R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default offroad tire "secrets"

any body have any feedback on tire tricks? ive seen guys dremel the sides, cut every other rib on the inside, light them on fire w/motor spray, i understand these, but would like to hear if anyone else has anything to add and whats the purpose of there modifacation?
thedoc329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

there is a pretty good tire discussion thread on www.rc10b4.com you may want to shoot your question there as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Simple Green!
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Tire and foam prep is the most important thing to do....cut 1/8th inch off the corner of the corner of the foams on the outher and inner parts....then turn your tires inside out and trim any excess crap off the bead...dremmel or clean the wheel bead....and make sure the foam is seated very evenly throughout the tire to keep the think balanced as much as possible. Once you're all glued-up and ready, balance them with a prop balancer and you'll be ready to rip!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:18 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I wrote up a quick tire tech tip article on my website

http://www.doughtyuk.net/index.php?pid=11

pretty much all of it has been said all ready other than the air holes.

I find bigger air hole work best, as once your tire is compressed it allows it to re-inflate to the way it should be. let the foam keep the tires shape not the air
Old 04-15-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Hey Proctor, try using Paragon Ground Effects on your off-road tires next time you goto LI Raceway.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Scrubb, actually had good luck doing that to refresh my tires if I didn't have any simple green to clean them up. Worked quite well.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

mark, i tried that and everything else i could think of, theres GOT to be something else they do to those damn tires!
Old 04-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

Paragon... such a naughty word. Honestly Zip Free works best, also try coating the inside of the tire in motor spray with a rag before you glue them, it helps soften it.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default killer tip

I know this is hard to believe but spray mounted tires with WD40 and place in plastic garbage bag. With new tires, spray every three days until you get the desired softness. WD40 drastically softens the tires and it also softens the insert slightly. Be careful not to soak the tires. Just coat them with the miracle do-all spray. If the tires are allowed to sit in a puddle of solution, the tire will develop a bubble. I keep my tires in the bag at all times. I do not soak the fronts as much. Maybe only one treatment for the fronts. This is hard to believe but it really works. If you are skeptic, try it on some old tires. On race days, I do clean with Simple Green between heats. I do not use WD40 at the track. Heat speeds up the softening process such as leaving the bag of tires in the sun. Disclaimer: I am not responsible for tires getting too soft just fast on the track. Can you say gumballs. Later......
CashMan` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

You can use WD-40...but I like Buggy Grip and motor spray....just spray a crap load of motor spray all over the inside and outside of the tire, and put them in a ziplock bag and let sit....then put buggy grip all over the tires inside and outside and put back in the zip-lock and let sit....The motor spray opens the pores of the rubber and allows the buggy grip to be more easily absorbed into the rubber. Once they're dry, mount them up on the rim....Once the glue is dry and ready....spray the motor spray all over the tire again, light the tires on fire and apply buggy grip again...you'll be ready to rock!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Default yep

I agree with you but WD40 is much cheaper than buying cans of buggy grip and motor spray. That buggy grip is high dollar.
CashMan` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Hey Proctor, are you trying to figure out what they do at LI?
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

i wouldnt say l.i.r. in particular, but just in general, ive got the whole compound/insert/buggy grip/simple green thing down fine, but maybe theres more to it than you or me might know, i never heard the motor spray in a bag thing ive tried simple green in a bag, that works o.k. i guess my main objective by creating this topic is to see if theres anything else that people are doing were there doing it and why, theres always room for more options, and seeing that tires are the #1 tuning option its definetly interesting to hear other peoples applications to there tires, and oh yea, almost forgot, the nats. are only like 3 months away!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

oh yea thanks nick for the info on the l.i.r. stuff!!