R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default A different way to up grade to AD2

I have a different way to up grade my XXX-NT to AD 2. I have a lot of great rear tires, So I wanted to use them on my Truck. I am not going to use the rear hubs and CVDs. I am going to use the rear hubs from the XXX-T. They have the same two hinge pins holes as the Alumimun AD2, but use the same Axle as the XXX-NT.
What does everybody think about this idea ? I can save about $50.00 to $75.00 also.
Thanks , Rick Harris.
fastandclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Tech Regular

It won't work. The hinge pin holes on the AD2 arms are much to large. The AD2 uses bolts instead of hinges. Also the CVD's on the AD2 are much longer than the XXX-nt or XXX-t.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

To be able to do what you are saying, you will need to purchase the arm bushings and drill them out 1/8" so the hinge pins will fit. Then you will need to purchase a set of inner front hinge pins because the stock old rear outer hinge pins are not long enough. Then if you get the MF2 or BK2 rear hubs you can still use the VLA adjustments. You will need to use two .050 and one .090 shock spacers to center the hubs in the arms. I did the work on mine today to be able to use up all my old tires.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:13 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks T. Thomas. I have all the parts you say I need. I have not started work yet because I am still waiting on the parts to come from Ebay. I got Front and rear arms from the AD2 A-9712 and A-9815. I got front spindle/carrier from the AD2 A-1126. I got the rear hub carrier from the XXX-T MF2 A-2123. Did you space the rear hub foward or rearward ? Does it handle better than before ? What set-up did you use ? I know the kit uses pink rear springs , but all the set-ups use red or orange rear springs.
Thanks again for the info.
Rick Harris
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I put the .090 spacer in front of the hub, it is almost centered. I run a set-up very close to Adam Drakes Hemet set-up. I haven't run it with the plastic hubs yet. With the plastic hubs, it should preform very very similar to the old truck if you ran 1 degree hubs on the old truck, I use to run 2 degree hubs on the old truck. I just know which parts it takes to make the platic hubs to work, and what modifications need to be made. I will know how it handles after next week, I am going to practice ith it at the Gas Nats to see how it feels, but I will prolly race with the new hubs and bones.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the great info. Where is the Gas Nats ?
I ran the 1 degree hubs in my nt. As the track would dry out it would get loose. That is why I want to up grade. I tryed the 2 degree hubs and it would push in the real twisty parts of the track.
I look forward to hearing how the plastic hubs compare to the aluminum. I will get the new hubs after I wear out the two sets of rear tires.
Thanks again, Rick Harris.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
Tech Regular

The gas nats are in Harlingen TX, the dirt is from what I heard similar to vegas. I am hopeing that the plastic hubs will work very similar tot he newer aluminum hubs. Since the Nats are next weekend I will be able to let ya know the following week how they compared.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Sounds great about the Gas Nats, I will be waiting for your evaluation.
Well I got all my parts in and I put them on my XXX-Nt. The arms look a lot stronger both front and rear. I know I broke a lot of the front arms. I did not use the losi bushing, but I made me some with my Unimat lathe out of some plastic tubing.
They work fine ,but a little tight on the hinge pin. I did use the spacers like you said. I have not gotten to run it yet, but I hope to get to practice before Saturday's race. I hope you do great at the Gas Nats.
Thanks,
Rick Harris
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So has anyone tried this yet. If so how did it work.
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
Tech Regular

WHen I drove my AD2 in practice with the plastic hubs with old CVD's, it performed very close to the new hub set-up. It did have a slight less amount of sidebite but nothing drastic. Will only be noticed on a low bite track. The new rear hubs do give a much better tuneing option other than just short or long arm. With the old AD1 I ran with 2 degree rear hubs with Adama Hemet Set-up, and found a set-up with the AD2 that handles very close to the old truck, I went to long arm but in the uper hole in the hubs. If you want a less expensive way to upgrade the way I posted early works great with the MF2 or BK2 rear hubs. But when you can afford getting the new hubs I highly suggest it.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

I finished making my adaptors to run the plastic hubs from the XXX-T MF2. I also got to test the truck on our track. It was very dry and normally hard to drive with the old AD1 set up, but with the AD2 set up it was almost pushy. I did lose a little low speed steering. I came back home and made me some adaptors that move the hup forward and that did the trick. I like the set up very well and can use my old rear tires for practice as well on my XXX-T.
I made the adaptors out of 1/4" aluminum bar stock that I got from Lowe's $2.50 and made them on my Unimat lathe. I will try to get some pictures.
Thanks and Happy Racin
Rick Harris.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Here are some pictures of my adaptors.
I hope you can see them.
Rick Harris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad24.jpg (173.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Here are some more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad21.jpg (163.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Here are some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad22.jpg (173.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

The last one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad23.jpg (169.2 KB, 55 views)