Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle 1410 and mmp esc timing question >

Castle 1410 and mmp esc timing question

Castle 1410 and mmp esc timing question

Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Castle 1410 and mmp esc timing question

What settings have you all had good results with the 1410 when setting the timing setting on the esc. I did a search and found mixed info, from setting the esc to 0 and some setting it to 10. Racing tonight so I don't have time to test... my street is covered in snow atm!

Using it in a sc10 4x4 with mmp. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

In heavier vehicles the castle 1410 motor and any other motor seems to react to timing advances with heat when it cannot spool up, if you are geared low enough to let the motor reach its most comfortable rpm under load then timing may benefit you. Timing in sensorless motors is also a sort of hit or miss depending on how well your motor was wound I have 3 castle 1410 motors and they all behave differently under timing advances and gearing changes I would say if your running on the cooler side of things push the timing up in 5 degree steps until it heats up then back off.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info. I raced tonight with it set at 5 on the mmp and geared with a 14T pinion with the sc10 4x4 standard kit 32 pitch spur. It worked great. I have been using a tekin 5.5 550 for the last 2 seasons but decided to give the 1410 another shot to see how it compared. Previously I used the 1410 with mmp set to 0 timing. For some reason, it seems a bit smoother off the line than what I remember. It is using more mah than with it set at 0. Going racing again on Sat. and will try the 0 setting to compare. Lap times between the 550 5.5 and the 1410 were very close, with my average being within a tenth of second for an 8 min. main. The 1410 had more punch while the tekin was a bit smoother. The 1410 did run much cooler- barely above ambient temperature after the main and used less mah then the tekin.

One area where the sensored motor was better was when the wheels reached 0 rpm there was maybe a 1/4 second delay in getting back on whereas the sensored motor was instantaneous. I learned to adjust my driving... to not brake so hard in the air that all drive train momentum was lost and that seemed to work. Other than radios with the abs braking systems, I'm wondering if there is a way to combat this as I ended up endoing in my first heat when I grabbed a bunch of brake in the air... we have a 'peaky' double out of a corner and it didn't react at first when I grabbed the throttle to level it back out.