R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #4966
Tech Apprentice

Questions??

I tried a new body on my SCTE 2.0 and was horrified by the performance before the race. Originally with the TLR body, I had a few issues with rear traction and spinning out. I was able to make some adjustments and changed the tires until I found it's running great for me. With the new body (Pro-Line 14RS .060") is was the exact opposite, the front would push hard in the later part of the turns. I had everything set backwards from what it was before (swap tires front to rear, adjust height f/r) and it all made somewhat of a difference, but I could not get it to handle worth a darn. Running out of practice time, needless to say, it put the old body back on to finish the night. I thought the weight difference and distribution was the reason for the difference in performance, so I did some testing and here are the results.

Official TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread-capture.jpg

I measured the weight of the truck alone, with the TLR body, and the Pro-Line body to see what the difference is. As you can see the Pro-Line body is much heavier, but there is no real difference to the front/rear weight bias to explain how it went from no traction in the rear to no traction in the front. The only thing I can think of is the pure extra weight alone (5.8oz heavier than the TLR). Some may think it's because of the aerodynamics, but this is in the tight slow turns.

Without a lot of tuning time, I don't think I can race this body. So what are your thoughts.
ctuinstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #4967
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Best way to test and compare a lid is to put the kit on a scale. Then turn a fan on it at a slow speed or medium speed. Turn the kit from front to side and in the rear. Note the scale readings and then try another lid noting those results as well. That will give an idea of the effects of the kit at speeds. Personally side bite numbers are what I would look at on an indoor track. Out door wind speeds will vary so the trick will be getting a high speed fan under the lid and test cut outs.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #4968
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Just got this truck... Builds just like 1.0 but question... Why are all the screws metric and all the nuts imperial? That's a PITA... Also seems like the hardware quality went down... Stripped a few screw heads already. Thank god all I have to do is the shocks and finish up the rear end!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #4969
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)
Thumbs down SCTE is not metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons2k View Post
Just got this truck... Builds just like 1.0 but question... Why are all the screws metric and all the nuts imperial? That's a PITA... Also seems like the hardware quality went down... Stripped a few screw heads already. Thank god all I have to do is the shocks and finish up the rear end!
ZERO metric on that car. EDIT> your right .. wheel nuts and....?

☆TLR 22B 3.0 MM ☆ 22T 2.0 MM ☆22B 2.0 MM ☆22-4 ☆ SCTE 2.0☆ ☆

Last edited by XXXDad; 08-17-2013 at 08:25 PM.
XXXDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #4970
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
ZERO metric on that car.
there is at least 1-2 screws on this car that are metric, the instructions call for a 1.5mm wrench
rob4448585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #4971
Tech Elite

5 64 you can use 2 mm on them lol to
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #4972
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can someone tell me if Proline Hazard zero offset wheels fit on this truck without any modification? Is that a good wheel to use? I don't want +3mm or anything right? I want to get a set of tires mounted on rims is why I'm asking.
Tommygun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #4973
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
ZERO metric on that car.
could have fooled me... My metric tools fit... imperial, not so much. Even the wheel nets are metric, I mix up the ones from my Kyosho all the time
Old 08-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #4974
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygun1 View Post
Can someone tell me if Proline Hazard zero offset wheels fit on this truck without any modification? Is that a good wheel to use? I don't want +3mm or anything right? I want to get a set of tires mounted on rims is why I'm asking.
use one of the two sets of rims that came with the kit
rob4448585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #4975
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons2k View Post
could have fooled me... My metric tools fit... imperial, not so much. Even the wheel nets are metric, I mix up the ones from my Kyosho all the time
Wheel nuts are 7mm. You are correct. The kit manual specifies both metric and imperial hex wrenches as tools that are included and needed to build the kit. That was one of the first things I read and was shocked! Just like working on real cars.
ctuinstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #4976
Tech Elite

losi good at that
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #4977
Tech Apprentice

I'm thinking about getting a Tekin motor for my 2.0 but am not sure if I should go for the Pro4 4600kv or the Pro4 HD 4300. Any suggestions? My esc is a Viper VTX8. I like my esc but I just need more motor.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #4978
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I just made the switch to a hobbywing 4700 it's a beast!! All the motor you could ask for check out Builtrc.com. Great prices and gast shipping!
seabass17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #4979
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRC View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Tekin motor for my 2.0 but am not sure if I should go for the Pro4 4600kv or the Pro4 HD 4300. Any suggestions? My esc is a Viper VTX8. I like my esc but I just need more motor.
I have a 4000kv because that's what a guy that TQ'd and won a big race I was at was using. I don't think kv matters that much really...just gear accordingly of course. I usually have 1 more tooth on that the 4600kv guys.
Tommygun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #4980
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default SCTE 2.0 handling in comparison to 1.0 battery position?

Thought I'd ask the question here, since you're 2.0 drivers...

I still have the SCTE 1.0 with a BCE chassis, and am thinking of going to the BCE Hybrid chassis (save myself some $ by sticking with a lot of existing parts, but go to the revised layout).

But the question remains - will it be better for me?

Normally I run the battery pack in the 1.0 in the middle position, and have tried moving it to the rearmost position, but in the end I revert to the middle. Sure it jumps nicer, but I don't like/need the additional pendulum effect when the battery is rearward.

So if I move to a 2.0 layout, will this mean more weight at the back and therefore something I am not keen to achieve?

Unfortunately here there are not many 2.0's (though they are increasing) so I can't just try someone's out either.

Any thoughts on this?
Airtronics/Sanwa MT-4 | Flysky GT3B - Custom firmware
eddomak is offline   Reply With Quote