R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #1876
Tech Regular
 
Djioul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: France
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punt66 View Post
If your not racing i would not waste your money.
Depends what you call racing, I should have been more clear.

I'm not in national or even regional races, but we often have races between friends at our track (with lap counter and times, etc...) and I'd like to have a bit more traction at the rear and better balance on jumps, which I believe the 2.0 layout is bringing.

But we are not as strict as ROAR rules, so we do allow 3S set-ups for example.
__________________
Losi SCTE Ten - hobbywing 120A - Ezrun 2800kv
Lazer ZX5 - hobbywing 120A - LRP 6.5T
Schumacher cougar mk 1 - hobbywing 60A - Orion 10.5T
Tamiya M03 & M04M - both with TEUBK 101 - Mabuchi 540
Nikko dictator II full stock... for the moment.
Djioul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1877
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djioul View Post
Depends what you call racing, I should have been more clear.

I'm not in national or even regional races, but we often have races between friends at our track (with lap counter and times, etc...) and I'd like to have a bit more traction at the rear and better balance on jumps, which I believe the 2.0 layout is bringing.

But we are not as strict as ROAR rules, so we do allow 3S set-ups for example.
ok, you said you were not racing. Then spend away LOL
__________________
Team RCE
T-RCE.com
Punt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1878
Tech Regular
 
Purdue Engineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 407
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hay guys
ran the 2.0 for the first time last night. I pluged the #55 pistons and ran 32.5 front and 30 rear. After the first practice the truck looked like it was sagging in the rear. It didn't handle very good at all. I checked the shocks and I had two problems. The shock were leaking fluid, I had the small shock caps and put them on with plyers so that could have been the issue. Also, one of the plugs I put in the piston fell out. I had to put the stock pistons that came with the truck in the rear with 30 oil. There were two with a 3 and two with a 4 that came with the truck. I put the two pistons with the 3 on them in. I don't know if that was right or not. And as a side note, I think I had the wrong tires. So questions I have:

How do you plug the pistons? I put a dab of ca glue then put a tooth pick in the hole, let it dry and then cut the ends off. I wanted it to look good so I took a knife and cleaned up the top of the piston. Maybe thats what I did wrong. Any others ways to do this?

What is the shock leangth measurment at full droop? center to center. I think that is messed up also. The truck is really nose diving off the jumps.

I had two of the really good fast guys at the track drive the truck to see if it was just me or the truck, they said it was the truck. They said it felt like the truck was on top of the track and just sliding around, and it was nose diving on them also and had no off power steering but a lot of on power steering. I had the ride height at 25mm front and back when I got there then raised it later.

They said to look at a couple of things:
The tires were wrong. I had soft square fuzzys and I needed something in clay or just a bar type like rattlers or suburbs in clay. The truck really needed more side bit and over all grip.

Change the droop. If I change the droop in the front or rear will it change the way the truck comes off the jumps?

Just remember when you read this, I am by no means saying this truck is not good. I am pretty new at driving and new to this truck and losi in general. I just need help with handleing and getting this truck dialed in. I can not wait till this tread becomes "lets talk about setup issues and ways to change the handling on the truck" and not " I wish my truck would come it" and "where the hell are my parts." So if Ryan and Casper or anyone else with expereance with this truck could help out, that would be great. Looking forward to talking setup with you all.

Thanks
Purdue Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #1879
Tech Addict
 
huzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hemet
Posts: 704
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue Engineer View Post
Hay guys
ran the 2.0 for the first time last night. I pluged the #55 pistons and ran 32.5 front and 30 rear. After the first practice the truck looked like it was sagging in the rear. It didn't handle very good at all. I checked the shocks and I had two problems. The shock were leaking fluid, I had the small shock caps and put them on with plyers so that could have been the issue. Also, one of the plugs I put in the piston fell out. I had to put the stock pistons that came with the truck in the rear with 30 oil. There were two with a 3 and two with a 4 that came with the truck. I put the two pistons with the 3 on them in. I don't know if that was right or not. And as a side note, I think I had the wrong tires. So questions I have:

How do you plug the pistons? I put a dab of ca glue then put a tooth pick in the hole, let it dry and then cut the ends off. I wanted it to look good so I took a knife and cleaned up the top of the piston. Maybe thats what I did wrong. Any others ways to do this?

What is the shock leangth measurment at full droop? center to center. I think that is messed up also. The truck is really nose diving off the jumps.

I had two of the really good fast guys at the track drive the truck to see if it was just me or the truck, they said it was the truck. They said it felt like the truck was on top of the track and just sliding around, and it was nose diving on them also and had no off power steering but a lot of on power steering. I had the ride height at 25mm front and back when I got there then raised it later.

They said to look at a couple of things:
The tires were wrong. I had soft square fuzzys and I needed something in clay or just a bar type like rattlers or suburbs in clay. The truck really needed more side bit and over all grip.

Change the droop. If I change the droop in the front or rear will it change the way the truck comes off the jumps?

Just remember when you read this, I am by no means saying this truck is not good. I am pretty new at driving and new to this truck and losi in general. I just need help with handleing and getting this truck dialed in. I can not wait till this tread becomes "lets talk about setup issues and ways to change the handling on the truck" and not " I wish my truck would come it" and "where the hell are my parts." So if Ryan and Casper or anyone else with expereance with this truck could help out, that would be great. Looking forward to talking setup with you all.

Thanks
Should of just put it together like the manual says instead of trying to change setup from the start. Especially if you dont have much experiance with this truck anyway. Don't worry about Casper or Ryan's setup you don't drive like them so their setup will do you no good. Sounds like your shocks are having a problem. I would just go back to initial setup on the shocks and go from there.
__________________
Tekno EB48.2,Associated B5,Losi SCTE Pro8,Losi xxxsct,Jammin X2 ,Jammin scrt10,RC10.
huzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #1880
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando / Maitland, FL
Posts: 1,770
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to agarabaghi
Default

Got confirmation my order is shipping today 2day fedex will be here friday... might be pulling an all night =P
agarabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #1881
Tech Elite
 
Grandturk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

@purdue - when gluing pistons - place a drop in the hole and spray it with CA accelerator. This will make a nice dome or mushroom cap on glue around the hole. Don't trim it off leave it.
__________________
Your Product Name Here
Grandturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #1882
Tech Master
 
handyman77's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,599
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

So what are you guys running as far as motors? I am changing mine from a novak 4.5 to ??????

Tekin 4300 HD 4 pole?

what else??
__________________
MBX7TR....O.S. SPEC 3 .NOVAROSSI PALOMA 7
MUGEN SCTE CONV. TEKIN 4600 HD HOBBYWING XR8
MBX7R..NOVAROSSI DRAKE MOTOR
HOT BODIES D413 LRP VECTOR 6.5T
LRHhobbies.com in placentia, CA.
handyman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #1883
Tech Regular
 
Purdue Engineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 407
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

can I put the pistons in acetone to clean then off and start over?
Purdue Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #1884
Tech Elite
 
Grandturk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue Engineer View Post
can I put the pistons in acetone to clean then off and start over?
I don't see why not. And thank you for reminding me of that option.
__________________
Your Product Name Here
Grandturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #1885
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,764
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue Engineer View Post
Hay guys
ran the 2.0 for the first time last night. I pluged the #55 pistons and ran 32.5 front and 30 rear. After the first practice the truck looked like it was sagging in the rear. It didn't handle very good at all. I checked the shocks and I had two problems. The shock were leaking fluid, I had the small shock caps and put them on with plyers so that could have been the issue. Also, one of the plugs I put in the piston fell out. I had to put the stock pistons that came with the truck in the rear with 30 oil. There were two with a 3 and two with a 4 that came with the truck. I put the two pistons with the 3 on them in. I don't know if that was right or not. And as a side note, I think I had the wrong tires. So questions I have:

How do you plug the pistons? I put a dab of ca glue then put a tooth pick in the hole, let it dry and then cut the ends off. I wanted it to look good so I took a knife and cleaned up the top of the piston. Maybe thats what I did wrong. Any others ways to do this?

What is the shock leangth measurment at full droop? center to center. I think that is messed up also. The truck is really nose diving off the jumps.

I had two of the really good fast guys at the track drive the truck to see if it was just me or the truck, they said it was the truck. They said it felt like the truck was on top of the track and just sliding around, and it was nose diving on them also and had no off power steering but a lot of on power steering. I had the ride height at 25mm front and back when I got there then raised it later.

They said to look at a couple of things:
The tires were wrong. I had soft square fuzzys and I needed something in clay or just a bar type like rattlers or suburbs in clay. The truck really needed more side bit and over all grip.

Change the droop. If I change the droop in the front or rear will it change the way the truck comes off the jumps?

Just remember when you read this, I am by no means saying this truck is not good. I am pretty new at driving and new to this truck and losi in general. I just need help with handleing and getting this truck dialed in. I can not wait till this tread becomes "lets talk about setup issues and ways to change the handling on the truck" and not " I wish my truck would come it" and "where the hell are my parts." So if Ryan and Casper or anyone else with expereance with this truck could help out, that would be great. Looking forward to talking setup with you all.

Thanks
You need to have some glue on the top and bottom of the piston to keep the "plug" in place.

Check out this great little article from Ryan.
http://losiracing.blogspot.com/2012/...e-pistons.html

Tires are critical for any setup. Truck balance is important.

What is normal traction like at your track? Is the track smooth or bumpy? If you are runny fuzzies I would assume smooth and at least med bite.

I would either stick with the kit setup for shocks (front 27.5 #3's, Rear 27.5 #4's) or try the 2 hole pistons again.

The kit setup works well and we ran that for a long time but the 2 hole setup gives improved pack characteristics for better landing and a little better truck stability.

The kit setup for front camber link will give a little better off power steering and a little less on power. We like the latest position in Ryan's setup posted on the first page as it kind of forces you to drive on power. We have found the rear end holds well still and since you are picking up the throttle faster it is lowering lap times. This change was a driving style change for both Ryan and I but the truck liked the setup.


Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzler View Post
Should of just put it together like the manual says instead of trying to change setup from the start. Especially if you dont have much experiance with this truck anyway. Don't worry about Casper or Ryan's setup you don't drive like them so their setup will do you no good. Sounds like your shocks are having a problem. I would just go back to initial setup on the shocks and go from there.
I agree with this to a point. I agree everyone drives different and one setup is not perfect for everyone. With all that being said there never is a Magic end all say all setup that works everywhere and for everyone so as always we are here to help any individual help setup there truck for them and there track but the kit setup and the new dunford setup with 2 hole pistons we feel are great starting points and have been very sucessful in the hands of many drivers. The kit setup is basically where we were with the 1.0 truck with new towers and some other things we have been testing for a long time.
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 4.0 SR, TLR 22T 4.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups

Last edited by Casper; 03-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #1886
Tech Regular
 
Blown up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ma.
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I need to stick w/a 2s setup. I just want to see what mah guys are running in a 2s pack to get 10minutes out of and keep the truck balanced well.
__________________
XB4 RSpro/LRP 7.5 JR9000s, SCTE 2.0 RX8/Pro46 DS1015, SC10.2 RS/D3.5 17.5 DS1015,
Blown up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #1887
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visual_rabbi View Post
Thanks Rockthecatbox21. That makes sense.

So, it doesn't really effect performance then?
It actually does effect the performance some. The extra friction in the front shaft causes the center diff to bias more torque to the rear, kind of like diffing out the inside tire on the front or rear diff is caused by having less resistance on the inside wheel compared to the outside. I messed with this a little on my 1.0 by moving the center diff .400" toward the centerline. I felt like it was a gain on that truck since I don't like loose handling vehicle, but it probably won't be as big of a problem on the 2.0 since the front shaft is at less of an angle.
dirtracin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #1888
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,764
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupapi77 View Post
So what are you guys running as far as motors? I am changing mine from a novak 4.5 to ??????

Tekin 4300 HD 4 pole?

what else??
The new HD motor will be a beast. Since has not hit the shelves just yet (should be shipping now or very soon!) most of the tekin guys are running the 4600KV Pro-4 short can.

There are a few other good motors out there as well. You should look at 540 4 pole or 550 cans only though.
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 4.0 SR, TLR 22T 4.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #1889
Tech Master
 
handyman77's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,599
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The new HD motor will be a beast. Since has not hit the shelves just yet (should be shipping now or very soon!) most of the tekin guys are running the 4600KV Pro-4 short can.

There are a few other good motors out there as well. You should look at 540 4 pole or 550 cans only though.
Thanks Bud
__________________
MBX7TR....O.S. SPEC 3 .NOVAROSSI PALOMA 7
MUGEN SCTE CONV. TEKIN 4600 HD HOBBYWING XR8
MBX7R..NOVAROSSI DRAKE MOTOR
HOT BODIES D413 LRP VECTOR 6.5T
LRHhobbies.com in placentia, CA.
handyman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #1890
Tech Elite
 
Grandturk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown up View Post
I need to stick w/a 2s setup. I just want to see what mah guys are running in a 2s pack to get 10minutes out of and keep the truck balanced well.
6500 60+ C packs - 10 minutes with practice laps to spare.
__________________
Your Product Name Here
Grandturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:49 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net