Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenexcelon
To be clear, specifically the automatic switching.
ok, Eddomak has ya covered on that but if you want some good info here is the HW thread
Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Appreciate all the help guys. One more question... Would it be beneficial to go with the Castle then or is it really not an advantage that matters?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by eddomak
The SCT Pro automatically switches from sensored to sensorless mode in the event there is a problem detecting the sensor signal (eg broken wire, loose plug etc), and it is instantaneous.

It doesn't support what Castle calls SMART Sense, which is starting up in sensored mode at low speeds, then switching to sensorless mode for high speeds, then switching back again.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Appreciate all the help guys. One more question... Would it be beneficial to go with the Castle then or is it really not an advantage that matters?

Thanks again!
The SCT pro is the way to go. I'm assuming you're talking about the mamba max pro? If so the only advantage it has over the Hobbywing is it can run on 6s. Every other category the hw is better.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks again!
Even though I have a soft spot for the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro, I wouldn't recommend it for this application, mainly because it's BEC is too weak for the high torque servos you will be running. This often (not always) results in brown-outs, steering & ESC glitches, loss of signal etc. After that frustration then you'll want to install a capacitor or an external BEC - more wiring and soldering etc. The MMP on factory settings also tends to not give you not as much thrust up front, then gives you plenty all of a sudden. You can customise your own throttle curve using the software, but that will involve experimentation. This is my personal experience, and also shared by one of my mates on the RTR that I am helping with - we swap cars regularly at the track.

The SCT Pro is generally smoother out of the box. The BEC is strong (no more capacitor or external BEC). The fine-grained tuning options are fewer than the MMP, but then again I haven't needed them. It's chunkier and heavier, but nothing to worry about unless you want an ESC that you can re-use in a 1:10 buggy or other applications.

The other neat feature about the SCT Pro is that you plug the program box straight into the ESC at the fan port - there is no need to get into the receiver box and unplug the ESC plug from there and put in into the program card (like most other ESCs).

If you are intent on buying an MMP, then you can probably save yourself some money by going with the Losi re-branded one that is in the SCTE RTR (part #LOSB9504). They are often around $10-$20 cheaper.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks tons guys. I'll be ordering a SCT-Pro combo soon and sell the motor or use it later to ugprade my Traxxas Slash to get more bashing fun out of it.

Appreciate everyone's feedback!

Originally Posted by eddomak
Even though I have a soft spot for the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro, I wouldn't recommend it for this application, mainly because it's BEC is too weak for the high torque servos you will be running. This often (not always) results in brown-outs, steering & ESC glitches, loss of signal etc. After that frustration then you'll want to install a capacitor or an external BEC - more wiring and soldering etc. The MMP on factory settings also tends to not give you not as much thrust up front, then gives you plenty all of a sudden. You can customise your own throttle curve using the software, but that will involve experimentation. This is my personal experience, and also shared by one of my mates on the RTR that I am helping with - we swap cars regularly at the track.

The SCT Pro is generally smoother out of the box. The BEC is strong (no more capacitor or external BEC). The fine-grained tuning options are fewer than the MMP, but then again I haven't needed them. It's chunkier and heavier, but nothing to worry about unless you want an ESC that you can re-use in a 1:10 buggy or other applications.

The other neat feature about the SCT Pro is that you plug the program box straight into the ESC at the fan port - there is no need to get into the receiver box and unplug the ESC plug from there and put in into the program card (like most other ESCs).

If you are intent on buying an MMP, then you can probably save yourself some money by going with the Losi re-branded one that is in the SCTE RTR (part #LOSB9504). They are often around $10-$20 cheaper.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks tons guys. I'll be ordering a SCT-Pro combo soon and sell the motor or use it later to ugprade my Traxxas Slash to get more bashing fun out of it.

I have a month-old Tekin RX8 Gen 2 with a Tekin 4300 HD motor all wired and ready to go if you may be interested (PM me if you are interested). This will save a great deal of money, and will get you the same electronics Casper and Ryan use.

Last edited by BSCFlash; 10-17-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BSCFlash
I have a month-old Tekin RX8 Gen 2 with a Tekin 4300 HD motor all wired and ready to go if you may be interested (PM me if you are interested). This will save a great deal of money, and will get you the same electronics Casper and Ryan use.
PM sent BSCFlash...
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Great new product for you guys to try for all your metal to metal interfaces.

http://casper-rc.com/Extreme_Grease.htm

Check it out
Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Casper can you help me understand my gearing question I asked a few pages back? The Losi manual says if I'm running a 9.5T motor...which I am (Tekin Gen 2 with Gen 2 RS speedo) why the 23/78 gearing is so much different than your gearing with the 9.5T motor?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jokermayhem
Hey Casper can you help me understand my gearing question I asked a few pages back? The Losi manual says if I'm running a 9.5T motor...which I am (Tekin Gen 2 with Gen 2 RS speedo) why the 23/78 gearing is so much different than your gearing with the 9.5T motor?
Wrong thread but I answered it on the 22 thread.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I dont know why you wouldnt run that brand new HW 4700 motor that comes with your new comobo , and keep that used 540 motor for something down the road. The sct pro combo has been the best money I have spent on my scte to date. I had a max pro and a pro 4 , and a Viper copperhead system, then the HW . I should have bought it from the start.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello,

I know this might have been asked before, but the thread is about 365 pages long...

Did someone figure a way to install the bottom shock caps without using a pair of vise grip pliers???

Mine were very hard to screw....
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Maxime
Hello,

I know this might have been asked before, but the thread is about 365 pages long...

Did someone figure a way to install the bottom shock caps without using a pair of vise grip pliers???

Mine were very hard to screw....
Contact Horizon Hobby and have them send you the new style caps for free - no questions asked. They are great to work with.

Horizon Hobby, Inc.
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822

Main Phone: (217) 352-1913
Toll-Free: (800) 338-4639
Support Phone: (877) 504-0233
Sales Phone: (800) 338-4639
Fax: (217) 355-1552
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if the bottom caps that comes with the kit that includes plastic shock tops, spring retainers, shock bottom eyelets etc. contains the new or old caps? I just bought this parts bag from the LHS and would like to make sure I'm not going to install the same defective caps...

I sent a message to Horizon.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Most likely they are the same tight ones. If you call Horizon they will send you a pack that has just the four new caps.
I did the same thing. I called Horizon before they new about this problem and they sent me that pack with the plastic top caps and plastic retaining rings and spring perches. They were also the small caps.
They have it figured out now so you will just get the four good bottom caps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.