Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ramps

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default ramps

i live in a college dorm and there is a lobby that is pretty big with marble floor. I want to build a ramp and don't want to pay 10 bucks at towerhobbies. Any ramp suggestions? building ramps?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what car are you using
Old 04-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

You could find some scrap wood,make 2sides and a ramp or you could take some books and put a piece of plywood on them.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

go to like home depot and get 1 long pice of those big rectangular pices and a pice of plywood but dont kake it too big then cut the long pice of wood in to 3rd then put 1 one and each side and for the 3rd on put it in between the 1st and 2nd one
Old 04-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

heard of constructioin sites before? aside from the random bits of wood and stuff you might find there you can find a mound of dirt. or go to target and ask for cardboard boxes. free. get enough of those its definitly strong enough. and hey, a new home lol
Old 04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Tech Rookie

cut out the sides using half inch plywood to the desires angle, run 1by1's acros the top like a skateboard ramp and then buy quater inch playwood and nail it down on the 1by1's but not the plywood sides because it will split the sides. heres one of my ramps i made for my xxxt. see the way i screwed the 1by1s into the inside of the sides? the supporters in the middle help keep the 1/4 inch plywood down in the curve.

and a paint job...

hope this helps
keep in mind this is using only scrap wood, a belt sander, jig saw, drill, screws and nails, and wood glue.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

That looks strong enough to be a skateboard ramp.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

all i did was get two pies of wood cut them both out equally in a wedge shape thean nail planks of wood down them ,secure the underside with a furring strip and its done , similar to nwarren2009's ramp.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by greencactus3
heard of constructioin sites before? aside from the random bits of wood and stuff you might find there you can find a mound of dirt. or go to target and ask for cardboard boxes. free. get enough of those its definitly strong enough. and hey, a new home lol
dude, me and my friend took what we thought was "scrap" and the cops showed up like two weeks later...and we had to take all of the wood back....we were gonna build a half pipe....so much for that...but the cardboard box idea is good....
Old 04-17-2005, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's only scrap/waste if the site forman says it is, otherwise, really, it is stealing, petty I know, but maybe one of the tradesmen had it lined up for something, lol.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, I know, they use it for concrete forms, braces, etc. and it costs $ to get new stuff, so they say it is worth that of brand new wood.....
You could also make a ramp out of cloroplast (corogated plastic), which you can buy online, or find at your local gas station....you know, those things that hold bottles of oil,sodas, etc. that just sit there at the gas station, and have advertisements on them....
Old 04-17-2005, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

heres one... If you have a car, take the spare tire cover outta the trunk and prop some books or sumptin up under it. Those things are pretty sturdy too.