Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridered4life250
OK so I am putting together my brand new $500 kit (and I mention price because of how ripped off I feel) and am encountering some issues. And before I rant, you should know that I have an enginerring degree, race motocross every other weekend (Transworld MX - Muscle Milk Series) and have been building kits since I was 10. What I am getting at is that I know how to building / work on anything mechanical.

1) Was assembling the diff outdrives / covers and the bearings wont slide on the. They are so tight, I had to use a bearing punch to gently tap them on to the diff halfs. I am...ok with this, as this means that the tolerances are very tight. It still should be addressed by losi.

2) DIff screws (holding the ring gear on) are a freaking joke. As previously suggested in this thread, I was careful with them. NOPEEE. No bad. I loose. 2 stripped screws and 5 hours of carefully drilling them out. I finally went and bought the HPI z449 m2.5x12 screws and what do you know...they worked perfect. BTW, I am using MIP tools. Very expensive...very good.
HEY LOSI! Why dont you quit being cheap a-holes and use good quality screws on parts that are as incredibly vital as the diffs? I dunno, just a thought.

3) I put the diff into the diff housing and sure enough, the diff binds. From what I can tell, the 2 diff housing pieces arent big enough on the flang / the bearing races are too tight. What this means is that when I use the 4 screws to secure the housing halfs together, it squeezes the bearings so tight that they bind. See below.

4) Holy freaking god the directions are horrible. How do I know whether to use a stainless or regular screw? The directions sure dont say anything. Also, PICK ONE FREAKING UNIT SYSTEM AND STICK WITH IT!! Losi goes between metric and SAE measurements and bolt sizes like every other freaking page. What is going on here guys!?!?

I hate to say it but this will most likely be my last Losi kit. I have owned upwards of 35 Associated kits and never bought losi. I am now sad that I ever strayed from Associated.
1. Yes you have to press the bearings onto the diff halves. this is common.

2. Maybe it is because I use a hitachi drill with MIP speed tips so I don't have the wobble you get from hand screwing in the diff screws but I have yet to strip a stock screw. We know it has been an issue but many of us have not experienced it. Glad the HPI ones worked for you.

3. I have never had an issue with the diff binding in the housings. This is a new one to me. The diff cases are have been around for quite a while now and this has not been a common issue. I would contact Horizon CS and I am sure they would be happy to send out a new set of housings if there is an issue with the set you got but again having read the majority of posts on the 1.0 and 2.0 thread you have found a new issue.

4. I am not aware of a metric screw on this car. The mass majority of the car is 5-40 screws same to the eight line of vehciles. There are some 8-32 for holding the diffs to the chassis and some 4-40 stuff (small set screws sway bars but yes this car is standard and there are quite a few different screws in the kit which is right no par with any 8ight scale you will ever build. You will need 3/32, 5/64(2mm), 1/16 (this is the tip I use for the diff screws are you using a 1.5mm?) and .050 tools for building this car.

The SCTE was based off the Ten series of cars which started off as not being desinged for racing. The 2.0 fixed quite a few issues with the 1.0 as far as fit and finish of the diffs and some other things. Without a complete retooling of the car we are stuck with the 5-40 screw style of this car but if you own an 8ight series of cars this shares it's layout and hardware with it's big brother. If/when TLR develops a ground up platform again for these two cars I would expect to see them go Metric at that time but due to the heritage of the cars we are stuck with the 5-40 hardwar for now.

The SCTE build was good for most. I am sorry you have struggled with some parts.

The manual is a compromise as it is designed for internatonal (multilingual) use so there really are not many words included due to translation into many languages. Bulding the kit really is not much different then building a lego set many of us have done for many years as kids though. Those just show pictures and can do many steps in each picture as well.

There is an entire community here to help was well as a few company reps that will help you out anyway we can. Once you get the kit together I feel strongly you will feel these small issue were worth it as the SCTE is an extremely fun car to drive and very fast and consistant around the track.

Here is a great article to read before you continue with your build.

http://losiracing.blogspot.com/2013/...uild-tips.html

If there is anything else we can help with let us know but the binding front diff is a new thing as far as I have seen.

Make sure you put in the upper screws and the lower two cap head screws into the case.

Some have found where the diff may rub just slightly inside the diff case. This is not always there but has been noted.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for answering Casper. I am just so bummed because I was so excited about this kit. How often are you at OCRC? I was going to head there this Saturday for practice. You think you'll be there? Maybe you can point out how I'm doing this diff wrong?
I like kits that require a bit of fine tuning because that means tolerances are tight which keeps the slack away for a while. I'm really not down on Losi or anything but this has put a bad taste in my mouth
Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Casper, have any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Errokk
I have a 2.0 and I'm having trouble with the cva's getting ripped apart. I have been running on a very high bite felt track that is going to dirt in the next week or 2. Been running an rx8 with a pro4 hd 4300 and just switched over to a mmp with a hw 4700 and still snapping cva's. Any recommendations? Are the m6 tekno axle sets worth the $85, or will I still be ripping them apart? Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated. Thanks.
Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

LOVE MY SCTE 2.0
Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for answering Casper. I am just so bummed because I was so excited about this kit. How often are you at OCRC? I was going to head there this Saturday for practice. You think you'll be there? Maybe you can point out how I'm doing this diff wrong?
I like kits that require a bit of fine tuning because that means tolerances are tight which keeps the slack away for a while. I'm really not down on Losi or anything but this has put a bad taste in my mouth

don't get discouraged bro, the scte 2.0 is the best SCT out there.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

I have a 2.0 and I'm having trouble with the cva's getting ripped apart. I have been running on a very high bite felt track that is going to dirt in the next week or 2. Been running an rx8 with a pro4 hd 4300 and just switched over to a mmp with a hw 4700 and still snapping cva's. Any recommendations? Are the m6 tekno axle sets worth the $85, or will I still be ripping them apart? Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated. Thanks.
Errokk,I have run both a 1.0 and 2.0 on small, high grip carpet tracks and the traction that is availables, and the fact we can rip on the throttle so hard on that surface will definately speed up wear but I have not experienced failures of the shafts.
Perhaps your track is bigger and faster? The pro4 had 4300 is a torque monster and could have helped especially if you are hard on the throttle on landings.

You should see much reduced wear/breakage once your track switches over to dirt as I seem to be able to go a full season on a set of shafts.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Casper or anyone else, I have a shock question.

I have no problem getting zero rebound. My issue is the piston being pulled back up when its extended. This really came to light on my 22-4. Setup should be 19", but I can't get more than 15'. My piston goes back up 3/4 of the way.

No youtube video addresses how to prevent the vacuum action of the piston, just no rebound.

Now I know why I'm bottoming out after jumps.

Everyone, try pulling your piston down and see for yourself how far your piston travels back up. I gave a pistons to 4 different people at my track. All pistons travelled up over 1/2 way.

I hope Team Losi will make a new shock rebuild video that will address how to prevent the vacuum action of the piston while making a zero rebound shock.

AND FAST…...
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by braderb
Casper or anyone else, I have a shock question.

I have no problem getting zero rebound. My issue is the piston being pulled back up when its extended. This really came to light on my 22-4. Setup should be 19", but I can't get more than 15'. My piston goes back up 3/4 of the way.

No youtube video addresses how to prevent the vacuum action of the piston, just no rebound.

Now I know why I'm bottoming out after jumps.

Everyone, try pulling your piston down and see for yourself how far your piston travels back up. I gave a pistons to 4 different people at my track. All pistons travelled up over 1/2 way.

I hope Team Losi will make a new shock rebuild video that will address how to prevent the vacuum action of the piston while making a zero rebound shock.

AND FAST…...
I think it's a non issue as any aeration shock will do this. There is always going to be a little suction at full extension.
Your oil/piston package is what absorbs the jump landings and bottoming out on the biggest jumps is normal. If the suspension was set with thick enough damping and pack to avoid bottoming out you would be losing grip on all the small bumps around the rest of the track.
If your setup is too soft and bottoming severely then try upping the oil 5wt or going to the next hole smaller pistons.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drepus
Errokk,I have run both a 1.0 and 2.0 on small, high grip carpet tracks and the traction that is availables, and the fact we can rip on the throttle so hard on that surface will definately speed up wear but I have not experienced failures of the shafts.
Perhaps your track is bigger and faster? The pro4 had 4300 is a torque monster and could have helped especially if you are hard on the throttle on landings.

You should see much reduced wear/breakage once your track switches over to dirt as I seem to be able to go a full season on a set of shafts.
Thanks for the encouragement! I love the the truck but I have been through several shafts and yes, I usually am heavy on the trigger lol. It began its life as a 1.0 but thru upgrades its receintly made its way to a 2.0. The dirt will undoubtedly relieve stress on the drive train. The track is currently 40x80 and soon will be 50x100.
Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement! I love the the truck but I have been through several shafts and yes, I usually am heavy on the trigger lol. It began its life as a 1.0 but thru upgrades its receintly made its way to a 2.0. The dirt will undoubtedly relieve stress on the drive train. The track is currently 40x80 and soon will be 50x100.
Thanks again.
Hi Errok, I've ripped a shaft on my first day out on carpet... guess it was the backside of the large jump where I accelerate hard as soon as it makes ground contact. I did straight away order the full M6 Tekno set but have not swapped it so far. I did not brake anything during the first carpet race, but there are also only small jumps there with no section where you "hit flank speed" after straight away after landing.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks again.
Glad to offer the encouragement! This truck is so fun to drive that i like to help when I hear someone struggling.
As a tip for high high grip situations or when you have way more power then the tires can handle try turning down the current limiter in the rx8 till you notice a slight reduction in acceleration. Then go back up 1 or 2 higher on the setting. That way if you have a "heavy" throttle finger at least you are not dramatically overpowering the drivetrain. This will reduce wear on everything and reduce heat in the motor and almost always lead to smoother/lower lap times.
Since your track is going to dirt you will need to change your setup. Try Caspers latest setup on his site.
Have fun playing in the dirt.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

OK so I am putting together my brand new $500 kit (and I mention price because of how ripped off I feel) and am encountering some issues. And before I rant, you should know that I have an enginerring degree, race motocross every other weekend (Transworld MX - Muscle Milk Series) and have been building kits since I was 10. What I am getting at is that I know how to building / work on anything mechanical.

I hate to say it but this will most likely be my last Losi kit. I have owned upwards of 35 Associated kits and never bought losi. I am now sad that I ever strayed from Associated.
Give me small break. I've built about 10 AE kits and nearly every one had a problem. Missing parts, defective parts, etc. My last kit, the RC8.2e had 2 warped gear boxes and two warped caster blocks that had to be replaced. So, spare me the AE worship.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
Give me small break. I've built about 10 AE kits and nearly every one had a problem. Missing parts, defective parts, etc. My last kit, the RC8.2e had 2 warped gear boxes and two warped caster blocks that had to be replaced. So, spare me the AE worship.
+1. IMO, the newer associated kits have been a step down in quality/fit/finish from the stuff they were producing about 10 years ago.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hello!

I have an SCTE 2.0 and I am very happy with it!
I recently bought a Axial Exo Terra, and the shocks that came with it are pretty bad and I would like to replace them.

I tested my SCTE 2.0 shocks on it and it works perfectly.
I would like to buy the same shocks but I cannot find them on Amain, is it not possible to buy the entire shocks?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CookieFlow
Hello!

I have an SCTE 2.0 and I am very happy with it!
I recently bought a Axial Exo Terra, and the shocks that came with it are pretty bad and I would like to replace them.

I tested my SCTE 2.0 shocks on it and it works perfectly.
I would like to buy the same shocks but I cannot find them on Amain, is it not possible to buy the entire shocks?

Thanks!
There are some on ebay for about $50 for 4 complete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.