R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #4981

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've never driven a 2.0 or a Tekno that handles appreciably better than my 1.X. The 2.0's that I have driven always felt a bit more neutral through corners than mine. In neutral I'm referring to equal corner entry and exit steering. On the small to medium size tracks that I run on, being a good driver/tuner trumps the chassis/motor/etc. I drove a Tekno last weekend that had a Tekin 4300HD and the motor was just way too much. I think nine times out of 10 these things are over-motored around here.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #4982
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddomak View Post
Thought I'd ask the question here, since you're 2.0 drivers...

I still have the SCTE 1.0 with a BCE chassis, and am thinking of going to the BCE Hybrid chassis (save myself some $ by sticking with a lot of existing parts, but go to the revised layout).

But the question remains - will it be better for me?

Normally I run the battery pack in the 1.0 in the middle position, and have tried moving it to the rearmost position, but in the end I revert to the middle. Sure it jumps nicer, but I don't like/need the additional pendulum effect when the battery is rearward.

So if I move to a 2.0 layout, will this mean more weight at the back and therefore something I am not keen to achieve?

Unfortunately here there are not many 2.0's (though they are increasing) so I can't just try someone's out either.

Any thoughts on this?
G'day Eddomak,
PM me when you are at Ryde next and I can meet you there. I have a 2.0 with the same ESC and same MT-4 radio you can have a drive of and see if you like it over the 1.0.
I quite like the 2.0 compared to the 1.0. Ryan, Casper and the rest of the TLR boys have done an outstanding job with this truck. It is such a rewarding vehicle to drive for a beginner to the expert/pro driver.
Cheers
Phil
TOP Photon | Savox | SpeedPassion
TLR 22 Buggy | Savox | LRP SXX V2
pds179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #4983
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just wanted to report on the newest dunford set up. I used the shock setup and put the spacers under steering links only off the setup sheet. My diff oil is 5-7-3 and my track it med-high bite. Smooth, hard packed and well preped. The shock setup was money for me. My driving style likes a slower suspension setup over the faster setups that most pros like and post. The new set up was fast but manageable for me me and took jumps very well and I did not have and bottoming out issues lime I have in some of the past setups. I would recommend this setup to any average club race looking for a good setup.

My question is seems like I lost some off power and under braking steering after I did this setup and that is why I have not tried the 5-7-5 diff oils yet. Could Dunford or casper point me in the right direction to get my steering back?
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Thanks to my sponsors Mugen Seiki and Radiopost
egobrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #4984
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Are you running the spring package we have suggested with silvers in the rear? The silver rear springs will get better weight transfer to the front of the truck off power. The 5K rear diff then helps lock in the rear end on power with the stiffer rear spring. Kind of bit of a package deal there. Try the complete setup and report back if you still don't have enough steering. Also double check all your sway bars to make sure they are not bound up at all and make sure your upper shocks wiggle a little and are not bound up from over tightening the nuts as these are two very common findings when we look over trucks for customers.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #4985
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Are you running the spring package we have suggested with silvers in the rear? The silver rear springs will get better weight transfer to the front of the truck off power. The 5K rear diff then helps lock in the rear end on power with the stiffer rear spring. Kind of bit of a package deal there. Try the complete setup and report back if you still don't have enough steering. Also double check all your sway bars to make sure they are not bound up at all and make sure your upper shocks wiggle a little and are not bound up from over tightening the nuts as these are two very common findings when we look over trucks for customers.
Yes I am using the silver race springs. The sway bars are free and my shock do wiggle at the top mount. These where the first things I checked.

edit I am using blue front springs not the black
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Thanks to my sponsors Mugen Seiki and Radiopost
egobrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #4986
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

So I am way too loose in the rear of the truck when I let off the trigger. If I nail the brakes, it will stop hard in a straight line. And if I gun it, its fine. But if I try to enter a corner off power it swaps end. My setup is pretty much box stock, but I am running 2 hole 1.6 pistons with 35/32.5 oils. I was running purple fronts in the rear, but has since gone to orange rears. thoughts?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #4987
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
So I am way too loose in the rear of the truck when I let off the trigger. If I nail the brakes, it will stop hard in a straight line. And if I gun it, its fine. But if I try to enter a corner off power it swaps end. My setup is pretty much box stock, but I am running 2 hole 1.6 pistons with 35/32.5 oils. I was running purple fronts in the rear, but has since gone to orange rears. thoughts?
That is probably the biggest complaint with any 2 hole setup on this vehicle, I have never even tried the 1.6's as there is not enough pack in those in my opinion. You may want to give 4 hole pistons a try.
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #4988
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

yep, I ordered a full set of scte pistons. Casey peck suggested #3 and #5's for out local track. Now if I can remember which goes where.... lol
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #4989
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddomak View Post
Thought I'd ask the question here, since you're 2.0 drivers...

I still have the SCTE 1.0 with a BCE chassis, and am thinking of going to the BCE Hybrid chassis (save myself some $ by sticking with a lot of existing parts, but go to the revised layout).

But the question remains - will it be better for me?

Normally I run the battery pack in the 1.0 in the middle position, and have tried moving it to the rearmost position, but in the end I revert to the middle. Sure it jumps nicer, but I don't like/need the additional pendulum effect when the battery is rearward.

So if I move to a 2.0 layout, will this mean more weight at the back and therefore something I am not keen to achieve?

Unfortunately here there are not many 2.0's (though they are increasing) so I can't just try someone's out either.

Any thoughts on this?
I just went through this and went the MIP route. It does have more weight on the rear then my bump chassis set up . It does jump better ( for me ) , and the truck feels more nimble ( for me) in the sections of my track that are technical. However , its a larger 1/8 scale track and I notice I work more on the high speed corners to be smooth. When its dusty the two set ups (for me) are very similar, but as traction improves with track prep , I am a bit quicker with my new layout. I feel like I have more control to put the truck where I want it in the corners. I think the weight in the rear (for me) seems to make my truck take better advantage of grip when its there. It makes the truck turn better in the slower stuff , but it looses some steering in the faster sections. In the dust , both set ups sucked (for me ).

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #4990
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry View Post
I did... I put most of it together last night. ordered the 2.0 braces. I heard the plastic ends are the weak link. The part number for them is the whole brace. Can I just buy the plastic ends to have as spares? If so what part number am I looking for? Is there a more heavy duty option for the plastic ends from a different company or perhaps off the 8th scale buggy? And yes I know to screw the set screw all the way into the plastic to make them last longer.
You're in luck!

Just released today!

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=c5652472fb

TLR 22 2.0 RM / TLR 22 2.0 MM / TLR 22-4 / TLR 22T / TLR 22 SCT / TLR SCTE 2.0 / TLR 8IGHT-E 3.0 / Team Losi XX-4 WE / Team Losi XXX-4 G+
weavty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #4991
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavty1 View Post
You're in luck!

Just released today!

My only complaint solved! Yay MIP!
Tombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #4992
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavty1 View Post
You're in luck!

Just released today!

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=c5652472fb

Oh Yeah!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #4993
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

And even awesome-er..... VERY bad-ass design, indeed!!

http://miponline.com/store/mip13120.html

TLR 22 2.0 RM / TLR 22 2.0 MM / TLR 22-4 / TLR 22T / TLR 22 SCT / TLR SCTE 2.0 / TLR 8IGHT-E 3.0 / Team Losi XX-4 WE / Team Losi XXX-4 G+
weavty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #4994
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I wonder exactly what it means that "there isn't enough pack" ? referring to shock pistons.

I also wonder why 2wd's seem to use heavier shock oil than 4wd's. Seems like it would be the opposite? Maybe something with the pistons?

Im gonna soften the crap out of my 2wd (non losi) truck for short course nationals this weekend in search of some forward bit.

Sorry just thinking out loud.
Tommygun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #4995
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygun1 View Post
I wonder exactly what it means that "there isn't enough pack" ? referring to shock pistons.

I also wonder why 2wd's seem to use heavier shock oil than 4wd's. Seems like it would be the opposite? Maybe something with the pistons?

Im gonna soften the crap out of my 2wd (non losi) truck for short course nationals this weekend in search of some forward bit.

Sorry just thinking out loud.
Pistons are very different. to make it easy and compare 2 hole pistons the 4wd is on 1.3mm holes and 2wd is on 1.7/1.6mm holes. does not seem like a lot but ot a RC shock that is a huge difference.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote