Mugen MBX6 Eco LIPO

Reply

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
  #16  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cmnyj28rctech View Post
Wow, looks cool, I was pondering going 3s or 4s, I've got 2s packs now..
If going 3s, check out SMC. They have a 3s in a 2s case
fq06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
  #17  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (50)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 801
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
If going 3s, check out SMC. They have a 3s in a 2s case
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=138

These you are speaking about?
cmnyj28rctech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
  #18  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cmnyj28rctech View Post
Yep, no inboard plugs unfortunately... only wires coming out of the case.
139mm length.

Not sure if the 300g weight is a typo, maybe ask Danny in the SMC thread in electric offroad. If they are 300g, that's the same as a 2s

That would be a sick setup with a high kv 1/8 motor.

Their 4s are supposed to be really good for the money also. Haven't run them, my Mugen got converted to SCT as there are rarely enough to get a class going at my track.
fq06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
  #19  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (50)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 801
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
Yep, no inboard plugs unfortunately... only wires coming out of the case.
139mm length.

Not sure if the 300g weight is a typo, maybe ask Danny in the SMC thread in electric offroad. If they are 300g, that's the same as a 2s

That would be a sick setup with a high kv 1/8 motor.
ok I will
cmnyj28rctech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
  #20  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (37)
 
Dnnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 448
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

This thread is becoming very helpful. Maby more Eco owners will post what they are running for lipos. I would go SMC over Gens Ace, especially now that they jumped their prices up.
Dnnap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
  #21  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (50)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 801
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dnnap View Post
This thread is becoming very helpful. Maby more Eco owners will post what they are running for lipos. I would go SMC over Gens Ace, especially now that they jumped their prices up.
I'm definitely leaning that way
cmnyj28rctech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
  #22  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I picked up a low IR race spec 2s 7200 for my Mugen and have been very pleased. Runs as well if not better than my $110 Reedy 6500 and does not puff after 10 min like the Reedy did.

I ran SMC nimh a decade ago and they were the best in the biz then... looks like they are working on getting that crown back in the lipo biz.
fq06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM
  #23  
Tech Adept
 
d_scientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pen, Malaysia
Posts: 163
Default

Hi chaps!

I've been running the turnigy nanotechs 2S x 2 65c, 6000MAH. They are actually the best value for money + performs on par with many others pricer packs.

I have a total of 12 packs of these already for a good 2-3 hours of running at my local track.

You might wanna have a look at this review and you'll understand what I mean:
http://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&rc...41248874,d.bmk
d_scientist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
  #24  
Tech Adept
 
d_scientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pen, Malaysia
Posts: 163
Default

Oh by the way, they are $38.73 each if you use the code I give you below:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...A-90B46D4B7880
d_scientist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
  #25  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I have run nano's for years and they are a good value.

In my lighter AE sc10 4x there was little to no difference between the 6600's and the Reedy 6500.

In comes the 7.2lb Mugen SCT conversion...

Whole different story. More weight, less wheel spin.

The Reedy's were now performing far better than the nano's... night and day difference.
SMC's at about half the cost are right on par performance wise with the Reedy's.

That's 2s though. I doubt there is such a noticeable difference with 4s as the amp demands are way less.

As far as IR, the Reedy and SMC are in the 2's... nano's are over 5 the last time I checked. My friend that got back into rc has been using them for a few months so I haven't had them on my charger to see how they are doing lately.

As far as DOA packs from Hobbyking, haven't had one in years of buying from them. Have head about them, but haven't received them. Correction... I got a 1700 2s for my 1/18 scale and it was DOA, but it was $8 so I didn't even try to get a replacement, my friend wanted one too so I threw another one in on the order.
fq06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM
  #26  
Tech Adept
 
d_scientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pen, Malaysia
Posts: 163
Default

I did use the 6.6ah and the 5.8ah ones... they are not as punchy as the 6aH ones... weirdly enuf!
d_scientist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
  #27  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by d_scientist View Post
I did use the 6.6ah and the 5.8ah ones... they are not as punchy as the 6aH ones... weirdly enuf!
That's Hobbyking quality control, the 6.6 should be stronger than the others. I had a 5.8 and the 6.6 was way better. Hit and miss.

But for the money you gotta expect that every once in a while you get an out of spec pack.

When I ordered the 7200 from SMC it was very soft. I PM'd Danny and he said that he was just figuring out that his last shipment was out of spec.
I sent it back and he mailed one from the next batch and it was on fire.

It happens to all the companies, SMC caught it and made it right. Was up front about it and sold them on his site as "out of spec" packs for about 25% less for someone looking for a deal and doesn't race.
fq06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
  #28  
Tech Adept
 
d_scientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pen, Malaysia
Posts: 163
Default

well.. its well possible.. but so far I'm liking the 6000mAH ones. By the way, anyone tried revolectrix??? I've got the PL6 charger... SUPERB!!! have yet to giv their hard packs a go. According to heli fliers, after 100 cycle, their lipos are still in near 100% condition. Losta punch for 3D flight and etc. Price wise, about 50 bucks for their hardpacks (ard 5-6AH)
d_scientist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM
  #29  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by d_scientist View Post
well.. its well possible.. but so far I'm liking the 6000mAH ones. By the way, anyone tried revolectrix??? I've got the PL6 charger... SUPERB!!! have yet to giv their hard packs a go. According to heli fliers, after 100 cycle, their lipos are still in near 100% condition. Losta punch for 3D flight and etc. Price wise, about 50 bucks for their hardpacks (ard 5-6AH)
Powerlab6 on my bench

Best charger I've seen. Will actually get a little more initial punch out of packs with it compared to my last charger and a couple friends that I've used over the past year.

Was really surprised and thought it must be a placebo effect. Brought my old charger the next race to beta test and sure enough the powerlab put a stronger charge in the pack.

Must get the voltage to the ceiling better than others? I know they charge to 4.22v per cell or something, they say the excess falls off very quickly right after a charge so you are left with a full 4.2v when you hit the track.
fq06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
  #30  
Tech Adept
 
d_scientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pen, Malaysia
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
Powerlab6 on my bench

Best charger I've seen. Will actually get a little more initial punch out of packs with it compared to my last charger and a couple friends that I've used over the past year.

Was really surprised and thought it must be a placebo effect. Brought my old charger the next race to beta test and sure enough the powerlab put a stronger charge in the pack.

Must get the voltage to the ceiling better than others? I know they charge to 4.22v per cell or something, they say the excess falls off very quickly right after a charge so you are left with a full 4.2v when you hit the track.
yup! that is so true!!! do you do parallel charging? I got their MPA board and currently waiting on my 24v PSU (using a 15V one) to fully hit the 30 Amp range of charging!One downfall to parallel charging is that I need to ensure similar voltages before I charge...

Therefore after runs, I power them back to storage capacity (2 lipos each - about 10-15 minutes). then on the day of running, I charge them up to 100% 6 at a time!
d_scientist is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service