R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Need help on getting into SCT racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/698123-need-help-getting-into-sct-racing.html)

ajshoots 01-23-2013 02:37 AM

Need help on getting into SCT racing

I am selling out my dirt oval stuff and getting into offroad. Getting out of oval due to low attendence and overall cost factor versus car counts. SCT seems to be the biggest classes both indoor and outdoor in my area. I plan to run both 2wd and 4x4. I like the idea of sticking with one brand so that parts are somewhat compatible(If that is the case with any of them??).

Seems AE and Losi are the best options from what I have been told and read. My concern with the SC10 2wd is that it is an older platform and don't want to buy then something new is released soon after? Will be racing both indoor and outdoor. Is there any major draw backs to Losi or AE and is it just a matter of spending the time to learn setup and driving per brand? Are there any other GOOD options to Losi or AE??

I know that in dirt oval there are multiple manufacturers that all build high quality fast cars, and one is not neccesarily better than the others. Its all what you prefer. All can win and be fast with good setups and driving. Is this the case with offroad, or is there major differences per brand??

Thanks for your time
Aaron

McD44 01-23-2013 03:32 AM

The 2wd and 4x4 options are vastly different even within a brand. Tuning will not be similar at all TBH.

IMH SCT racing is obnoxious. 4x4 has a 2s limit leading to extremely high strain on the electronics and 2wd is so light that the gigantic bodies cause a terrible parachute effect on jumps (better hope there is no wind). Too much bumping and ramming and newbs with overpowered trucks ruined it for me. I highly recommend checking out the next most popular class and trying that out if you're used to real racing. 2wd buggy is awesome and 1/8 scale e-buggy is great. 4x4 SCT trucks are basically 1/8 scale buggies with short bus bodies anyway and you get to run big motors and 4s lipos.

ajshoots 01-23-2013 04:03 AM

Ya, I am aware of the SCT class issues. I would prefer to run 1/8e buggy and 2wd buggy, but from my understanding in my area, 2wd is a decent indoor class and 1/8e is a decent outdoor class, but that would leave one car sitting in the trailer for a season!! Getting rid of some really nice oval rides due to low car counts and cars sitting in the trailer! Basically running SCT only due to it being the strongest class at all tracks in my area. Will eventually get a buggy, but right now just wanting to have fun. Something oval hasn't been lately!!

Thanks for the reply!

craigsfocus 01-23-2013 04:10 AM

Look into the new Tekno SCT410. I plan on getting when I get home. It shares alot of parts with their buggy.

rcgod 01-23-2013 08:41 AM

My suggestion is get trucks that share the same wheel offsets. Losi scte, tekno sc410, and losi 22sct. The ae sc104x4 can use the same offset but works better with +3mm wheels.

Skiboblitch 01-23-2013 09:02 AM

It sounds like the Losi 22 would be your best bet. You've got the SCT and buggy. I don't have either one of these vehicles so I don't know what differences they have but they seem to have what you're looking for.

Hoese37 01-23-2013 09:12 AM

Dont count out the Kyosho Ultima SC. Handles 10x better than an SC10, and Im an AE guy.

Badcompny44 01-23-2013 09:24 AM

Check out durangos desc210 and desc410. The 410 is one of the best 4wds out there. The 2wd is still pretty new but a great truck once a few minor bugs are worked out. I've been racing the desc210 for a few months and it runs and handles awesome. Plus the durabilty of these is like no other. The can take a beating and keep on going. Thats why I went with em. The do take a little more time to get dialed in but it's worth it. The only problem people have is getting parts. So check to see if a LHS or track has parts available. For me I have plenty of shops that carry em so its not a problem. Really the only bug with the desc210 is the stock cvds are too short. Just replace those and it's a top of the line truck. Also they do share a few of the same parts between the 410 and 210. Hope this helps

BillyT. 01-23-2013 09:43 AM

Get a SCTE or a Slash, put an RX8 and the highest KV motor you can in it, and drive like you are the only one on the track.

:ha:

Gene158 01-23-2013 09:55 AM

I run 4x4 sc and I love it but at the same time, the class is pretty rough. The problem is there are so many noobs that it turns into a demo derby. It seems that 2wd sc is a little cleaner, at least where I race. You still get some noobs but its more of a driver's class than 4x4. Im thinking of getting a 22sct myself. If you go 4x4, definitely get the scte or check out the new tekno platform.

ajshoots 01-23-2013 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies!! Had looked at the Durango's, but no parts locally.
Anyone run OFNA? Had a few of there nitro and electric 1/8 oval late models. Always were good cars and won alot of races with them. Are they even a contender in offroad??

chevmaro 01-23-2013 01:07 PM

Ofna SC's are good. They are the same I believe as a TeamC TS2 and TS4. And from what I hear the TS2/TS4 have more hopups installed. If you have OFNA local parts support just get the TeamC and most should interchange.

fq06 01-23-2013 01:14 PM

My vote for 4x SCT goes to any of the conversion trucks, tekno, krio rapture (caster), or (for now) the DIY Mugen SCT conversion.

For 2x SCT losi 22, kyosho is also fast but less than 5% of the 2x trucks at our track is kyosho... must be a reason but I'm not a 2x guy so can't say.

ajshoots 01-24-2013 10:39 AM

I have decided on the SCTE and a 22SCT. Is the $129 kit for the SCTE a must or good investment? Are there any badly needed upgrades for either truck?? I have 4 mmp's so really don't want to change esc's, but will an mmp work with the scte and what motor? I am aware that many are using the RX8 but will the mmp work fine? Had a slash 4x4 a few years ago with an mmp and 3800castle. It ran great, but only ran it on ovals. Thanks for any and all help. Just want to buy the right stuff to start with and hate wasting money on unneccesary upgrades. Will a Spektrum 6040 work fine in an SCTE or would a 6100 be better?? Have plenty of both.

blade329 01-24-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ajshoots (Post 11722782)
I have decided on the SCTE and a 22SCT. Is the $129 kit for the SCTE a must or good investment? Are there any badly needed upgrades for either truck?? I have 4 mmp's so really don't want to change esc's, but will an mmp work with the scte and what motor? I am aware that many are using the RX8 but will the mmp work fine? Had a slash 4x4 a few years ago with an mmp and 3800castle. It ran great, but only ran it on ovals. Thanks for any and all help. Just want to buy the right stuff to start with and hate wasting money on unneccesary upgrades. Will a Spektrum 6040 work fine in an SCTE or would a 6100 be better?? Have plenty of both.

SCTE is an excellent choice for 4wd. I totally love mine! If you are going to race an SCTE, you should get these two upgrades.

1. TLR race kit
2. Aluminum chassis (TLR, King Headz, Bump, etc)

The MMP will work fine. Not familiar with the 3800 castle motor. I use the Tekin Pro4 4600kv motor and it rocks. Lots of good choices out there, just make sure you stick with an SCT designed motor.