Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
3 Racing Cactus EP 2WD Buggy >

3 Racing Cactus EP 2WD Buggy

3 Racing Cactus EP 2WD Buggy

Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROB784 View Post
Anyone driven one of these on carpet? I'm about to get one and set it up in MM config and see how it goes.

What parts are needed to put the durango shafts in? Sounds like I may as well order those at the same time.
part numbers needed are TD310254 and TD310135. the original hex pin will not fit in the Durango shaft, switching to the durango hex pin is necessary. I broke one of the originals on the first lap tonight. found it really odd since there was nothing weird about the landing.

I was tinkering with my friends Cactus today at my local carpet track, performance was hindered with his FlySky radio but it had tons of steering and handles the jumps nicely. lacked a bit of on power steering but i'm hoping removing some of the droop with shock limiters or loosening the diff slightly will help with that. the upgrades I'd recommend for running it on carpet would be the aluminium chassis and the brass front arm mount. having a heavier and stiffer chassis with some added weight on the front would help plant it.

This buggy does have potential for great performance, it's a shame the majority of racers tend to shy away from everything that's not one of the bigger names. It's always the "where can I get parts for it?" every time I'm asked that question, my response is usually "why does it matter? most people buy their stuff online now anyways" and it's usually those people that are asking me that question. I'm in the same boat as you guys when it comes to wanting something different from everyone else.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just picked up a kit. Can't wait to build it!

Anyone have a starting point for MM for hard pack, med-high grip clay?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by one18thscalerac View Post
vary stable and a good jumper I haven't had a shock tower issue yet I felt that in mm on carpet it could use a different arm mount option as it comes out of the box mm is fixed at 4 degree and it just doesn't allow the car to rotate well in tight tracks
You are in luck. They just released the new aluminum arm mounts to allow for 3, 3.5, 4.
They also released an aluminum chassis, I'm anxious to hear what other drivers think of it.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by knapsty637 View Post
You are in luck. They just released the new aluminum arm mounts to allow for 3, 3.5, 4.
They also released an aluminum chassis, I'm anxious to hear what other drivers think of it.
The chassis is sold out in a lot of online stores. So people have them! Just need them to come post impressions here.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Hey all, i just finished the build, but i'm getting a weird and nasty transmission sound. See video below, and turn down the volume, its kind of loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3HkOK7uTE

I rebuilt the trans after i first heard this sound. Exact same sound after rebuild. I tried to keep the case screws looser but that doesn't seem to help.

I've detached the motor, CVDs, and slipper and ran the thing with a hand drill and it still making the noise.

I will say turning the trans by hand it has some sticking points and people did say that the trans in this thing isn't very smooth at first, but this seems a ridiculous. Is this just the gears wearing in?
Old 10-17-2014, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Khan48 View Post
Hey all, i just finished the build, but i'm getting a weird and nasty transmission sound. See video below, and turn down the volume, its kind of loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3HkOK7uTE

I rebuilt the trans after i first heard this sound. Exact same sound after rebuild. I tried to keep the case screws looser but that doesn't seem to help.

I've detached the motor, CVDs, and slipper and ran the thing with a hand drill and it still making the noise.

I will say turning the trans by hand it has some sticking points and people did say that the trans in this thing isn't very smooth at first, but this seems a ridiculous. Is this just the gears wearing in?
I can't remember if it's a gear diff or ball diff. But if it's a Ball diff then that's definitely your problem.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Ball diff. That doesn't sound like a slipping ball diff to me at all. There is also no way its slipping at low speeds under no load.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IntegraMark View Post
part numbers needed are TD310254 and TD310135. the original hex pin will not fit in the Durango shaft, switching to the durango hex pin is necessary. I broke one of the originals on the first lap tonight. found it really odd since there was nothing weird about the landing.
The Durango rear axle DOES NOT fit easily. I picked up the Durango parts on the advice i read in this forum. I broke my rear axle during practice and had the following experience trying to replace them:

First off the durango roll pins are 14mm. The 3racing is 12mm meaning the wheels won't fit becasue the roll pins stick out of the 12mm hexes. You'll need to dremel them shorter which is a PITA. Second once you have the hex hub on the axle, there is a 1-2mm of gap between the hex hub and the outer bearing. This is due to the roll pin hole being placed further out on the axle. You could shim this space but it would widen the buggy changing vehicle dynamics and possibly making it illegally wide.

PRS1 and VBC firebolt rear axles seem to be much closer in dimensions to the stock rear axles. Thinking of picking some up to try out.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive done this mod using a durango axle. yes there is a 2mm gap betweeen the axle pin and the bearing. shimming them was easy and widening the rear track a bit wont hurt the dynamics of this kit.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by miles514 View Post
Ive done this mod using a durango axle. yes there is a 2mm gap betweeen the axle pin and the bearing. shimming them was easy and widening the rear track a bit wont hurt the dynamics of this kit.
Hmm well i ordered some PRS1 axles i found for cheap to see if they fit. The PRS1 uses the same sized bearings in the wheel hub so i'm optimistic it'll work.

On another note, does anyone know the spring rates of the stock kit springs?

Also, does anyone have a setup starting point for med-high grip smooth clay?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

So i got the PRS1 axles and they fit much better than the durangos. The roll pin hole is much closer to the outer bearing, so you need hardly any shims. The roll pin hole also accepts the roll pin provided with the plastic hexes, unlike the durango. NOTE: You do have to drill out the plastic wheel hexes to 5mm or 13/64th which is close enough. Otherwise they won't slide over the axle shaft.

Parts below are the best bet.

I got the shorter axles so the thread only reaches the end of the wheel nut. I would advise getting the extended rear axles.

CVD Kit: PR66400546
http://www.casterracingparts.com/ind...product_id=703

Extended Rear axles: PR66410016
http://www.casterracingparts.com/ind...product_id=633

I would also recommend someone trying the VBC buggy rear axles. They also look like they might fit.

Last edited by Khan48; 10-24-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Have a nearly brand new Cactus for sale (only run 3 packs on it) with a ton of brand new parts. Check it out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post13646354
Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Just did a video of the Cactus on the local dirt track and decided to share it cos I don't see that many 3Racing Cactus running videos on YouTube. Enjoy!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

my aluminum chassis came in the mail Saturday going to start getting it together Monday tuesdayish
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by one18thscalerac View Post
my aluminum chassis came in the mail Saturday going to start getting it together Monday tuesdayish
+1

What surface are you going to run it on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.