Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Did you just throw the esc in the kit Box stock or do an update on the ESC 1st. I am considering using an R10 160 as well.
I'm sorry, I said for you to download the 4 pole software. I meant update your ESC based on the motor you are using lol. I assumed.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Or just pick up a hw v3.1 cheeper and runs 4 pole motors etc perfect!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DonnieNitro
looking to buy the new 2.0 and I have never built a kit before. Am I jumping in the deep end? Should I stay away or go for it?

I bought my son a Traxxas stampede (brushed) for this past Christmas and after driving it 5 minutes I went to the LHS and bought me the brushless stampede. My first two RC cars ever. I was bit by the bug and now I spend all extra money on this stuff. I have never built a kit or even seen one before and I took the chance to try the 2.0 for my first one. If you read the manual and the build tips its a simple process. I would recommend checking out Horizon Hobbys facebook page and view the pictures in the 2.0 build thread. Great tips when your a little unsure on the screws to use.

Everybody talks about how durable the Traxxas cars are. They dont stand a chance against this beast of a truck. The only problems I've had was with the turnbuckles. Replaced them with Lunsford and no more problems. The traxxas cars broke on us every weekend. The Losi hasnt broken yet!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yamaha911
Are these 4wd better suited for a 540 motor or a 550 motor?
Either ,or..... I prefer 540 4 pole motors because the weight of the can in a lightened race vehicle just makes since.Tekin has some new 4 pole 550 cans that look good.Kinda pricey tho. I prefer the HobbyWing 4000 kv 4 pole $89 .NEVER gets warm...

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey
Or just pick up a hw v3.1 cheeper and runs 4 pole motors etc perfect!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hey guys, my local hobby shop needs me to build him a few cars, and the first car he needs me to build is a Ten-SCTE 2.0.
Are their any parts I need to look out for? any special parts or parts this truck NEEDS???
I have built both my 22sct and 22t, I have good build history and I am gearhead. I use to run a XXX-SCT, so I have some Sae hardware.
I AM NOT going to be the owner of the truck, so I need to build it rite the first time.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey guys I had my first outing with this truck yesturday at a Jconcepts summer tour race. I had no practice with it before my first qualifer and the truck was very good, but traction rolling with JC green 3ds. After lowering the ride height and putting on some lower profile tires(soft wishbones) truck was really getting dialed! Gonna try 2-hole pistons next race and maybe even some limiting. TLR driver Jr Mitch was on rails with his SCTE and he was TQ!

Last edited by travymoto11; 05-12-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Potatobed, the only Traxxas vehicle that is worth the cardboard that it is shipped in is the Slash and even that is flawed. Props to Traxxas for helping keep RC alive and healthy but man they make some garbage.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewTom
hey guys, my local hobby shop needs me to build him a few cars, and the first car he needs me to build is a Ten-SCTE 2.0.
Are their any parts I need to look out for? any special parts or parts this truck NEEDS???
I have built both my 22sct and 22t, I have good build history and I am gearhead. I use to run a XXX-SCT, so I have some Sae hardware.
I AM NOT going to be the owner of the truck, so I need to build it rite the first time.
If you are a gearhead you will be good to go. Follow the manual and make sure you check out the build tips. I would go 5-5-3 with the diff oil (not sure if it's supplied in the kit...doubt it). Be careful with the diff screws. They apparently strip easily. Mine for the HD cases were fine but a LOT of people have struggled with them a bit.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Casper
Grass is tough on motors (even short grass) I would look into the 550 4 pole motors as they have a ton of torque. I like the Tekin stuff. The RX8 is a GREAT speedo and the Gen 2 has been announced and if you are willing to wait just a little while you can get the latest and greatest offering. The Pro-4 HD line will have amazing toque. These are my recommendations but there are other options out there that will work.
Thank you Casper. I will follow your recommendation and wait for the Gen 2.

What tyres would you recommend for grass? Is there anything which is optimized for grass bashing and yet does not destroy the motor? When I hit the required number of posts I will put up some photographs.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds81175
If you are a gearhead you will be good to go. Follow the manual and make sure you check out the build tips. I would go 5-5-3 with the diff oil (not sure if it's supplied in the kit...doubt it). Be careful with the diff screws. They apparently strip easily. Mine for the HD cases were fine but a LOT of people have struggled with them a bit.
I think a lot of guys that strip the diff screws are driving them in by hand and may not have a great tool. I use my hitachi drill and MIP speed tips and never had a problem but I can keep the tip square with the screw. I think guys that may not be using the a high quality wrench and then kind of wobbling the wrench as they screw in by hand are part of the reason for the stripping as the screws are pretty long and they are tight into the case. I recommend running the screw into the case once or twice before you build the diff to get the case tapped which is much easier to do with out trying to hold the case together and not letting fluid out.

Originally Posted by poolebay
Thank you Casper. I will follow your recommendation and wait for the Gen 2.

What tyres would you recommend for grass? Is there anything which is optimized for grass bashing and yet does not destroy the motor? When I hit the required number of posts I will put up some photographs.
It is not really the tires it is resistance from the grass blades. A very short grass is not bad. The Losi eclipse tire is actually a great bashing tire. It hooks up pretty good on most any surface. From a racing standpoint there is almost always a better tire but from a versatility and longevity standpoint the losi eclipse is hard to beat. These are the tires that came with the RTR.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Guys, are the body mounting holes any way used to line up with the 2.0? If not what is the easiest way to line them up and how far should I run the body forward or backward?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I recommend running the screw into the case once or twice before you build the diff to get the case tapped which is much easier to do with out trying to hold the case together and not letting fluid out.
If you can find the right size screw with a regular cap head, that is better to use when doing the pre-threading. The drive hex will be deeper and probably bigger (was for mine) with a regular socket cap screw.

But be careful - I burned my self (not seriously) on the screw as it was coming out because it was heated by the friction of its fit in the diff case. Even with the regular socket cap screw, the drive hex on my pre-threading screw was pretty much worn out by the time I did all 12 holes in the diff cases.

I think a better approach is to find the right size tap and tap the holes, at last part way. That's what I'm going to do when I update the diff cases in my 1.0.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
So, I got to run my PRO4 HD 4300 for the first time this weekend, holy crap...lol. My truck wheelies coming on the straight, lol. It was so much fun and its SO smooth. I did notice the weight though.

Some setup changes I made, moved my battery forward(this position was designed for the longer motors to bring the balance back), turned down my drag brake and my brake on my controller some as the motor has more braking power. I did play with some other stuff that I had been wanting to try so once I determine if its better on some other tracks too, I will let everyone know...so much fun though.
Ryan I just ran mine also last weekend it was awsome , what pinion are you running what are accetable temps on the pro hd , one more what tires are you running , the outside track that i run is mostly dusty but nice and sticky when waterd ? thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FR0GGY
Just wondering if anyone has some sugggetions on what gearing I should run on a losi scte for general bashing. Using as turnigy nanotech 2s 6600mAh 65c. I have a 3800kv 401 tenshock motor with a hobbywing sc8 esc. Also if anyone has any esc settings suggestions. Would like to use 3s as well not looking for massive speed but would like things to run quicker than the rtr setup and cooler. Thanks
Just in case you haven't sorted this out yet, or if someone else finds this while searching... I had a chance to test my Tenshock 401v2 3800kv with a bone stock SCTE and 2 back to back 2s 50c 5300mah lipos. I ended up purchasing three novak pinions as follows: 14t, 15t, 16t. I ran the 16T pinion and find it to be a good gearing for me. Temps on the motor only reached 135*F after the second of two back to back packs. The ambient temp outside today was 59*F. The test surface was asphalt with long straights so I really got to wind it out in between corners. In hind site, I wish I had saved a few bucks and bought the Novak 15 - 17t pinion set instead of paying for three separate pinions. It would have saved me about $10 and I could drop in the 17t to see how it runs... Oh well. I hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by reckboy; 05-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 AM
Tech Initiate

We have finished the front end. Yippee. No arguments or problems.

We didn't want to risk stripping the diff screws so we used these instead:
Flat Head Screw M2.5x12mm (10pcs) - Z449 - HPI E-Firestorm Flux

I'll post pictures soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.