Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrma Vortex Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Arrma Vortex Thread

Ok, so instead of multiple threads on the Vortex, I'm going to consolidate everything here, and will update this thread when something new happens.

1/1/2013
Brand new Vortex, noticed the stock 1500 mAh battery was only lasting a couple minutes.

Also noticed the car did NOT want to roll. Odd with a brushed motor, so I went into it to find out what was going on!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Found the problem! Gear mesh had NO lash out of the box!

1/2/2013
The car is bouncy. Time to tune the shocks a bit!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

1/3/2013
Swapped the stock Tamiya to HXT 4mm, switch the MEGAesc to LiPo mode, and with a 3000 mAh 2S 30C LiPo, we have this!

+ YouTube Video

1/8/2013

Installed an RPM Wide Bumper!

Yeah, I barely consider this a 'mod' it's so darn easy!!

I'll be putting her through the ringer later today when I head down to the Ocala RC track

Enjoy!

+ YouTube Video

1/12/2013
Took the Vortex out to the local offroad track, and bashed it up a little. New video of the Vortex in action!

+ YouTube Video

1/17/2013
Did a comparison of NiMH vs LiPo in an otherwise stock Arrma Vortex!
+ YouTube Video

Last edited by uberDoward; 01-19-2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Added new video.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Well take that as a lesson. .when ever I buy a rtr (not offen ) I aways go through it before you run it !
Pinion locktie on..
Mesh set ..
Slipper pad check..
Wheels tight ..
Ect...

O and thats normal for that battery .
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bronc4now
Well take that as a lesson. .when ever I buy a rtr (not offen ) I aways go through it before you run it !
Pinion locktie on..
Mesh set ..
Slipper pad check..
Wheels tight ..
Ect...

O and thats normal for that battery .
Yeah, the car REALLY woke up with just a 3000 mAh 2S LiPo in there. I just finished uploading a video of that.

That's a damn shame, really. No reason at all I should have to go through a READY TO RUN vehicle to fix factory screw ups. You should have seen the shocks - barely filled at all
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by uberDoward
Yeah, the car REALLY woke up with just a 3000 mAh 2S LiPo in there. I just finished uploading a video of that.

That's a damn shame, really. No reason at all I should have to go through a READY TO RUN vehicle to fix factory screw ups. You should have seen the shocks - barely filled at all
When you order from those lesser knows, lower quality manufacturers, going through the truck is a must. Fluids in shocks/diffs, gear mesh, tighten down all screws, make sure there is no binding. Watch just one of theJangs URC videos on youtube on models like this and almost every time he will find something wrong from the factory.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Devigili22
When you order from those lesser knows, lower quality manufacturers, going through the truck is a must. Fluids in shocks/diffs, gear mesh, tighten down all screws, make sure there is no binding. Watch just one of theJangs URC videos on youtube on models like this and almost every time he will find something wrong from the factory.
Why is that accepted in this industry?

If I bought *anything* else I can think of, and had to work on it when I expected to be able to pull it out and immediately run it, I'd be upset.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah it really isn't acceptable. The issue is that these car really need to be built with a lot of care. That's why they generally come as kits. So when one tries to mass produce them cheaply, things like this happen.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X8000
Yeah it really isn't acceptable. The issue is that these car really need to be built with a lot of care. That's why they generally come as kits. So when one tries to mass produce them cheaply, things like this happen.
Why you ask..this ^^^^ is why.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

building kits FTW!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
building kits FTW!
+1 Lots and lots of upsides if you can do it correctly.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

True, but the appeal of RTR is pull it and go!

Consolidating all my Vortex info into one thread....
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Nice job with the threads. Also yeah rtr does have that instant appeal, but it's also very rewarding to build the car yourself. It also means you can fix the car yourself, which is nice.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Nice job with the threads. Also yeah rtr does have that instant appeal, but it's also very rewarding to build the car yourself. It also means you can fix the car yourself, which is nice.
RTR doesn't preclude you fixing things yourself; for me, I'd be unhappy to build a kit and then find out that say... the diff needs to be upgraded, so I have to tear it back down yet again, and build it yet again.

At least with an RTR, I get the fun of breaking it before I have to take it apart I think that's why I own so many RCs - when one breaks, I can toss it on the shelf until I WANT to work on it!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

The difference is that the kits are usually higher quality and won't break as easily as the RTR. Also, you don't always have to upgrade something on a kit when it breaks. Sometimes things break because you made a mistake, not because they're inherently weak. Somethings are also just disposable and wear out over time, and so get replaced periodically (with the same thing).
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Tech Initiate

The difference is that the kits are usually higher quality and won't break as easily as the RTR. Also, you don't always have to upgrade something on a kit when it breaks. Sometimes things break because you made a mistake, not because they're inherently weak. Somethings are also just disposable and wear out over time, and so get replaced periodically (with the same thing).
True, I just wish I could get an RTR with RPM level durability!

How do I change the thread title from Gear Mesh... to just "Arrma Vortex Thread"?

Last edited by uberDoward; 01-05-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uberDoward
True, I just wish I could get an RTR with RPM level durability!

How do I change the thread title from Gear Mesh... to just "Arrma Vortex Thread"?
Thread title done, I'll delete the others. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.