TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

nvm lol
Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Join date and number of posts does not always equate to experience. Maybe a user has to create a new profile, for what ever reason. Maybe someone just observes and does not comment. Maybe a long time RC enthusiast just stumbled upon this forum.

On the other hand, there are plenty of members with hundreds of posts that make a comment about everything, reply to almost every single post, and have nothing useful to say. Bunch of gibberish...

The team folks here are great. Lot of great advice mixed in with just a hair of marketing. It's all good.

Like my SCTE. If I had more time, I would have every single SCT out there.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by A2Racing
To add a positive comment to this thread

I own both the TLR SCTE 2.0 and the Tekno SCT410.3, they are both awesome trucks. You can definitely win with either and my lap times are almost identical in either truck. I mentioned to another racer, one is like a deer and the other is like a bull; however, they both get around the track super fast and either one can get you on the podium.
I to have both trucks. The losi is a great truck not denying that. I have just found that the new tekno is better. It is more stable, has more rear traction and more steering. In the hands of a capable driver you can win with either truck. The tekno has made me a better racer and got me my first win in the pro4 class. Against some very good drivers in a big race. Maybe the truck just fits my driving style better.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r
Join date and number of posts does not always equate to experience.
It's nice to see someone who understands this for a change.

I feel like my bringing up the shocks deal has gotten outa hand in a way that people assume I was bashing on the Losi. That is not the case.
I just personally want to explore other options for the shocks and feel since there are entire threads in regards to it, it may have been a easily viable and good marketing move if Losi would peace together a set for such experimenters.
All that would be needed are shorter shafts, or taller mounts and a larger radius cap pivot/bushing.
I didn't figure I would feel so much resistance in stating what I see as something viable for me to spend my money on.

Anyhow I understand it's not that the originals won't win a race by any means and I never once stated they wouldn't.
As a matter of fact I set the track record fastest lap by over a half second with my 12mm shocks this past weekend.
Mine did leak unfortunately until I loaded them down with green slime as a patch fix, so far so good.
All this may have been bad luck with mine having the loose o-ring batch "Hacker" mentioned. Only one totally blew out the seal on the left rear. The right rear only leaked slightly. The fronts weren't so bad, but did have slight over bleed down the shafts.
One of our home tracks is still pretty new and still a dust bowl as it's getting worn in. I realize dust is hard on shocks, but I have only ran roughly 30 full laps on it before I had problems. But with that being said, a couple of people have recently bought the Tekno 410.3, and I gotta tell ya, they are really sticky without much setup and not one single shock problem.
They are heavier than the losi to, "at least mine" and it has become a real chore running them down. I have seen people go as far as to add weight to their other brand trucks in attempt to gain some traction at this place.
If some of you had the chance to actually run the tracks I frequent, it might behoove some of you to reconsider that weight is not always your enemy when it comes to final traction, all fallacies aside... I see what I see.

Last edited by Josh L; 07-30-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
It's nice to see someone who understands this for a change.

I feel like my bringing up the shocks deal has gotten outa hand in a way that people assume I was bashing on the Losi. That is not the case.
I just personally want to explore other options for the shocks and feel since there are entire threads in regards to it, it may have been a easily viable and good marketing move if Losi would peace together a set for such experimenters.
All that would be needed are shorter shafts, or taller mounts and a larger radius cap pivot/bushing.
I didn't figure I would feel so much resistance in stating what I see as something viable for me to spend my money on.

Anyhow I understand it's not that the originals won't win a race by any means and I never once stated they wouldn't.
As a matter of fact I set the track record fastest lap by over a half second with my 12mm shocks this past weekend.
Mine did leak unfortunately until I loaded them down with green slime as a patch fix, so far so good.
All this may have been bad luck with mine having the loose o-ring batch "Hacker" mentioned. Only one totally blew out the seal on the left rear. The right rear only leaked slightly. The fronts weren't so bad, but did have slight over bleed down the shafts.
One of our home tracks is still pretty new and still a dust bowl as it's getting worn in. I realize dust is hard on shocks, but I have only ran roughly 30 full laps on it before I had problems. But with that being said, a couple of people have recently bought the Tekno 410.3, and I gotta tell ya, they are really sticky without much setup and not one single shock problem.
They are heavier than the losi to, "at least mine" and it has become a real chore running them down. I have seen people go as far as to add weight to their other brand trucks in attempt to gain some traction at this place.
If some of you had the chance to actually run the tracks I frequent, it might behoove some of you to reconsider that weight is not always your enemy when it comes to final traction, all fallacies aside... I see what I see.
I hear you and I understand what you are saying but still disagree with you based off experiences I have had testing the truck, that a heavier larger shock is better. Taking weight from up top helps this truck and it is noticeable in the handling.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Casper
I hear you and I understand what you are saying but still disagree with you based off experiences I have had testing the truck, that a heavier larger shock is better. Taking weight from up top helps this truck and it is noticeable in the handling.
I accept your conclusions based on vertical CG and can confirm it to an extent.
I decided to mount a gopro to the body one day. The chassis roll was over the top and made driving it exponentially more difficult. So I understand where your coming from.
I know your a well known pro. And I haven't any doubt you know what your talking about. But like I stated before, I like to tinker and the tracks we run on around here are no where close to the quality you most likely frequent in the WC. This is why I was questioning the inverted big bore shock idea.
Inverted shouldn't add much if any vertical GC imbalance.
RCGOD stated it would cause added unsprung weight, which I also agree with.
But to what effect is what I want to know, and to what degree can possible CG or unsprung weight can be negated through the swaybar tuning.
These are all things I want to know so I am going to be hard headed enough to have to try.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 AM
Tech Prophet

I accept your conclusions based on vertical CG and can confirm it to an extent.
I decided to mount a gopro to the body one day. The chassis roll was over the top and made driving it exponentially more difficult. So I understand where your coming from.
I know your a well known pro. And I haven't any doubt you know what your talking about. But like I stated before, I like to tinker and the tracks we run on around here are no where close to the quality you most likely frequent in the WC. This is why I was questioning the inverted big bore shock idea.
Inverted shouldn't add much if any vertical GC imbalance.
RCGOD stated it would cause added unsprung weight, which I also agree with.
But to what effect is what I want to know, and to what degree can possible CG or unsprung weight can be negated through the swaybar tuning.
These are all things I want to know so I am going to be hard headed enough to have to try.
Yes you can tune around the effects of the unsprung weight. The 8th scale guys had a period where they played with this with inserts in the spindles.

It will be interesting to hear what you find. I have seen upside down shocks tried a LONG time ago and it never caught on.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A few years back when we raced the Custom Works Sprint cars, we ran a mod class and I personally had a Novak 4.5 motors. And I know it is oval versus off road but shocks and weight are the same in either except for the jumps, track we ran on was a nice well groomed high bight track that had some pretty good banking in the corners and slight banking in the straights. And we ran foam tires. To me I am like Josh I am always looking at stuff and tinkering, I always felt that the sprints we were running were always to lite for the power we had in the motors, and felt more vehicle weight and the placement of that weight would help the handling of them thus making a heavier car faster than a lite car, I got out if it because of personal issues with the club prez before I got real far into testing my theories, and with that being said that could explain why the other truck seems more planted and handles better is because of the added weight is allowing the vehicle to act more like a real car/truck and actually utilizing the shocks, and sway bars as intended. Just my 2.5 cents (inflation) but it may be an explanation rather than the actual shock sizes themselves.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Braxamus
A few years back....
I think it may be true, but it's a tough concept for some to swallow after spending heaps of cash on weight reducing parts and upgrades, but I have to agree, weight seems to make a significant difference in our track's case, as the heavier trucks tend to stay put when the light one's fly off the track randomly. Some may argue it's all driver, but I don't think so. One of the best drivers at our club was running an Associated, then switched to the tekno and he has been blistering his old times on the same tires and motor. Either the associate is that bad, or it's some simple explanations as to why it's such a difference. I have also heard people state being into the track more instead of on top of it. Thats an interesting thing to say I thought.
Anyhow In saying what I did, there is no arguing a light vehicle has less parasitic loss and will ultimately be more efficient, but if your not killing your batteries by the end of the race, it really doesn't seem to hurt anything past using a bit more juice and a slight heat gain to have a little fat.
But like Casper and others have said, and I do agree with fully, messing with the vertical CG can make or break a stable platform.

This should be a fun thing to dive into. I can't wait to get the parts I need and do some write ups of my finds.
I will not be biased. If it deters my performance, I will be honest about it.
But I really don't think its going to go that way for what I run on.
We shall see.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Braxamus
A few years back when we raced the Custom Works Sprint cars, we ran a mod class and I personally had a Novak 4.5 motors. And I know it is oval versus off road but shocks and weight are the same in either except for the jumps, track we ran on was a nice well groomed high bight track that had some pretty good banking in the corners and slight banking in the straights. And we ran foam tires. To me I am like Josh I am always looking at stuff and tinkering, I always felt that the sprints we were running were always to lite for the power we had in the motors, and felt more vehicle weight and the placement of that weight would help the handling of them thus making a heavier car faster than a lite car, I got out if it because of personal issues with the club prez before I got real far into testing my theories, and with that being said that could explain why the other truck seems more planted and handles better is because of the added weight is allowing the vehicle to act more like a real car/truck and actually utilizing the shocks, and sway bars as intended. Just my 2.5 cents (inflation) but it may be an explanation rather than the actual shock sizes themselves.
DODC actually raised the minimum weight limit in all dirt oval classes. That way people aren't pushed to weaken parts, and they can add the weight where the chassis needs it. The Pemberton Raceworks cars accept the same tungsten weight kits that the Pemberton carpet cars use. Its very nice, and makes chassis balancing really easy.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Prophet

One of the best drivers at our club was running an Associated, then switched to the tekno and he has been blistering his old times on the same tires and motor.
Dude there is someone still running the AE 4X4? Sorry but no doubt he is faster with the Tekno. Just going to leave it at that.

I am looking forward to seeing what you find out as well.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Casper
Dude there is someone still running the AE 4X4? Sorry but no doubt he is faster with the Tekno. Just going to leave it at that.

I am looking forward to seeing what you find out as well.
Ha, yeah I actually thought about that when I typed it and sorta laughed a bit at the comparison, but honestly he did pretty well with it while he did have it and he is just one of those AE purist that is finally coming to grips with an alternate chassis. I guess the tekno was less shameful than messing with the arch nemesis "Losi", so thats what he went with!

After the race when he was done with his tekno I did talk him into trying out my losi for a lap however, and he majorly over controlled it and rolled it over the lip of the first turn. lol
But once he got a handle on the way I have it setup and made a few quick laps, I could tell by the way he was looking at me that it was more than he expected. He just stated "it's fast" and how I prolly shouldn't have so much steering response set in there and that it had more acceleration than he preferred and handed it back. lol I found out he doesn't run expo on his setups and just adjusted the on-board ESC timing, punch and end points, so the curve was probably less linear than what he was used to.
His new tekno has a tekin hd setup and a savox servo while my scte has a hobbywing 4700, the sct-pro esc. with a futaba 9352HV servo.
Unbelievably my hobbywing setup seems to be the quickest in the pack.
He is just a better driver and beats me with consistency for the most part, but like I said earlier I set the track record with my 4th lap at more than a half second with the 2.0...
I haven't personally driven the tekno, but from what I have seen so far the losi hangs right with it when I don't douche up.

Last edited by Josh L; 08-01-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 4s losi
I to have both trucks. The losi is a great truck not denying that. I have just found that the new tekno is better. It is more stable, has more rear traction and more steering. In the hands of a capable driver you can win with either truck. The tekno has made me a better racer and got me my first win in the pro4 class. Against some very good drivers in a big race. Maybe the truck just fits my driving style better.
BINGO!!!!!
We have a winner. Driving Style is something most people never even consider.
Not only thru differing brands but with differing set ups within the same brand. It will feel different to everyone.
One set up and one truck will feel better to You. Some that drive multiple tracks will notice one being better at that track over the other.
So the desire to have both trucks is a valid one.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default SC 4x4 suitable battery

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question about SC 4x4 running on 7.4v 2S.

A few guys at our track are running the Losi 4x4 SC truck but are have trouble with their batteries swelling after 6-7 minutes?

2 trucks are running HW 4000kv/SC8 combos (15t-16T) and one is running HW 4700kv/SCT pro. (14t),,, and the other a 4000kv/SCT pro (15T).

Batteries that have been used are 7000mah 60C gold Gensace (swell after just a few races) and also tried Nvision 7200mah 90C i believe, has done the same thing?

They have talked about running 3S with 3400kv motor and gearing it a little slower to reduce draw on the battery, may try the orion 4600mah 3S 90C battery... do many people run 3S in a race environment? whats the rules for SC 4x4 and battery voltage, having trouble finding info.

Any help appreciated.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I personally run Pro Match 6500 70c and a 15T pinion and have no trouble at all and I do not remember seeing anyone in Pro4 running 3S and no one has any issues at all. the track is a high bite well maintained indoors track and is on the large side for being indoors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.