R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 04-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #8176
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
A Big thanks to Ryan Dunford's latest OCRC setup!!
We just wrapped up our winter points series. After putting this setup on my truck it really came alive, I was able to drive much harder and faster, consistently running at the front of the pack. The points came down to the last race, me and another guy were tied going into the night, & I took the race win to secure the points. If it weren't for a few racer errors (wheel falling off one week, running a storage charged pack the next) I would have had it wrapped up sooner.
I am just glad to hear it worked out, and sounds like you had fun which is what really matters!
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #8177
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My truck handles pretty good, Im happy with it, now if I could just figure out WTF the driver is doing I think it would be fast.
Braxamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #8178
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsDrake77 View Post
Buddies truck has a clicking noise doesn't change on or off eceleration
Where should he start looking without tearing whole truck down
I had a similar problem due to not shimming the rear diff to mesh quite right with the diff pinion. Had a noticeable bind at one spot as the diff was turned, while the rest of the rotation was free and smooth. Almost like the gears weren't completely true all the way round. But a shim fixed the issue completely. Don't know if that would fix your friend's truck or not, but other than the before mentioned cvd pins
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #8179
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxamus View Post
My truck handles pretty good, Im happy with it, now if I could just figure out WTF the driver is doing I think it would be fast.
Lmao! I'm in the same boat.
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #8180
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Anyone able to do a direct comparison between old and new ring and pinion gears yet? I ordered a set, but they are same as my current 2.0 purchased a year ago. No Taiwan on back of package header card.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #8181
Tech Regular

I think that is going to be something we all have to deal with till the new old stock is out of the system, unless you can go to your local hobby shop and physically go threw the parts yourself you take the chance of getting NOS parts, especially if ordering online. And I think most places if ordering online will push the NOS as orders come in just to get rid of them. and that really sucks for me because I don't have a LHS, and would like to replace and rebuild my diffs. inbetween our indoor seasons.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #8182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
Anyone able to do a direct comparison between old and new ring and pinion gears yet? I ordered a set, but they are same as my current 2.0 purchased a year ago. No Taiwan on back of package header card.
Did you get front or rear? I remember Ryan (hacker07) saying that there was a lot of the old style fronts left in stock but only a few left of the rear. At horizon that is, not sure where you ordered from.
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #8183
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
A Big thanks to Ryan Dunford's latest OCRC setup!!
We just wrapped up our winter points series. After putting this setup on my truck it really came alive, I was able to drive much harder and faster, consistently running at the front of the pack. The points came down to the last race, me and another guy were tied going into the night, & I took the race win to secure the points. If it weren't for a few racer errors (wheel falling off one week, running a storage charged pack the next) I would have had it wrapped up sooner.
Have a link to this setup?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #8184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignishen View Post
Have a link to this setup?
This is the only Dunford OCRC setup I've seen.

http://www.casper-rc.com/images/TEN_...r%20091014.pdf
Old 05-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #8185
Tech Master

It was a front diff set. I seem to go through a ring and pinion every year on the front. Rear last longer. Maybe because I use the metal inserts and shim it perfect. Front might be flexing case? I'll need another set for my second truck soon. Hope to get by long enough to get the updated parts next time. No local shop, so online is all I have access to.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #8186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
It was a front diff set. I seem to go through a ring and pinion every year on the front. Rear last longer. Maybe because I use the metal inserts and shim it perfect. Front might be flexing case? I'll need another set for my second truck soon. Hope to get by long enough to get the updated parts next time. No local shop, so online is all I have access to.
Just of note, the updated ring and pinions are easy to tell also as the ring gear is black instead of metal colored.
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #8187
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
The front wears more because of the additional load it takes during braking.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #8188
Tech Master

I never thought of that. Makes sense. The wt shift and going from throttle to brake being more stress on the front as you are at speed when you hit the brakes. Backlash pressure would be like a small hammer each time. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #8189
Tech Regular

I would almost bet my diffs are trash, as I got the truck used, and ran it this season without ever having them apart. Im still in the learning stages so I prolly owul dnot have know the difference between good and bad as long as they feel smooth and there is no noise. I did re-do th ecenter diff because I put the KH duel barening support on it when I first got it.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #8190
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
I never thought of that. Makes sense. The wt shift and going from throttle to brake being more stress on the front as you are at speed when you hit the brakes. Backlash pressure would be like a small hammer each time. Thanks for sharing that.
Using a high quality grease on gears help them last as well. You can shim the front diff you think that is the issue.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote