Search
Like Tree1Likes

New Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Rear Motor Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Since the claims (from any company) of gear width vs friction have always bugged me, I'll chime in with this: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae140.cfm and this: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...-friction.html

Surface area of contact has no effect on friction. So narrower gears do not reduce friction. But, you ARE reducing rotating mass, and eliminating a bearing or two, so there are definite benefits to narrower gears.
Interesting, it seems that 64p gears seem to be faster than 48p? its also in that situation and from my experience a 32p gear has more "natural drag brake" than say a 64p gear. I do think that there are different variables when applied to gears because of multiple contact points and gear tooth designs which all play an important part. There are many different tooth designs, a helical gear is way less efficient that straight cut gears and this is because of surface area. So go back to my original situation, do you believe that a 3"wide idler gear will be as efficient in power transfer as a 1/16 wide idler gear with all things being equal?
I run dual aluminum idler gears in my SRX MM and the gearbox is louder? and the only difference is material.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LaserPimp
Battery forward and/or softer front spring can make a big difference.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Tdiddy likes this.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rraden
I ended up adding weight to the front of the car. Solved a huge portion of the understeer. Other things to try, softer front springs, heavier rear springs, shift as much weight forward as possible.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Interesting, it seems that 64p gears seem to be faster than 48p?
Stock drivers at my track swear this is true. I have not tried it myself yet though.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by shagino
Stock drivers at my track swear this is true. I have not tried it myself yet though.
Same here and i do know for sure that on an F1/21.5 car 64p is faster. I think we are confusing friction with efficiency? narrow gears are more efficient than wide gears may be a better way of saying it.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Same here and i do know for sure that on an F1/21.5 car 64p is faster. I think we are confusing friction with efficiency? narrow gears are more efficient than wide gears may be a better way of saying it.
In onroad cars, 64p sounds quieter and definitely has less drag. Maybe faster acceleration. Top speed? 64P may be faster but I doubt that anybody can notice it w/ their naked eyes in most tracks w/o using proper speed tool. Lap times may improve not due to the top speed but due to probably less drag and faster acceleration.
When you hear 48P, much louder, due to friction. Means more drag and slowing down.
As for the narrower gears, I seriously doubt that, among commercially available gears, it makes a huge difference. Rotating mass and contact surface do make difference in your extreme example but not among the gears we use.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snuvet75
In onroad cars, 64p sounds quieter and definitely has less drag. Maybe faster acceleration. Top speed? 64P may be faster but I doubt that anybody can notice it w/ their naked eyes in most tracks w/o using proper speed tool. Lap times may improve not due to the top speed but due to probably less drag and faster acceleration.
When you hear 48P, much louder, due to friction. Means more drag and slowing down.
As for the narrower gears, I seriously doubt that, among commercially available gears, it makes a huge difference. Rotating mass and contact surface do make difference in your extreme example but not among the gears we use.
Not really sure where you are going with this but noise has nothing to do with efficiency or really drag, some teeth designs are quieter than others and a loose mesh will,be louder/ faster than a tight mesh which would be opposite of what you are saying.
The narrow gears are faster , plain and simple! Not a point that you can really argue! Ask anyone who has ran them and they will tell you the same thing and it's not weight, my gears are delrin and actually weigh the same as the stock plastic gears. The car accelerates MUCH quicker and everyone who has purchased them says the same thing. In offroad top speed really makes no difference, acceleration drops lap-times in stock and thin gears do just that.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Not really sure where you are going with this but noise has nothing to do with efficiency or really drag, some teeth designs are quieter than others and a loose mesh will,be louder/ faster than a tight mesh which would be opposite of what you are saying.
The narrow gears are faster , plain and simple! Not a point that you can really argue! Ask anyone who has ran them and they will tell you the same thing and it's not weight, my gears are delrin and actually weigh the same as the stock plastic gears. The car accelerates MUCH quicker and everyone who has purchased them says the same thing. In offroad top speed really makes no difference, acceleration drops lap-times in stock and thin gears do just that.
Easy man. I didn't say you're wrong and I was just giving my opinion you brought up. LOL
How thinner is the derlin gear compared with stock?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Interesting, it seems that 64p gears seem to be faster than 48p? its also in that situation and from my experience a 32p gear has more "natural drag brake" than say a 64p gear. I do think that there are different variables when applied to gears because of multiple contact points and gear tooth designs which all play an important part. There are many different tooth designs, a helical gear is way less efficient that straight cut gears and this is because of surface area.
I agreed with you on 64p vs smaller p. Didn't I? Regarding gear designs, of course I think it's important factor too but it doesn't really matter when we talk about 1 car cuz they are all similar no matter what brand is. Only because one gear is a bit thinner than the other, it doesn't mean it will be NOTICEABLY faster. May be at the high competition level where 0.01s matters. I have never seen a helical gear in RC car but with the same theory applied to 48p vs 64p, it's natural bigger gears cause more friction and SOUND. And loose mesh, due to less contact patch, will sound LESS according to your friction theory though the difference may be minute. Am I wrong??

Originally Posted by Davidka
Noise is the sound of friction happening. Less width does not result in less friction under load. Neither does making all the gears out of the same material.
I'm not an engineer so I can't say he's right or wrong but I know that, talking about 1 car from a brand, there shouldn't be too big of a difference in terms of thickness of spur no matter what brand you use. So I don't think thickness of spurs plays a big role for speed in a single car. It's more of using 64p vs 48p though I can't explain scientifically why 64p MAY BE faster LOL. BTW, are 64p offroad gears also generally thinner than 48p gears just like onroad ones guys?

Last edited by snuvet75; 03-11-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Easy man. I didn't say you're wrong and I was just giving my opinion you brought up. LOL
How thinner is the derlin gear compared with stock?
No worries, didn't mean for it to come across that way!
They are 3 mm

I agreed with you on 64p vs smaller p. Didn't I? Regarding gear designs, of course I think it's important factor too but it doesn't really matter when we talk about 1 car cuz they are all similar no matter what brand is. Only because one gear is a bit thinner than the other, it doesn't mean it will be NOTICEABLY faster. May be at the high competition level where 0.01s matters. I have never seen a helical gear in RC car but with the same theory applied to 48p vs 64p, it's natural bigger gears cause more friction and SOUND. And loose mesh, due to less contact patch, will sound LESS according to your friction theory though the difference may be minute. Am I wrong??

I'm not an engineer so I can't say he's right or wrong but I know that, talking about 1 car from a brand, there shouldn't be too big of a difference in terms of thickness of spur no matter what brand you use. So I don't think thickness of spurs plays a big role for speed in a single car. It's more of using 64p vs 48p though I can't explain scientifically why 64p MAY BE faster LOL. BTW, are 64p offroad gears also generally thinner than 48p gears just like onroad ones guys?
Not that your wrong but what happens when you run a loose mesh? It gets very loud but does not create more friction.
For a while there and still on some cars they use helical dif gears and they are very strong but also very inefficient and create more heat.thing about gears is that power loss is not linear its exponential. 1% at 1000rpms could be 10% at 20k rpms ( just random numbers)
I think we are confusing speed with acceleration? The thin gears are not going to necessarily increase speed but should get to that speed faster either because of weight or efficiency.
As far as I know there are no 64p off road cars , not strong enough. 48p is marginal nowadays with brushless!

When i first started making gears it was not for me as I do not run stock . I have a few team guys that requested it so I made them and all I can go off of is their feedback. All of them said the same thing , the car accelerates much faster. So just for kicks i set up a stock car and I have to say that it really does make the cars quicker. So from what I can tell there are four things that change with the thin gears:
Thinner dimensions
Harder materials
Weight ( minimal)
1 less bearing

Another company makes thin gears that are shaved down stock gears so in that case the only difference is the width. I have no experience with them but have been told that they also accelerate better. In that case the only difference is weight and just being thin.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Trying to help a friend out with his SRX RTR. What is the current go-to o-ring/spacer package for the shocks, that won't leak? There seems to be a mixed variety of reviews of the Kyosho and Traxxas X-Rings and Durango O-Rings, all of which are both "leak-free" and "leaking as well".

Thinking Durango purple P3, stock spacers with drilled out bottom caps. Or would the X-Ring, O-Ring, O-Ring, X-Ring setup work better?
Old 04-13-2020, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Any rear motor rolling chassis out there?
Old 01-26-2021, 11:57 AM
Tech Rookie

A little late to this party maybe..... Just got myself an SRX2 rm RTR.

Setting it up for carpet and Astro turf once things reopen. Fitted a slipper clutch off a 2nd hand gearbox/chassis I got from eBay. Just fitted some shorter Astro springs and have a rear anti-roll bar on the way. Got various Schumacher yellow compound tyres to try. Will be running shorty lipos.

Anything else I should consider doing or getting whilst i’m twiddling my thumbs?
Old 01-26-2021, 01:01 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Brass front bulkhead (500250) is almost mandatory for carpet racing.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dtr
Brass front bulkhead (500250) is almost mandatory for carpet racing.
Thanks, what would that do for me? Is it just about keeping some weight on the front end? Seems a lot of cash for a small metal block!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.