Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread > TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
Like Tree6Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread


Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 PM
  #6406  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (20)
 
nEoNidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: So Cal Baby !!!!!
Posts: 185
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Hmmmm

Originally Posted by BSCFlash View Post
Casper, I like the Tekin/Tekin setup as mentioned in my signature (I have BOTH combinations, as my signature shows). But for the 2-pole, we tested everything possible with the Orion and the RX8. As MS mentioned, the settings on the Orion give us the top end we want with the 12 gearing. Maddog and MS dominate the local scene with this combination.

With the RX8, though, we just can't it from "feeling like a turd" with the 2-pole. We even called Tekin to get their settings--and as Maddog mentioned, but it just didn't compare with the Orion, performance wise.

Please give us any secrets you know of in regards to the RX8 settings. Would love to hear from Randy Pike if he's sees this thread as well. My only beef with the Orion is that we've blown up three of these darn things! The RX8 seems to be bulletproof, though.

P.S. ... we love your grease!
So now I have to decide if I want to spend the $ on a new ESC, or get a new motor. (used). Looks like it if lean towards ESC, to go new, cause it my blow up. Dilema.
nEoNidas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 AM
  #6407  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nEoNidas View Post
So now I have to decide if I want to spend the $ on a new ESC, or get a new motor. (used). Looks like it if lean towards ESC, to go new, cause it my blow up. Dilema.
With Tekin, you can buy a combo. The hot setup is the Rx8 Gen2 and the "old" 4600. For many, the 4300 has too much power for this truck. Casper runs the 4600 for that reason.

Look at my signature below for the combos we run. We run mostly on small indoor stracks, so the 2-pole setup has been great for that. The guys have been going to 2-pole because it has more "usable power" and doesn't tend to blow the the tires off on initial acceleration.

Sure we blew up several Orions, and we don't know why, but they replaced them with brand new ones under warranty in a jiffy--Horizon has GREAT customer service as does Tekin.

PM Maddog and he will steer you in the right direction. He's the fast guy, I'm just an old hack with really great equipment.

Last edited by BSCFlash; 03-21-2014 at 10:03 AM.
BSCFlash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 AM
  #6408  
Tech Apprentice
 
Mclogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 96
Default

Hi BSCFlash,
regarding the Orions... do you mean motors or esc?

As we had some guys at the track that had issues with motors (but not excessive heat), mostly bearings etc.

The R10 pro however did fail for some guys with the 4600kv VST2 4 pole... it works flawless with the Hobbywing V3.1 however. Which is kind of strange, since the esc are pretty much the same... guess the firmware/setting isn't.
Mclogo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 AM
  #6409  
Tech Master
iTrader: (66)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mc Rae, AR
Posts: 1,459
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default No Slop Ball Bearing Carbon Fiber Centerlink Ackerman Plate

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share this solution for sloppy steering. A fix for the ackerman plate, center link or bell cranks. No matter what you call it, the slop that develops here makes repeating toe adjustments impossible.

I just ordered a set and I will be doing a review once I get them.

These will fit the MIP Pro8, Losi Ten SCTE V1, Losi Ten Nitro and Team Losi Racing SCTE 2.0

Vision Racing is the first to bring this product to market and you can order them now.

http://www.vision-racing.net/

By using these plates and the MIP steering links you can eliminate about 99% of the free play in the steering.

I have been waiting for someone to offer this for the SCTE platform for 3 years. Long over due for such a popular rig.

Last edited by Thunder Trail; 03-23-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Thunder Trail is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM
  #6410  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
kingofcool999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 458
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Delete.

Last edited by kingofcool999; 03-23-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Should have read the previous posts closer...
kingofcool999 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM
  #6411  
Tech Master
iTrader: (29)
 
maddog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Mclogo View Post
Hi BSCFlash,
regarding the Orions... do you mean motors or esc?

As we had some guys at the track that had issues with motors (but not excessive heat), mostly bearings etc.

The R10 pro however did fail for some guys with the 4600kv VST2 4 pole... it works flawless with the Hobbywing V3.1 however. Which is kind of strange, since the esc are pretty much the same... guess the firmware/setting isn't.
We have had 2 R10 pros 160 amp models go bad for whatever reason and mine only had 4 race days on it. We have not tried their motors yet, pretty happy with the thunderpower so far.

Last edited by maddog9; 03-21-2014 at 09:46 AM.
maddog9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM
  #6412  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Mclogo View Post
Hi BSCFlash,
regarding the Orions... do you mean motors or esc?

As we had some guys at the track that had issues with motors (but not excessive heat), mostly bearings etc.

The R10 pro however did fail for some guys with the 4600kv VST2 4 pole... it works flawless with the Hobbywing V3.1 however. Which is kind of strange, since the esc are pretty much the same... guess the firmware/setting isn't.
Unexplained mystery why myself and Maddog blew up brand new Orion ESCs at the same time. We have new ones in, and no issues since. The Orion ESC works incredibly well with the 2-pole. Maddog is MUCH faster with this combination than he was with a Tekin ESC and a 4-pole, as is MonsterSummit. These guys DOMINATE the local scene with this combination.
BSCFlash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
  #6413  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NKY
Posts: 1
Default

Originally Posted by BSCFlash View Post
Unexplained mystery why myself and Maddog blew up brand new Orion ESCs at the same time. We have new ones in, and no issues since. The Orion ESC works incredibly well with the 2-pole. Maddog is MUCH faster with this combination than he was with a Tekin ESC and a 4-pole, as is MonsterSummit. These guys DOMINATE the local scene with this combination.
I have been running the R10 Pro since the SCTE 2.0 came out and the only problems I have had with the speedo are the stock fan and it not liking some 4-pole motors.

BSCFlash I know how you feel about not being able to keep up with Maddog, have yet to beat him myself

Last edited by e4601; 03-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
e4601 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 AM
  #6414  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (34)
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,845
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BSCFlash View Post
Casper, I like the Tekin/Tekin setup as mentioned in my signature (I have BOTH combinations, as my signature shows). But for the 2-pole, we tested everything possible with the Orion and the RX8. As MS mentioned, the settings on the Orion give us the top end we want with the 12 gearing. Maddog and MS dominate the local scene with this combination.

With the RX8, though, we just can't it from "feeling like a turd" with the 2-pole. We even called Tekin to get their settings--and as Maddog mentioned, but it just didn't compare with the Orion, performance wise.

Please give us any secrets you know of in regards to the RX8 settings. Would love to hear from Randy Pike if he's sees this thread as well. My only beef with the Orion is that we've blown up three of these darn things! The RX8 seems to be bulletproof, though.

P.S. ... we love your grease!
It has been a long time since playing with a 2 pole motor so not sure what issues you are having with that. One of the team drivers was switching between the Orion and Tekin speedo's and running TP 2 pole motors for a long time. His truck was always a rocket but they had fans all over the place to manage heat. all this being said he did like the feel of the orion but the power of the tekin. Did not work with him a lot on getting settings all squared away as he switched back and forth a lot and now runs full orion gear (went from Thunder power to orion sponsors).

All this being said the latest generation software paired with some of the older 2 pole setups should get you a pretty good starting point. Feeling like a turd is not a good starting point on what you are looking for? Is it lacking bottom end, top end, smoothness? Throttle response or brake feel? What exactly does a turd feel like?

Also always great to hear feedback on the casper-rc products! Thanks.
Casper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 PM
  #6415  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: athens,al
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Endpoint question

I know how to properly set steering end points. My end points always vary a good bit from left to right on my Tx. My right end point is 120% and left end point is 78%, but I have the same amount of steering throw. I have similar results in my 8ight 3.0. Is this normal? Can I adjust something to make it more even.
skyler hays is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:08 PM
  #6416  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (153)
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,420
Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skyler hays View Post
I know how to properly set steering end points. My end points always vary a good bit from left to right on my Tx. My right end point is 120% and left end point is 78%, but I have the same amount of steering throw. I have similar results in my 8ight 3.0. Is this normal? Can I adjust something to make it more even.
You will get the endpoints closer together if you do two things:

1) Make sure the servo horn center axis (between outer pivot and center of output shaft) is parallel to the servo saver center axis (from servo saver pivot to rod end center on the end of the servo saver arm). I use a turnbuckle instead of a threaded rod so I have better control over the length of the link.

2) Have the servo trim and subtrim as close to zero as possible when the steering is centered. This frequently requires trial and error matching of the insert and the servo horn and is more difficult to achieve if you use a metal horn because you can't fiddle with the relationship of the splines as you can with the inserts in the Losi servo horn.
ta_man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:54 AM
  #6417  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
JEFFs SC10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlandooooo, Fl
Posts: 3,942
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

I run a HobbyWing SCT Pro with the 4700 and I really like the combo, it's smooth and more powerful than the Tekin 4600/RX8 combo I used to run.
JEFFs SC10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:31 AM
  #6418  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (28)
 
F>T>R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Clarksville,TN
Posts: 689
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default ???

Im having a glitch problem after making about two or three laps?? Here's my setup - trl 2.0, tekin 4600kv, mmp esc (with bec) savox 1258, futaba rx & radio..

Not sure if I needs a glitch buster or if I need to change something in esc??? Any help??
F>T>R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 AM
  #6419  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 109
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

hey all just wondering do they make adjustable sway bars for the 2.0.
and if not is everyone running the losi ones.
also getting ready for outdoors im new to the truck witch diff rebuilds should I be buying.
is there an option.
thanks
mike
68sportcoup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 AM
  #6420  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10
Default Indoor clay help!

So I'm fairly new to Scte but not indoor clay. I recently acquired a Ten-Scte 4x4 w the TLR tuning kit and 2.0 upgrades. The problem I'm having is it seems to dive in corners and the inside rear tire lifts then it spins out. I'm running 30wt rear and 35wt front. Blue springs front red in rear. Black sway bars f/r. Shock position front is inside top inside bottom. Rear is mid top inside bottom.
It's seems to have too much body roll. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Bitties5Deuce is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service