the roller itself. The speed passion esc recommended above was described as a 1/10 esc and also only accepts 2s lipos. The hobbywing esc shows up to a 6s battery so can i run 2 3s batteries with it?(this would allow me to run a 3s in my touring car so i can interchange batteries for on/off road race days).

Still looking at chargers i'm leaning towards getting atleast two 4100 mah 40c 11.1v 3s batteries (if i can run dual battery) @ $40.00 each
I picked up a used Serpent S811 here with the RC monster electric conversion. Only recently got it running, but loving it so far. I went the same way, Hobbywing ESC (150A Xerun is the preferred as it is sensored, the EzRun is sensorless), and a Tekin T8 1900kv. Our outdoor tracks here are considered medium sized mostly (35-45sec laps) and the 1900 is a great balance of top end and torque. You want to run 4s, whether you get there with a single 4s or dual 2s. I am using my TC batteries so pretty much exactly what you are wanting to do. The Hobbywing ESC comes setup for wiring dual 2s packs as well (2 deans plugs). My TC batteries are 4mm plug style so had to make harnesses to deans, but otherwise was cake.

Originally Posted by cmeans_23 View Post
I have been reading on different items all day(rollers,motors,esc,lipos ect.) so far i am finding that it seems a easier fit would be to run 2s lipos and just do duel lipo's in the 1/8 scale. By doing this will i lose power at all? or just run time?
Running 2s in series just doubles the voltage. Same thing as a 4s. I am running Revtech 6000mah 28c packs and they did fine.

Just starting out, i'd personally recommend looking at used buggies, preferably something local as you can ask the seller for setup help as well. If you like it, resell the used roller and pick up something new. Electronics will carry over.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Yep... i think speedpassion is smoother than my tekin.... just use tekin. cause its a hair smaller
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well cmeans I'm really not talking trash ..... I've got mbx6eco and 2 packs for it ill sell
What are you looking to get for it and what packs are you willing to part with. And i like the serpent i am however looking around at some peoples used kits i did find one i like alot however its a duratrax dxr8. Brand new though with a mamba monster 2050kv esc motor combo and a ds3 tx/rx that a guy built but his track is no longer so he is selling.He wants $650
What you think? appears to be a pretty good deal just not sure about the duratrax i've read good and bad
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

600 With speedpassion esc and motor.... reedy and thunder power batteries new jr servo and ill give new set of j concept super softs to race along with a practice set
Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

well i started to post quotes before i realized i had like 10 posts so ill say THANKS for all the help again and again i appreciate it.

I have found a few deals i'm trying to poach on see if i can get a good deal...One being a serpent b11 for 250 roller but i havent heard back and the post has no pics.also its in a singapore sales thread(dont know if that is a option for me)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/singapor...ggy-cheap.html

and another i mentioned earlier was the duratrax brand new for 650 he was willing to also throw in the ds3 spektrum (in witch i already planned to buy) details above.

and as everyone has informed me 4s is the way i will pry just purchase a 4s and a 2s(4s for buggy 2s for touring) and double up when i need too

Any highly recommend chargers would be great (pry under $100 if i can)

and again i'd like to thank all you for the help i am new to the forum and you are making things very easy for me
I would like some more details on the muegan you have as well racer mac(what motor,esc,servo ect.) and maybe even a few pics if you got them
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Text at 757 513 2461 and i can send pictures
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

600 With speedpassion esc and motor.... reedy and thunder power batteries new jr servo and ill give new set of j concept super softs to race along with a practice set
u cant beat that!!..Only good about the duratrax is it comes with a radio and good esc...I would not buy that car personally..
also it the resale value is not good,very hard to resale,not too popular..I would get the ve8 before a duratrax and the ve8 isat the bottom of the list
His deal is pretty good for a all out race car with good electronics
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
u cant beat that!!..Only good about the duratrax is it comes with a radio and good esc...I would not buy that car personally..
also it the resale value is not good,very hard to resale,not too popular..I would get the ve8 before a duratrax and the ve8 isat the bottom of the list
bout time you guys agree:P thanks for the imput i'm checking it all out i'll probably hold off on the duratrax as i was kind of worried about its quality anywho.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
How is the Ve8 at the bottom of the list?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service