R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Newbie question, people recommend me 6,5T motors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/697930-newbie-question-people-recommend-me-6-5t-motors.html)

coretex 01-22-2013 01:02 PM

Newbie question, people recommend me 6,5T motors

Sorry for asking. Tried searching but found nothing here.
We run normal indoor carpet tracks with 2WD and 4WD 1:10 buggies. I am looking for a new motor and need recommendations.

To my understanding, most people around locally run 6,5 or even 5,5T at tracks. However, reading forums here most people talk about 10,5T. Why? what do I do?

chevmaro 01-22-2013 01:19 PM

What are you running now? 5.5 and 6.5 motors are pretty darn fast in a 4wd buggy and too big for a 2wd buggy.

I run a 10.5 in my 2wd and a 8.5 in my 4wd.

coretex 01-22-2013 01:22 PM

i now run a leopard 9t 4370KV sensorless 540 brushless

tc5 man 01-22-2013 03:12 PM

No way man would i run a 6.5 t motor in a 2wd lol. Get a 10.5 turn it will give you plently of torque/speed !

Odin544 01-22-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by coretex (Post 11713491)
Sorry for asking. Tried searching but found nothing here.
We run normal indoor carpet tracks with 2WD and 4WD 1:10 buggies. I am looking for a new motor and need recommendations.

To my understanding, most people around locally run 6,5 or even 5,5T at tracks. However, reading forums here most people talk about 10,5T. Why? what do I do?

Its kind of pointless for people to recommend a particular motor for you to use. 99.9% of people will not be running the same track as you. 99.9% of people will have a different driving style than you. 99.9% of people will have a different level of experience than you. All these things play a role in which motor to buy.

You should ask this question to the people you run with locally. Find out what is working for them and why they like it. Find out if you have any team drivers locally that will be able to help you with gearing or setup. Find out what the local hobbyshop carries and support them if you can.

This is like ford vs chevy. Its personal preference. One person may feel brand X is the best/fastest motor. The next person will tell you brand Y is the best/fastest and that brand X was slow when they used it.

One of the biggest things that differentiates a good company from a not so good one is their support for their products. That's why I choose Tekin in all my cars. ;) I dont play the "motor of the week" game. But I do get asked why my cars are so fast compared to others. :lol: I make my motor work for me. Some people cant seem to do that and feel they need to buy every motor on the market because they think it's all about the motor.

4wd I am running a 6.5 Gen2. 2wd I run a 8.5 Gen2.

Johnnysplits 01-22-2013 05:33 PM

I run a 7.5T mod motor in a 2wd sc10 but it's running on a huge 1/8 scale outdoor track. Way too hot of a motor for an indoor carpet track and for some indoor clay tracks too.

coretex 01-24-2013 10:06 AM

I took it to a store and they told me the ESC was maybe too weak (60A). Can this be related? We tried another engine with no change.

asc6000 01-24-2013 10:43 AM

going fast costs money
you overtrigger it and run times suffer
so you buy a high power battery
so much power you crash more
breaking more parts
having too much power actually makes your laps SLOWER
but it is fun to have that power
you decide
I'd suggest lower power, 10.5 4wd -13.5 2wd is good most of the time.
If you are driving great and getting beat by inches then add some power.
Just make sure it's not so much that you make one mistake that erases those seconds.