Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Got mine all built. Off to the track tomorrow for some fun. Cant wait.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I've been struggling with this or the Tekno SCT the past week, what concerns me on this is non metric screws (grr), No rx box (Seriously? Come on!) and if the motor mount screw will still strip out as the 1.0's did.

Any ideas?

Imo there's nothing wrong with the Stock Mount, Use a proper Torquable screw and your fine.

No Rx box, No real big deal, Make a lexan shield.

I also Prefer SAE to Metric Screw's, IMO they are more durable as far as the hexes are concerned also the Coarser threads bit into plastic better than Fine Threaded Metric screws.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Weaves1
I can't believe the quality of the black aluminum screws. They are softer than 22 series ones and strip very easily. This truck deserves better hardware and metric sizing.
I still don't understand how you guys are stripping hardware. Is it the hex interface? Are you using "L" wrenches or what?

I have yet to strip a screw on the Ten or 8ight series. They both use the same 5-40 hardware.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
Sorry to point this out, but looking at your pic, it looks as though your left and right mudguards are swapped. This was mentioned in the build tips that I posted. Was your center diff hard to screw down? Does it hit the sideguard? One should have a raised portion which goes alongside the battery.
I think its the angle of pic but all is good...taller side is on the battery side I know as i had the set-up sheet and quick set-up guide or whatever documents had on the first post printed off so i wasnt running to the computer.

Nothing bad about the diff screwing down...why do you ask?
Only issue was the bottom shock caps, wheel nuts, screws in chassis not actually countersunk, and the dimensions for the links not right

Originally Posted by maddog9
hacker, did you ever find about the bottom of the chassis not being counter-sinked enough where the screws are not flush with the chassis? eventually the screws will get worn down to nothing.
Yes, i agree as most of the screws dont go down into the chassis with the head still sticking out. Not excited about this for what we payed...

Originally Posted by Weaves1
I can't believe the quality of the black aluminum screws. They are softer than 22 series ones and strip very easily. This truck deserves better hardware and metric sizing.
Yes, the black screws suck and i even changed out the ones for the body post and the piece the body rest on to a larger hex head as the small ones gave me nothing but issues

I've been struggling with this or the Tekno SCT the past week, what concerns me on this is non metric screws (grr), No rx box (Seriously? Come on!) and if the motor mount screw will still strip out as the 1.0's did.

Any ideas?
The screws not really an issue other than the diffs and the small ones for body post but i swapped the diffs out with the HPI Z449 and went prefect, the reciever box most people eliminated as this is more a race truck so it was done to conserve weight but its not like you cant add one behind the servo if its that big of a deal, and never had an issue with the motor screws
Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

True but for the sake of a 20-30 grams I'd prefer to keep my RX-471 Rx safe (they aint cheap!)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

True but for the sake of a 20-30 grams I'd prefer to keep my RX-471 Rx safe (they aint cheap!)
so buy a $10 case and put it on...keep in mind that the other one on the 1.0 was built in with the servo holder so it was alot to most people and like everyone said, those who race, its a race of grams/oz that can make a difference when your removing it from serveral spots on the truck. Guys went to the HD outdrives for the weight reduction and there wasnt much to be gained there but overall it all adds up
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pretty sure some company will come up with a receiver box in a few weeks or a month. But I agree, running on a dusty track makes me nervous with an expensive rx.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I got to drive one of these last night - Friend got his yesterday and built just in time for racing. The timing was turned off during practice so no comparison times to my 1, which was a shame, but box setup and it felt great.

I don't know what others think, but it felt like a buggy to drive. The SCTE 1 is very point and shoot and the rear end rotates around the corners, the front end does all the work and the rear end is just along for the ride, whereas with the 2 it felt like a proper car rather than a truck and actually drove around the corners. I much preferred it and even kit setup I reckon I equaled my top lap times. Trying to keep my wallet in my pocket but it's hard!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhys
Are there any problems yet? Thinking on getting one. I have the associated 4x4 now.
LOL there's the problem

Last edited by Jellis; 03-15-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I still don't understand how you guys are stripping hardware. Is it the hex interface? Are you using "L" wrenches or what?

I have yet to strip a screw on the Ten or 8ight series. They both use the same 5-40 hardware.
The small screws for the diff are a bit of a long job to thread in ,I am assuming people are just rushing the screws in and causing the tip of the tool to wander.Slow down and take your time on those screws guys.
Also go spend 26 bucks on the MIP tools(2 ea) that are needed for the shock cap bleeders and the diff screws and You will never(going slow and takin yer time)
strip a screw..
Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I finally got my kit yesterday and I was able to support my local shop, Yeah! Lol ! Ok I put together the 1st differential and it is butter smooth. Just like B main said buy Mip wrenches if you don’t already have them ( I personally wouldn’t attempt to put together any kit with the included hardware, I’m still using my MIP wrenches from 1996).

I did take the advice of others on here and pre-thread the diff cases before I put the diff together just because it only took me 1 minute longer to do it this way. I think the theory is when the diff is empty (aka no fluid you can hold it vertical and horizontally to make sure your diff screw is going in perfect vs. when its full of fluid and you have to keep it upright. I’ll keep you posted on the center and rear diff to follow but I don’t expect any problems. This kit is 1st class and as far as I’m concerned LOSI has stepped up their kit game big time. It’s so funny how the instructions have changed since 1996 when I bought my 1st RC10B2. The kits have gone from a paragraph on each segment to pictures, LMAO

What an awesome kit, I can’t wait to drive it. B main and I are going to go tear up IERC or lake pegs, whatever comes 1st BRAP Brap

B main I'm running same electronics as you (RX8/XE4000) what pinion should I start off with 1st? The XE4000 I just picked up so its new to me…

I was waiting for the PRO4HD but at 200 bucks OMG
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Gearing with a hw 4000kv 4pole. Outdoor track 95 foot straight. 14 tooth to start??
Also is the kit setup good for a low to medium bite outdoor track. Some big jumps also.
Thanks.

Last edited by Blitzrockey; 03-15-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TCCustoms
so buy a $10 case and put it on...keep in mind that the other one on the 1.0 was built in with the servo holder so it was alot to most people and like everyone said, those who race, its a race of grams/oz that can make a difference when your removing it from serveral spots on the truck. Guys went to the HD outdrives for the weight reduction and there wasnt much to be gained there but overall it all adds up
i don't know of anyone who bought the HD outdrives for the weight reduction. I, and everyone i know bought them because the stockers were soft as butter and showed wear after 5 packs.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panda-PR
Pretty sure some company will come up with a receiver box in a few weeks or a month. But I agree, running on a dusty track makes me nervous with an expensive rx.
Will the 1.0 fit? The rock guard of the 2.0 looks too narrow to allow proper fitment.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Trucks going together nicely. I've collected a few of my own tips for people getting ready to build theirs.

General comments about the manual - The pictures of the screws and hardware are not always 1:1 scale like you would typically find in other build manuals. Kinda of a bummer but easily solved with a caliper.

Step A-1/1.5 - The setscrew for the steering linkage is not 7/8" long as indicated. Its a bit shorter.

Step A-2 - The screw LOSA6256 4-40x1/2" is a bit short going thru the steering linkage and doesn't quite reach into the plastic insert on the LOSA6306 nylock nut. I just used a bit of loctite.

Step A-3 - I added loctite to both the grub screws for the droop and the flatheads holding the steering posts. Maybe its just my nitro background, but in general, any type of metal to metal screw contact should have some sort of thread fastener. I can just envision that the grub screws on the chassis backing off and changing droop throughout a race.

Step B-3 - As posted in previous threads, the M2.6 x 10 screws are poor quality and need to be installed with a 1/16" high quality allen driver. Doesn't make sense why a metric screw would use imperial tools, but I guess that got missed in QA. I replaced the cheap steel M2.6 x 10 screws with M2.6 x 10 titanium fasteners from Integy/3 Racing and haven't looked back. The manual also calls out TLR332001 as the part number for the screw but that is the diff casing w/screws. It would be nice to have the correct part number for just the screws.

Overall, the kit is great and I commend Ryan and the rest of TLR for getting this out in a timely manner even with the few quirks in the manual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.