R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #8131
Tech Apprentice
 
Fader12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5280 above sea level
Posts: 70
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

For those who buy the new -3mm chassis and who have the MIP pucks center drive with the Kind Headz center diff mounts. Here's a pic of what will have to be ground. Basically take that third leg off. I left a little material just for strength.
I also have the MIP chassis supports which are smaller on the end a bit compared to the stock.
You can also see the rear pucks should have enough room without bottoming out.
Attached Thumbnails
Official TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread-minus-3mm-chassis-mip.jpg   Official TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread-minus-3mm-pucks.jpg   Official TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread-20150425_101003_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Fader12; 04-30-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Update1
Fader12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #8132
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone going lighter than the factory 5k oil in the front diff on any of the winning setup sheets I have seen.
I have even seen 7k in the front and center, but again not lighter than 5k.
It has always seemed the opposite to what you just suggested in my experience. Maybe also the reason for the factory stock suggestion setting the rear diff with lighter oil than the center or front... If the rear diff is effectively locking/resisting equally to the front, you will always notice under steer and get said push effect.
Seems to me going lighter in the rear would be more effective, or raising up the weight on the front and center.
Just because you don't see 3k in front on setups doesn't mean it won't work. You also probably won't see setups with no front sway bar either but it does work. Some things to check on your truck before getting too crazy on changes are:

Make sure you have a good steering servo and tight servo saver. I run mine pretty much locked down because the spring that came with my kit was very weak. Set end points with the truck on the ground at ride height. Make sure the servo saver arm isn't hitting the ackerman link at full throw. My steering link was hitting on my truck, a short spacer between the link and servo saver took care of it. And then there's always the short Ackerman link. It will give the truck all the steering you want but makes it harder to drive. When I ran the mip conversion truck, the only way I could get the steering I wanted was the short link. It works.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #8133
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader12 View Post
For those who have the MIP pucks center drive with the Kind Headz center diff mounts. Here's a pic of what will have to be ground. Basically take that third leg off. I left a little material just for strength.
I also have the MIP chassis supports which are smaller one the end a bit compared to the stock.
You can also see the rear pucks should have enough room without bottoming out.
I have the pucks, chassis supports and king headz stuff and I didn't have to clearance anything.
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #8134
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Just because you don't see 3k in front on setups doesn't mean it won't work. You also probably won't see setups with no front sway bar either but it does work. Some things to check on your truck before getting too crazy on changes are:

Make sure you have a good steering servo and tight servo saver. I run mine pretty much locked down because the spring that came with my kit was very weak. Set end points with the truck on the ground at ride height. Make sure the servo saver arm isn't hitting the ackerman link at full throw. My steering link was hitting on my truck, a short spacer between the link and servo saver took care of it. And then there's always the short Ackerman link. It will give the truck all the steering you want but makes it harder to drive. When I ran the mip conversion truck, the only way I could get the steering I wanted was the short link. It works.
I don't run sway bars front or rear. I think the truck drives way better with out them
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #8135
Tech Addict
 
Dan.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S/W lower Michigan
Posts: 748
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
I have the pucks, chassis supports and king headz stuff and I didn't have to clearance anything.
I believe he is using the new TLR -3mm chassis with those parts, stock length chassis doesn't require any mods to the mount.
__________________
Tekno EB48.3/Tekno EB48SL/Tekno SCT410.3
Dan.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #8136
Tech Apprentice
 
Fader12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5280 above sea level
Posts: 70
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
I have the pucks, chassis supports and king headz stuff and I didn't have to clearance anything.
Sorry...It deleted that part about the new -3mm chassis. If you buy this you will have to break out the dremel.
Fader12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #8137
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Just because you don't see 3k in front on setups doesn't mean it won't work. You also probably won't see setups with no front sway bar either but it does work.
I am pretty sure I never mentioned the sway bars, nor would I argue your point. The setup sheet was just used as a decent example, but if you think I'm gonna buy the fact running lighter oil will help with on power cornering then I guess we are going to have to disagree completely. Doesn't even make since really.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #8138
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
I am pretty sure I never mentioned the sway bars, nor would I argue your point. The setup sheet was just used as a decent example, but if you think I'm gonna buy the fact running lighter oil will help with on power cornering then I guess we are going to have to disagree completely. Doesn't even make since really.
I don't see where the op asked about on power steering. He said his truck pushed and wanted it to turn tighter. Yes lighter front diff fluid will hurt on power steering. I think it was assumed that he meant off power steering since that's what most guys complain about.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #8139
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 109
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

anyone know where I could get something to cover the center diff.
especially the spur and pinion.
the track we race at is outside
and on loam.
all it takes is one pebble and there goes the spur
68sportcoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #8140
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
I don't see where the op asked about on power steering. He said his truck pushed and wanted it to turn tighter. Yes lighter front diff fluid will hurt on power steering. I think it was assumed that he meant off power steering since that's what most guys complain about.
Why would a truck "push" off power?
But hey I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt and suppose your talking about a restricted roll out due to heavy fluid.
A lot of the times when people have these issues it can be due to a lack of setting up a drag brake and throttle exponential.
I have found the most consistent lap times are mostly made with a slight drag brake setting and a positive throttle expo.
When cornering, the drag brake helps get the inertial energy to roll out on the outside front tire when slowing into a turn, which will help pivot the truck around a tight corner. This is where a sway bar will help prevent traction roll because of to much bite. Of course there are a lot of variables to consider when tuning in drag brake and throttle expo, but once you have a good balanced setup with the proper tires to roll on, you will get a very tight corning setup that will eat any track for lunch.
Just a decent turning radius is not going to make a truck handle that well through turns at different speeds and can actually be over done to the point of slowing you down with drag coefficients and losing stability in higher speeds.
The point is, there is no easy answer to getting all that, but all of it is equally as important to consider in over all balance.
It just seems that people tend to stop at mechanical radius and diff fluids.
Fact is, a simple tire compound can make or break you in a corner. If your traction rolling to much, go with a harder compound or round off the side wall tread, or vice versa for to much sliding. The fine medium is found in the incremental adjustments of everything, rather than big changes of a couple things.

Last edited by Josh L; 04-26-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #8141
Tech Apprentice
 
ignishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 62
Default A few basic setup questions......

There's a few points of adjustment I just can't figure out on this truck and have looked online but because I'm still green it's hard to find the answers

Bump steer: Where do you adjust that in this truck?

Sway bars: There are two tiny screws on the front bumper where the sway bars run through the front end. Do these get tightened down to hold the bar?

Overall shock length: Is this measured eye to eye or end to end?

15* Caster blocks: I see a lot of people running the on their setup sheets. Out of curiosity what measurement are they adding 15* of angle to?
__________________
TLR 22SCT 1.0 | TLR 22SCTE 2.0 | TA B5M Lite
ignishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #8142
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignishen View Post
There's a few points of adjustment I just can't figure out on this truck and have looked online but because I'm still green it's hard to find the answers

Bump steer: Where do you adjust that in this truck?

Sway bars: There are two tiny screws on the front bumper where the sway bars run through the front end. Do these get tightened down to hold the bar?

Overall shock length: Is this measured eye to eye or end to end?

15* Caster blocks: I see a lot of people running the on their setup sheets. Out of curiosity what measurement are they adding 15* of angle to?
Bump steer is adjusted by flipping the rod ends since they are offset, so on the setup sheet you will see bump up or bump down. That means the offset on the rod end ball is up or down. You can also add washers under the outer ball end.

The set screws in the sway bar mounts are for removing play when running different size bars. They should be just tight enough to remove play, but not hinder sway bar movement.

Shock length is measured eye to eye.

15 deg refers to the angle of the upright in relation to the arm. The 15 deg uprights are more laid back than stock.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #8143
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Why would a truck "push" off power?
But hey I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt and suppose your talking about a restricted roll out due to heavy fluid.
A lot of the times when people have these issues it can be due to a lack of setting up a drag brake and throttle exponential.
I have found the most consistent lap times are mostly made with a slight drag brake setting and a positive throttle expo.
When cornering, the drag brake helps get the inertial energy to roll out on the outside front tire when slowing into a turn, which will help pivot the truck around a tight corner. This is where a sway bar will help prevent traction roll because of to much bite. Of course there are a lot of variables to consider when tuning in drag brake and throttle expo, but once you have a good balanced setup with the proper tires to roll on, you will get a very tight corning setup that will eat any track for lunch.
Just a decent turning radius is not going to make a truck handle that well through turns at different speeds and can actually be over done to the point of slowing you down with drag coefficients and losing stability in higher speeds.
The point is, there is no easy answer to getting all that, but all of it is equally as important to consider in over all balance.
It just seems that people tend to stop at mechanical radius and diff fluids.
Fact is, a simple tire compound can make or break you in a corner. If your traction rolling to much, go with a harder compound or round off the side wall tread, or vice versa for to much sliding. The fine medium is found in the incremental adjustments of everything, rather than big changes of a couple things.
You just joined and have 30 posts, and you're trying to impress us with your big brain. Lol. I get it. Just the fact that you don't understand why a truck would push off power is telling. If you took the time to read even the last couple months of posts you would see that the biggest complaint about steering is push on corner entry. And a lot of the time it's related to mechanical problems with that specific truck. Like the issues I pointed out.

There is a thread here about roll center tuning. Lots of brain flexing going on over there. Will help you show how smart you are and up your post count.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #8144
Tech Addict
 
Dan.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S/W lower Michigan
Posts: 748
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

^^^^^LOL I was wondering when you were going to get tired of the back and forth game of the big brains!
__________________
Tekno EB48.3/Tekno EB48SL/Tekno SCT410.3
Dan.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #8145
Tech Apprentice
 
ignishen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
15 deg refers to the angle of the upright in relation to the arm. The 15 deg uprights are more laid back than stock.
Thanks for the quick reply! Out of curiosity what is the stock angle for this piece? I assume that the 15* improves steering in some way?
__________________
TLR 22SCT 1.0 | TLR 22SCTE 2.0 | TA B5M Lite
ignishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:38 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net